Why become a member? ×

How to produce 'stems'

Skol303

A (hopefully!) quick question for those in the know...

I'm looking to export/render the individual channels of a track as 'stems' for someone else to remix.

Should I...

A. Export each channel exactly as it stands within the mix? Or...

B. Standardise the volume of each channel by boosting the db of quieter instruments before creating the stems? - eg. export each channel at as close to zero db as possible (as if they'd been normalised).

PS: this isn't a commercial job or anything... Just an old track that a friend of mine wants to tinker with.

Any advice gratefully received! :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' post='1361697' date='Sep 4 2011, 12:38 PM']A (hopefully!) quick question for those in the know...

I'm looking to export/render the individual channels of a track as 'stems' for someone else to remix.

Should I...

A. Export each channel exactly as it stands within the mix? Or...

B. Standardise the volume of each channel by boosting the db of quieter instruments before creating the stems? - eg. export each channel at as close to zero db as possible (as if they'd been normalised).

PS: this isn't a commercial job or anything... Just an old track that a friend of mine wants to tinker with.

Any advice gratefully received! :)[/quote]

If he wants to tinker give him the wavs for all tracks. In order to provide stems you would have to edit and mix the parts into stems which would be a lot of your time for his gain.

Remember if you're sending just the audio you need to make sure that each track starts at the beginning of the song and that all edits within a track have been joined together into a single audio file for each individual track.

Other than that do nothing except label the files so that it's obvious what each one is.

If any of the parts were recorded starting from somewhere other different from the rest of the tracks ("we'll just need to record the choruses on this track, one at a time, I'll give you a four bar count in, ok?") then you need to render the tracks to stems.

Turn off all the fx, set the volume to unity gain (ie 0) check there are no overdubs and then try and find something that can do a render of all the indivisuil tracks, Reaper (I know, but bare with me I use it a lot!) lets you render all the selectted tracks in a project to whatever bit depth output and sample rate you like. Best bet is retain the samplerate and bit depth and render as wavs.

This way your mayte doesnt need to line anything up as all the tracks start at 0:00:00 in the project.

If everything starts there already then just send him the original wavs.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1363148' date='Sep 5 2011, 05:44 PM']If any of the parts were recorded starting from somewhere other different from the rest of the tracks ("we'll just need to record the choruses on this track, one at a time, I'll give you a four bar count in, ok?") then you need to render the tracks to stems.[/quote]

^ Yep, this is exactly the case with this particular track.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1363148' date='Sep 5 2011, 05:44 PM']...Reaper (I know, but bare with me I use it a lot!) lets you render all the selectted tracks in a project to whatever bit depth output and sample rate you like. Best bet is retain the samplerate and bit depth and render as wavs.

This way your mayte doesnt need to line anything up as all the tracks start at 0:00:00 in the project.[/quote]

^ Ha ha! Well... you'll be happy to know that this particular track [u]was[/u] originally produced using Reaper (I still use it whenever I want access to VSTs, as I'm normally a slave to Propellerhead...). So I had a quick shufty at the render options and there it is - a simple click and I was able to render each track as a stem, starting at 00:00.

Cheers 51m0n! :) This has saved my mate a lot of time and made me look like I know what I'm doing (well, at least in my mate's opinion... shhhh).