Why become a member? ×

I need you fx guru's to give me some advice pretty please...

Raslee

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1359296' date='Sep 1 2011, 10:23 PM']Or just set your EQ flat, roll in a little more bass and use the Moog MF-101 to cut the top end from the sound and fatten up the lows like you've never heard!!![/quote]
I'm sold on the MF101 - i want one!!!!...just working out how much i'll get for the Mrs on eBay, my current rent boy rates etc etc.....I take it i've got this GAS thang then now :)

although the 101 is something i do want in the end, it is pretty huge and has another slightly inconvenient power supply requirement.

i have heard reports (mostly on TB) that the Iron Ether Xeorograph can do the dub thing very well too, and in a much smaller encolsure.

has anyone got one/compared them ? :)

edit : demo found

it's always difficult to get a precise idea from a ytv but, sounds promising to me.

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='Rasta' post='1359285' date='Sep 1 2011, 10:16 PM']Depends on the type of dub your trying to replicate and what bass your playing i guess but role your tone almost off, use your neck pick up if you have more than one and play close to the neck for a warmer tone. Flatwound strings are good or dead dirty rounds. Boost the bass on your amp, turn you mids almost off and your treble almost off...a little lo mid is good for definition - and a good speaker capable of holding the lows and particularly the cabinet.[/quote]

Thanks.

These days I'm mainly playing a Yamaha TRB---active humbuckers with 3 band eq. I'll try what you suggest and see how I get on. Suspect my amp will really struggle though :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1314912188' post='1359296']
Or just set your EQ flat, roll in a little more bass and use the Moog MF-101 to cut the top end from the sound and fatten up the lows like you've never heard!!!
[/quote]
Ok i've got the MF-101 now, how do you get the dub tone you mentioned, settings?

I'm struggling to get the sound in my first video i mentioned. I've got my Zoom 506IIBass with just a fuzz & octave sound from it and then going to the MF101 - do i need a better octave/fuzz pedals?? - I'm leaning back to getting a synth pedal and perhaps that going into the MF101. I'm using an expression pedal on the cut off on the MF101 with the cut off knob about half way.

Any suggestions on killer settings on the MF101 gladly welcome :) (Loving it as a funky envelope filter)

Edited by Rasta

Turn the cutoff to about 9 o'clock (or just above) & put it on 2 pole to start with. I have the res at @ 4, but if you want a bassier sound, take it down (between 0 & 2 has tonnes of bass! :) ).
Amount should be at 0 & the Mix at 10.

I notice Shep's on here too, let's see how our settings compare.

Dub tone - you don't need any other effects, although octave Down can't help.

On the LPF -
Res - 0
Mix - 10
Env - doesn't really matter
2 or 4 pole
Fast
Boost the bass on your Pre/before the filter.

Start with cutoff about half way, then start playing and slowly roll the cutoff back until it starts to go sub-tastic and remove all the top end. The more bass in the mix before it, the more pronounced it'll be. Octave down will fatten it more - seems the frequency response is best around the 12th fret on the A string when using an Octave down.

If you engage a fuzz before it you won't hear it with the cutoff that low, but if you then swell the cutoff with an expression pedal you can add some lovely synthy fat swells (add a little resonance if you do this, about 4).

Shep

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1318247799' post='1399599']Turn the cutoff to about 9 o'clock (or just above) & put it on 2 pole to start with. I have the res at @ 4, but if you want a bassier sound, take it down (between 0 & 2 has tonnes of bass! :) ).
Amount should be at 0 & the Mix at 10.

I notice Shep's on here too, let's see how our settings compare.[/quote]

Great minds think alike!!!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1318248036' post='1399608']
Great minds think alike!!!
[/quote]
Indeeed. :)

I find myself switching between 2 & 4 pole, depending on what sounds I'm wanting. Another thing I found can work quite well (again depending on song), is putting the EP2 into the amount. It still allows you to do swells, but gives you wah.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1318247938' post='1399603']
Dub tone - you don't need any other effects, although octave Down can't help.

On the LPF -
Res - 0
Mix - 10
Env - doesn't really matter
2 or 4 pole
Fast
Boost the bass on your Pre/before the filter.

Start with cutoff about half way, then start playing and slowly roll the cutoff back until it starts to go sub-tastic and remove all the top end. The more bass in the mix before it, the more pronounced it'll be. Octave down will fatten it more - seems the frequency response is best around the 12th fret on the A string when using an Octave down.

If you engage a fuzz before it you won't hear it with the cutoff that low, but if you then swell the cutoff with an expression pedal you can add some lovely synthy fat swells (add a little resonance if you do this, about 4).

Shep
[/quote]
Nice one mate, shall have a play with that tonight :)
[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1318248035' post='1399607']
& whilst I mind, put your 101 after the 506. I've been thinking about doing a video review of some settings, so maybe soon :) .
[/quote]
Yeah my signal chain is send from the LS2 into the 506, then out of the 506 into the MF101 and out the MF 101 into the return of the the LS2 - my exp. pedal is on cutoff. What settings on my MF 101 would you recommend to get that sound in my first video......i'm assuming to use the fuzz setting and octave setting on my Zoom 506II right? Any help muchly appreciated :)

Interesting you said about the video review of settings, i just trawled Youtube and could hardly find anything on settings, particularly with bass guitar.
Found that the MF101 makes for a killer envelope filter though, very Bootsy :o
Cheers folks.

Edited by Rasta

I made comment on my thread for the Barefaced Big Twin T, but worth mentioning here - If you are using your Barefaced Dubster cab with this set up, you'll never get the swells to sound like on the vid - The cab is designed to have pretty much zero highs, and to get the top of those swells you need lots of high, preferably a tweeter.

You'll get fat synth bass, but not up to the 'key's' territory.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1318346105' post='1400925']
I made comment on my thread for the Barefaced Big Twin T, but worth mentioning here - If you are using your Barefaced Dubster cab with this set up, you'll never get the swells to sound like on the vid - The cab is designed to have pretty much zero highs, and to get the top of those swells you need lots of high, preferably a tweeter.

You'll get fat synth bass, but not up to the 'key's' territory.
[/quote]
I've tried the set up with both my Dubster & a 2x10+1x15" both with tweeters, agreed a bit more swell with the tweeters although i do get nice clarity through the Dubster, its not too muffled. However effects wise, last night I tried my JD BassWah set up with my 506II and seem to get a better sweep and sound although there is a mid scoop on the filter from the wah thats not too great when pressing down on the pedal slowly. I'm wondering if maybe I should have got a decent synth pedal rather than the Moog MF101...the MF101 makes for a great funky envelope filter, and i'm sure much more that i haven't discovered, but its not doing what i thought it would do synth sound wise. Any recommendations on synth pedals that you can use an expression pedal with? I see the Boss SYB5 allow for an expression pedal but couldn't find any youtube vids where they're using the expression pedal. :)

I'd perservere with the moog. I wasn't overly impressed with mine when I first got it, but as I got to use it more I discovered more & more possibilities with it. The settings I started with on everything (bass, amp & other fx) was very different from what I use now & wouldn't be without either of my moog pedals (I want more, but funds won't allow just now :) ).

Yes.

But the Moog pedal contains an envelope follower and has a very wet sounding resonance that can be fine tuned to effect the sound coming in as well. It's obviously going to react better to sounds with lot of bass, and high harmonic content (like fuzz, Subdecay noisebox, copilot orbit etc etc) but the Moog LPF compared to other LPF is 'flavoured' traditionally gto work with Moogs style of synth tone.

Yeeeaaahhhhh, at tonights practice i discovered the MOOG for sure!! I hit a right setting at last and with the expression pedal too. Shook the teeth of our drummer....it's now a keeper....i get it now....sooooo pleased my doubts have been shattered. cheers lovelies :) :) :) :o :o

I was at practice tonight too. Actually snapped the string in the EP2 from doing a load of wub wub! :) whipped the baseplate off it & fixed in seconds.
We've got a blues gig next month, so I thought I might invent a new genre. Bluesstep. :)

Well Rasta man, what's your next moog gonna be?
Glad you gave the 101 a chance, it does add a load of lovely bass to the sound. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1318548855' post='1403746']
I was at practice tonight too. Actually snapped the string in the EP2 from doing a load of wub wub! :) whipped the baseplate off it & fixed in seconds.
We've got a blues gig next month, so I thought I might invent a new genre. Bluesstep. :o

Well Rasta man, what's your next moog gonna be?
Glad you gave the 101 a chance, it does add a load of lovely bass to the sound. B)
[/quote]

Haha, like the idea of Bluestep..."Woke up this [s]morning [/s] evening...WAMP WUB WUB" :o Next Moog you say...next mortgage :) , joking aside though I'm really loving the LPF now that i'm getting into it. Interestingly i've started jammin with a new band recently who are quite into Dubstep which to be honest is a bit new to me (any decent music education gladly received, particularly reggae orientated dubstep)...soooo was gonna ask what you guys use with your LPF's for dubstep? - whats the cheap skate route? Do i need tremolo for that warble? My budget is limited right now so am hoping to rely on the trusty Zoom 506II for sounds ...but may get a few cheap pedals come payday :)

Also another Q for Pantheairsoft- ,hope you dont mind mate, you mentioned about using modulation after the Moog LPF...i've been given a Ibanez Phase modulater PM7. Should i put this after the Moog (in my case last in my chain before returning to my LS2)? Also are you guys using compression or limiters at the end of your chain to stop peaks ?

Thanks as always for your really helpful responses :lol:

Edited by Rasta

Yo!

For Dubstep/D&B sounds. Octave - Fuzz - LPF - Trem/Chorus. That will send you on your way.

As for signal chain, most important rule as always is experiment and see what works best. I recall Dan Owens on here saying he runs modulation before the LPF as he prefers to take the frequencies out of the modulation and swell it in. I run it after LPF as I prefer the sound to be fluid and modulating even when its just sub coming through. Play around and see what works.

You can even try it in channel 2 of your LS2 and blend it with the A+B mix mode. Yum! :)

As for compression. I used to use lots, but as I use lots of delay effect, I found it played hell with the delay. I then went through a phase of using none (after all fuzz etc is compressed itself and I use lots of that), but now I use a tiny bit on the amp to iron out an EXTREME peaks - I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen the compressor light flick on though.

Shep

Shep

Have a Youtube at Miloopa, Nerve (JoJo Mayer on drums), Skrillex, Men Imitating Machines & Shep's band Our Helical Mind for some quality dubstep.
If you've got a smartphone (such as an iPhone) install Tunein Radio & have a listen to some dubstep on there (there's quite a lot reggae based).

As for gear? At present I have my bass going into a cheap PSK Distortion (which I am very surprised at how good it sounds, but not on it's own)then into the Bass Murf which is set with a little drive to warm things up & most frequencies taken out & the bass boosted quite a bit, then into the MF101 & finally into a Boss CE-2 Chorus.

The Bass Murf actually has an LFO, but can't be used to control the 101. However, I can control the rate of it via the 101's Env out & into the LFO in, so the not starts with a quick subtle wobble that slows down as the note fades. & this is before the 101 (so kinda like what Dan does), but then the chorus is at the end (similar to what Shep does). The Murf's LFO moves the selected frequencies range up & down slightly.
Sometimes I use the Murf on one of the patterns to make it go WubWubWubWub & have the tap tempo, but I'd need to get a metronome for the drummer. A plan there is to get a cheap drum machine, send a click to the drummer, a hot signal to the murf (to sync it) & a midi lead to the guitarist (he uses a Godin Synth guitar thingy & an Adrenalinn).

I'm soon to be the proud owner of an OC-3, so much fun & experimenting on deciding if it goes before or after the Murf.
An idea is to have one channel of the Murf putting just low frequencies into the OC-3 & then CE-2 with the other channel putting frequencies @ 500-700hz through overdrive & the 101 so I can control what there is of those & always having that steady sub bass there. :)
I don't use any compression live, although it wouldn't be a bad thing to have one set up properly to keep any peaks at bay.

Shep gives good advice on what you need for that dubstep sound.
Your 506 should supply a 1/2 decent fuzz or chorus (I had a 708 & the octaver was gantin, so I take it yours will be no better. But a lot of useable sounds on those wee Zooms) & I'd maybe look at picking up whatever one you don't use it for (if you use it for chorus, get a fuzz. If you use it for fuzz, get a chorus or trem) & an octave.

I take it you'll already have flatwounds?