Why become a member? ×

I need you fx guru's to give me some advice pretty please...

Raslee

I'm trying to replicate the sound effect at 30 sec & 55 secs.

I know this is digital bass but i'm looking to get something close live with my bass guitar, what could i need to make this sound?. To date I've been using my Boss ME6B synths sounds plus a little reverb and a JD wah to make a sweepable filter sound to good effect in a separate loop on a Boss LS2. Using the LS2 allows me to maintain the normal dub bass line and just wah the synth sound in the loop, its ok and sounds good but i'm sure i could get better. Also I am thinking i would like a decent synth pedal, one that can have an expression pedal added to control the filter sweep (not sure that is the right term :) ), and then i can do away with my ME6B and have all my pedals on one board.... any advice ?
:)

Edited by Rasta

My first thought was wah and a little distortion, are you using a proper bass model wah or the normal guitar one?

I reckon a decent manually sweepable filter should be able to get you close, I don't have any experience with such things as filters don't suit the kind of music I play. I know the Moog pedals have expression pedal inputs but they're pricey, there's a thorough thread about them on here. Pantherairsoft seems to have the filter models, might be worth asking him if such a sound is possible.

Edit for grammars.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1355692' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:03 PM']My first thought was wah and a little distortion, are you using a proper bass model wah or the normal guitar one?[/quote]
Yeah using a white Jim Dunlop bass wah.

Whats the low pass filter pedal you use? Also i was just looking up these modded Bass micro synths, looks appealing,...where could i get one of those?

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Rasta' post='1355710' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:18 PM']Yeah using a white Jim Dunlop bass wah.

Whats the low pass filter pedal you use?[/quote]

Both LPF and Bass Murf are Moog according to the thread below.

I mentioned the bass Wah as I think that's what Tim Commerfeld uses in Rage Against the Machine and gets a similar distorted wah tone on a couple of tracks.

[quote name='Rasta' post='1355613' date='Aug 29 2011, 07:59 PM']I'm trying to replicate the sound effect at 30 sec & 55 secs.

I know this is digital bass but i'm looking to get something close live with my bass guitar, what could i need to make this sound?. To date I've been using my Boss ME6B synths sounds plus a little reverb and a JD wah to make a sweepable filter sound to good effect in a separate loop on a Boss LS2. Using the LS2 allows me to maintain the normal dub bass line and just wah the synth sound in the loop, its ok and sounds good but i'm sure i could get better. Also I am thinking i would like a decent synth pedal, one that can have an expression pedal added to control the filter sweep (not sure that is the right term :) ), and then i can do away with my ME6B and have all my pedals on one board.... any advice ?
:)[/quote]
sounds like low-pass filter and slight fuzz > expression pedal to me.

there are plenty of ways of doing this, but my best recommendation on a budget would be the source audio b.e.f pro, ( when it becomes available over here in a cuppla months time )

or iron ether xerograph deluxe perhaps. with either of these you may still have to overdrive the input signal with some fuzzy low-end.

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1355719' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:32 PM']sounds like low-pass filter and slight fuzz > expression pedal to me.

there are plenty of ways of doing this, but my best recommendation on a budget would be the source audio b.e.f pro, ( when it becomes available over here in a cuppla months time )

or iron ether xerograph deluxe perhaps. with either of these you may still have to overdrive the input signal withe some fuzzy low-end.[/quote]

Cheers for the advice dude, i'm a bit thick in the fx territory as its all a bit new to simple dubber me. Whats a b.e.f. Pro or the xerograph? Can you use expression pedals with them to vary the filter bit ?? i'll google them now :)

[quote name='Rasta' post='1355727' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:36 PM']Cheers for the advice dude, i'm a bit thick in the fx territory as its all a bit new to simple dubber me. Whats a b.e.f. Pro or the xerograph? Can you use expression pedals with them to vary the filter bit ?? i'll google them now :)[/quote]
i'll have a looky for the links too.. :)

there she lay..

[url="http://ironether.com/"]http://ironether.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundblox_pro/bass_envelope.php"]http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundb...ss_envelope.php[/url]

both expression pedal compatible, like the moog stuff. also may i point out this new beast of an idea..

[url="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/dub-step-the-dub-step-guitar-pedal"]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviev...ep-guitar-pedal[/url] ..this is suplus to your requirements, but damned sweet !!

i want..

Edited by phil.i.stein

My LPF is a moog MF-101. It sounds like he's opening up the resonance as well as the cutoff both at once.
If you're wanting to replicate that song you could stick the filter & a fuzz (& maybe even a slow phaser) on a loop such as an LS2. That way you're not trying to stand on several pedals at once to bring the effect in.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1355729' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:38 PM']i'll have a looky for the links too.. :)

there she lay..

[url="http://ironether.com/"]http://ironether.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundblox_pro/bass_envelope.php"]http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundb...ss_envelope.php[/url]

both expression pedal compatible, like the moog stuff. also may i point out this new beast of an idea..

[url="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/dub-step-the-dub-step-guitar-pedal"]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviev...ep-guitar-pedal[/url]

i want..[/quote]

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1355730' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:39 PM']My LPF is a moog MF-101. It sounds like he's opening up the resonance as well as the cutoff both at once.
If you're wanting to replicate that song you could stick the filter & a fuzz (& maybe even a slow phaser) on a loop such as an LS2. That way you're not trying to stand on several pedals at once to bring the effect in.[/quote]
Cheers for the replies chapsters. Just been watching the video of that Source Audio....wow amazing!!!!

Edited by Rasta

I was looking at similar fx a month back for some Goldfrapp synth type tones where I could get at the filter via the expression pedal.
I got 80% there with the GT6 and the sound isn`t a million miles from your clip but I can`t get the pedal to alter the filter yet.
Nearest I got was a chorus oscillating slowly and that brings out the filter sweep.
MM

I'm only as knowledgable as many... But I like the ego boost!

I'd say the answer has already been posted -
[quote name='xgsjx' post='1355730' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:39 PM']My LPF is a moog MF-101. It sounds like he's opening up the resonance as well as the cutoff both at once.
If you're wanting to replicate that song you could stick the filter & a fuzz (& maybe even a slow phaser) on a loop such as an LS2. That way you're not trying to stand on several pedals at once to bring the effect in.[/quote]

LPF, open up the cut off, high resonance = win!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1358119' date='Aug 31 2011, 09:23 PM']I'm only as knowledgable as many...[/quote]
I think you're a lot more knowledgeable than you're giving yourself credit for.
You have hands on experience with a lot of pedals & know what they're capable of.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1358119' date='Aug 31 2011, 09:23 PM']I'm only as knowledgable as many... But I like the ego boost!

I'd say the answer has already been posted -

LPF, open up the cut off, high resonance = win![/quote]
Cheers buddy - you d'man :) ,
Sooo it sounds like the Moog 101 is the answer from the advice here & having just read up on them. However they're a bit out my price range (for now) maybe.

I've just been scouring the for sale section and see that they have gone for around £150 plus. I am going to have to sell my Boss ME6B (ala Student Zender), White JimDunlop bass wah and Digitech bass synth to fund a moog 101......do you think those 3 pedal are worth that much or i guess i could offer them up a trade (am i dreaming?).

I've got an old Zoom 506B which i guess i could get my phaser and fuzz from if i get a Moog...and perhaps a little reverb too. Then i guess i'll need a moog expression pedal for the 101???

I've got an old DOD FX25 lying around somewhere too which i could dig that out as I also use the Envelope filter sound on the Digitech bass synth wah for this track:

Would a Moog 101 help with this sound?...as I say I'm using the Digitech bass synth wah in the envelope filter 1 setting with the sensitivity and control at about 11'o'clock and the range is virtually off (8 o'clock)...i'm also using a light reverb via my ME6B - i seem to be getting a reasonably close sound,not great but close. Thanks again for all your replies and help. :)

If you don't mind having some overdrive on your bass all the time, the MF-101 has a drive control (though it can get a little bit noisy if you need fuzz from it) & sounds pretty sweet IMO.
Downside, the 101 isn't true bypass, so whatever you set the drive to, it will be going through it regardless.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36164"]Here's a review I did with audio samples.[/url]

The 101 is a dub bassists dream. Treated as an EQ pedal alone it allows you to get the huge thick dub tone without pushing your amp EQ to its limits. I use the 101 constantly in my music. When the pedal is bypassed the drive knob still effects your sound, so it effectively becomes part of your pre-amp anyway and adds a little analog goodness to it.

Many tracks I use it on with an Octave pedal to fatten up sub. It has a whole host of functions without an expression pedal.

Add the expression to start using the synth swells like you asked about in the 1st track, or in fact that you hear in millions of tracks, allowing you to push the sound from deep smooth sub, to high fizz and back (stopping anywhere along route).

I got mine on eBay for £105 plus shipping, plus £20 on an EP-2 expression pedal. For what it can do though, I'd be happy to pay the retail price if mine packed in!

[quote name='Rasta' post='1355613' date='Aug 29 2011, 06:59 PM']I'm trying to replicate the sound effect at 30 sec & 55 secs.

:)[/quote]

Can't help you out with the synthy stuff but the "normal" bass sound in the rest of that track is absolutely killer.

I listen to a lot of dub and reggae but have never (until now) tried to replicate it on the bass. Any tips for getting that sort of sound?

Cheers

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1359257' date='Sep 1 2011, 09:30 PM']Can't help you out with the synthy stuff but the "normal" bass sound in the rest of that track is absolutely killer.

I listen to a lot of dub and reggae but have never (until now) tried to replicate it on the bass. Any tips for getting that sort of sound?

Cheers[/quote]
Depends on the type of dub your trying to replicate and what bass your playing i guess but role your tone almost off, use your neck pick up if you have more than one and play close to the neck for a warmer tone. Flatwound strings are good or dead dirty rounds. Boost the bass on your amp, turn you mids almost off and your treble almost off...a little lo mid is good for definition - and a good speaker capable of holding the lows and particularly the cabinet.

Some modern players, i.e. Bill Laswell, play around with Envelope filters also to get a phat sound without the envelope opening...but i prefer the aforementioned old skool method. A lot of modern dub is done on synth (sinewave). Hope that helps a bit :)

Edited by Rasta