Why become a member? ×

Tuners

Beefyeggo

I've seen the clip on type tuners advertised for just a few quid. Does anyone use them? Are they OK?

I can't quite make it out... I can see how they would work on an acoustic, but was wondering just how effective they are on an electric bass..

Edited by Beefyeggo

I was a sceptic at first. Mrs BottomE bought one for me and i now have 2 which are great. Small and light they are very accurate - you can use the digital representation of the analogue meter or the Hz settings to tune. Can be callibrated. Shows up nicely on a dark stage. Works on vibration so usually not affected by noise from other instruments or environment.

Always seems to take a bit longer to tune the E string. Don't know how effective it would be if you had a 5 stringer.

My son bought me one of these for a present a couple of years ago - works perfectly & checks spot on against a full size :)
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-ST01-CHROMATIC-KEY-RING-DIGITAL-GUITAR-TUNER-/290578841944?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43a7d94158"]Seiko keyring tuner[/url]

[quote name='Machines' post='1352566' date='Aug 26 2011, 03:20 PM']I've got a Rotosound one (does most stringed instruments) and it seems to track better and quicker with higher frequencies. A 12th fret harmonic E is much better than an open E I find.[/quote]
Which is fine if you know your bass is setup correctly. Only problem with this is that its harder to setup intonation if you can't track the bottom E.

Ive got a Peterson Strobo-clip and a Snark and both work really well.
I too was a bit sceptical about this type of tuner but ive not had any problems with mine.

I only really use the Peterson when i change strings or do a set up as its not cheap and doesn't look like it will hold up to a lot of gigging. The Snark is good enough for gig tuning and it looks pretty good as well.

Both work very well in loud environments.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1352579' date='Aug 26 2011, 03:25 PM']Which is fine if you know your bass is setup correctly. Only problem with this is that its harder to setup intonation if you can't track the bottom E.[/quote]

I would hope intonation would be set correctly before you are at a gig and need to tube up.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1352854' date='Aug 26 2011, 06:35 PM']I would hope intonation would be set correctly before you are at a gig and need to tube up.[/quote]
Me too. I was just saying that they aint the best tools to do a setup with. I prefer my mates old 1980s Korg analogue tuner for that.

btw - i think you meant to say "lube" up :)