Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics BH500 Head

jackers

Hey BCers :)

I have been looking into getting one of the new TC Electronics BH500 Bass heads, and I was wondering what people thought about it, and more specifically whether anyone on here had one and wouldn't mind me possibly testing it out for a bit? (I am willing to travel to you and bring my bass with me.)

cheers :)

Adam

EDIT: I am based in Oxford.

Edited by jackers

Have you read the threads about the way TCE rates the power output of their amps? It may be relevant to your buying decision. Effectively the watts that teh TCE amps are rated at are what TCE feels they are comparable to in terms of loudness rather than the actual power output of these amps (which is quite a lot lower than the figure quoted).

I have been following the discussions, yes, and I have to say that it doesn't really bother me. I am far more concerned with the build quality, tone and sound of what I buy when it comes to bass gear, than how it has been marketed, because I am fully aware that quite alot of companies twist the truth in their marketing ads/campaigns etc.

But this is a discussion for the other thread, so let's not derail this one, haha :)

I was mainly wondering whether there is any difference in the things like the spectracomp and tubetone controls between the two heads?

Edited by jackers

[quote name='jackers' post='1352620' date='Aug 26 2011, 03:45 PM']I have been following the discussions, yes, and I have to say that it doesn't really bother me. I am far more concerned with the build quality, tone and sound of what I buy when it comes to bass gear, than how it has been marketed, because I am fully aware that quite alot of companies twist the truth in their marketing ads/campaigns etc.

But this is a discussion for the other thread, so let's not derail this one, haha :)

I was mainly wondering whether there is any difference in the things like the spectracomp and tubetone controls between the two heads?[/quote]

To my knowledge (and this is only from reading things on here, and not based on concrete evidence), the BH500's internals are mostly duplicated from the RH450, but packaged with a different output stage and made in some far flung oriental company. My BH500 stack has served me fantastically well, and i think it's the mutt's (but i am obviously a bit biased!)

ah brilliant :)

the only thing that makes me unsure of whether the rh450 or the bh500 would be better is the weight difference, and the fact that the rh450 has the parametric eq. but having never used an amp with more than bass, hi and lo mids and treble, i don't know whether it would be all that useful to me :)

I have the BH500 with the two BC212 cabs, brilliant sound and plenty of volume for my rock covers band with two guitars and a loud drummer, I would say that the power rating from TC is right compared to my previous rig which was a GK MB210 combo with GK MBE115 cab which is known to be loud at 500 watts with the extension cab, the BH500 is a fair bit more powerful and definitely much better sounding and far more versatile .
As for weight, a bit heavier than the GK gear but not excessively, just eat an extra shredded wheat in the mornings !!

Edited by GRAHAM SG1

I got the BH500 delivered this morning. and after a few hours of playing around with it I am actually rather disappointed. the first 30 minutes of playing were great, but then after trying to dial in a fingerstyle tone I liked, I couldn't get anything that even came close to my Hartke rig. and when it came to a direct comparison, using the same bass and the same settings on my sansamp, the hartke blew the BH500 away in terms of warmth and tone, and I found that the BH500 went straight from clean to distorted, with no area in the middle for that gritty edge which I like in my sound.

Although I will say there are some amazing features on the BH500, especially the spectracomp and tweetertone.

In the end it just doesn't provide that warmth with a slight edge that I was looking for, which is a shame because it sounded really good when I tested it.

I will most likely be arranging a return with Andertons music this afternoon.

I would still recommend people trying it out, because it is amazing at what it does, but what it does just isn't for me.

Edited by jackers

• 9 months later...

I had a quick blast on one a couple of weeks back just out of curiosity really and have to say didnt think much too it, in my opinion theyve crammed lots of great features into it but forgetten to actually put any real tone in, difficult to dial in what I would class as good basic solid tones and something about the sound in general seemed a bit off, only way I can describe it is artificial if that makes any sense?

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1340376028' post='1703680']
I had a quick blast on one a couple of weeks back just out of curiosity really and have to say didnt think much too it, in my opinion theyve crammed lots of great features into it but forgetten to actually put any real tone in, difficult to dial in what I would class as good basic solid tones and something about the sound in general seemed a bit off, only way I can describe it is artificial if that makes any sense?
[/quote]

Okay, that doesn't sound good... :unsure:

I tried one a few weeks back but sent it back within the week.
I bought one on the strength of the reviews and a few videos on youtube.
I tried it with my Tech 212,a 410 Tracie and my lil 110 cab at home and for the life of me I couldn't dial in a nice warm figerstyle tone at all on my P,J or Blazer Basses.
To be honest I was really looking forward to getting the amp but was very disappointed with it once it arrived, sorry TC.
For my ears both my Yamaha BBT500H and Trace AH200 smoked it in the tone department.
B)

Edited by kennyrodg

• 9 months later...

I think is like everything else ........... all down to personal preference. I quite like the tone of the head. I can get a mellow, warm and aggressive tone out of the head. The EQ knob actually very sensitive, turn a little it actually effect the tone alot.

Only amp i actually like is TC, Markbass and Orange. Other amps like ampeg, trace, ashdown is not my cup of tea .....