Why become a member? ×

Should I - Shouldn't I ???

Blademan_98

I have the bridge cover on my lookalikee, I quiet like it. :) It reminds me of Sir Horace Gentlemans P Bass.
It is a pain in the butt when playing with a pick though as it gets in the way.
I was gonna get a pickup cover too but thought better of it!! :) Edited by Hobbayne

I'd say do it. I quite like the look of them, and may just put one on my fretless P. I couldn't really put one on my J as I play up that end quite a bit.

also - satin sheets? do you work in a brothel?

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' post='1348259' date='Aug 22 2011, 07:06 PM']I'd say do it. I quite like the look of them, and may just put one on my fretless P. I couldn't really put one on my J as I play up that end quite a bit.

also - satin sheets? [b]do you work in a brothel?[/b][/quote]

Nope, I just spend a lot of time in one, hence I leave my bass there. :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1348305' date='Aug 22 2011, 07:39 PM']I can't add one because of the 'slap' switch :)[/quote]
I'm with Johnston - the cover would look cool but only if you had the chrome plate.

Do you use the slap switch much? If not, then you can fit a chrome plate - just remove the nut and push the switch through into the control cavity. If you do use the switch, then you should be able to get someone to drill a suitable hole in the plate for the switch.

[quote name='mart' post='1348985' date='Aug 23 2011, 01:36 PM']I'm with Johnston - the cover would look cool but only if you had the chrome plate.

Do you use the slap switch much? If not, then you can fit a chrome plate - just remove the nut and push the switch through into the control cavity. If you do use the switch, then you should be able to get someone to drill a suitable hole in the plate for the switch.[/quote]

I will have to get one and see how it looks.

I can drill it out myself, no problem.

Cheers!

Not a fan of ash trays on P's due to no chrome plate. Therefore personally don't think it would suit your J.

On a side note would adding an ash tray without foam change the sound at all? Only ever played one bass that was fitted with an ash tray.

Edit: incomplete sentence!

Edited by joe_bass

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1349060' date='Aug 23 2011, 03:11 PM']Not a fan of ash trays on P's.

On a side note would adding an ash tray without foam change the sound at all?[/quote]

Nah, it doesn't. I had both covers on my P (see avatar) and there was no detectable change. Had them on for a couple of years and then took off the ashtray first as I seemed to be developing a plectrum style that was heavy on palm muting and then the pickup cover came off shortly after because it got in the way when I started playing slap.

I'd have to say no as well for 3 reasons. firstly, the lack of chrome control plate would just look odd. Secondly, unless you were going to add a neck pup cover it wouldn't look right (to me, I just prefer both or none. Only reason my Jazz bass has one is because I can't afford a bridge cover yet) and lastly, the fact the bridge pick up pokes out doesn't look right.

So... route out the control cavity, add a chrome control plate and you could even drill out a hole for the "slap switch".

Also, if you're keeping that bridge on there, try the bridge cover they used on the big block precision basses. They're slightly taller to accommodate the bigger bridge.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1348276' date='Aug 22 2011, 07:18 PM']I'm going to say no.

Partly because of the Pup location and partly because there is no Chrome control plate.[/quote]

Knew there was something that looked wrong, that's what it is.

Covers on Precisions CAN look cool (and I know I've posted this before, but it's beautiful)...

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1348202' date='Aug 22 2011, 06:04 PM']I am thinking of adding an ashtray to my Squier Active Jazz.

I am un-decided at present.

There will be no going back because of the obvious holes!

What do you think?

If you have no opinion, I have a 'don't care' option :)[/quote]

I wouldn't put one on a bass that doesnt already have it, I have one bass with them on its a 1961 stack knob jazz. It really needs them on especially over the bridge pickup, as the way the old uns are wired with an external earth strap, the pickups can be a bit noisy, esp under florescent lights, put the covers on and quiet as a mouse. They are not really in the way for finger style you get used to them pretty quick...... problem is when you take em off and on a few times the screw holes get blighted then you have to reach for the matchsticks....... Before committing try them by sticking them on with 3M VHB tape (the foamy stuff) they will stay on tight and you won't need to drill and no one will know!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1348202' date='Aug 22 2011, 06:04 PM']I am thinking of adding an ashtray to my Squier Active Jazz.

I am un-decided at present.

There will be no going back because of the obvious holes!

What do you think?

If you have no opinion, I have a 'don't care' option :)[/quote]

On your particular bass, no, it looks odd without the chrome control plate, as others have commented.

In addition, the one you have isnt a Fender one, and is shorter than a real one, hence why the pickup is visible, which doesnt look good.

Chrome covers look good if both are fitted, and the control plate is chrome. On my '62 Jazz, i have them both fitted, but when i play it (Not that often these days), i remove the pickup cover as it gets in the way of my style of playing. I used to remove it when i played gigs with it, and then put the cover back on when it was hung up.

For yours, it's a no from me.

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1351949' date='Aug 26 2011, 05:10 AM']Ian, that P-Bass is seriously beautiful.[/quote]

Isn't it though? Found that pic whilst trawling for inspiration for the Sonic Blue Precision project I bought from here, and think I might be trying to replicate it, covers and all...