Why become a member? ×

POD X3 Live

Lee-Man

[quote name='ped' post='154773' date='Mar 10 2008, 06:33 PM']Hi Lee,

My friend Chris who owns the studio where the North East Bash is being held on Sunday has one - i will tell him to come in here with some comments....

Cheers
ped[/quote]

North EAST!!! :)

• 10 months later...

I have tried the kidney bean X3 during a week or so.

The compressor alone is worth the whole price of the unit. Supposedly its a simulation of the Teletronix LA-2A but as you can imagine I didnt have the original to A/B them. It doesnt really matter, I have used several dozens of compressors through the years and not a single one gave me such a clean, natural, uncolored tone. You wont notice any signal degradation using it EXCEPT using extreme settings and plucking really hard your bass, then the attack of the note gets affected somehow: I dont really know how to describe the attack sound except for the fact that it isnt an unaltered signal, it has an "organic" feel to it that I love, its really musical, warm, harshless... As I said, worth checking the X3 if only because of its compressor. By the way, this is NOT one of the stompbox compressor models they have under that category, those are crap in comparison. Im talking about the standalone, dedicated compression. Obviously, this is all up to personal taste, you might prefer a different kind of compression, but I liked it so much that in the future I will hunt a second hand X3 if only for the compressor.

The amp models are just your classical line6 stuff, some of them are useless for me, some others are really fun to overdrive. In my opinion most amp models are overequalized by default, some of them have very poor dynamics and generally its too easy to overdrive them (with unpleasant results more often than I'd like) Nothing new here, I may have perceived a slightly higher sound quality compared to older line6 models but dont take my word on it. I had a lot of fun playing Larry Graham's "Earthquake" with an amp model called "frankensomething" and the drive control to the max, really pleasant, musical, usable overdrive that performed very well on the low end. You might also like the amp models much more than me, Im a bit "purist" and usually love recording bass using only a DI box.

I didnt mess too much with the stompboxes, since the whole point of line6 gear seems to be built around their amp+cab simulations. They are very good though, and there are a few very original, though nothing new from the good old XT.

You can use 2 bass amp models and mix the signals however you want, though hardcore tweaking might be needed to make such a combination sound pleasant to the ear without extreme frequency peaks and valleys. This feature is perfect for guitar though (remember the X3 is the same model for guitar, bass and voice) and also very useful if you want to use effects in parallel, such as a distortion in one channel and clean lowend in the other, and even better if you play an instrument and sing at the same time, you can use an amp+fx for your instrument and a valve preamp+reverb+delay for your voice (just an example), effectively doing all your signal processing with single, portable, powerful and versatile unit. This is probably one of the best features of the X3.

[b]FLAWS:[/b]

Hissy outputs with the kidney bean version. Possibly solved with the balanced XLR outputs available on the Live or Pro versions, but I didnt have enough time to try those 2.

Flimsy cheap plastic with the Live version. Unfortunately its not made out of rugged metal as its predecessor, the XT. I have already seen an alarming high number of spanish dudes selling the X3Live second hand with broken LCD display. They improved the LCD panel size a lot compared to the old XT, but gave no protection at all and made the whole floor unit out of plastic... tsk, tsk.

Feel free to ask any questions, I may have skipped an interesting point or 2...

Edited by Fraktal

Hey Daniel! Thanks for the PM and the review. Very much appreciated. You have certainly picked up on some points that had been mentioned in other reviews I have seen, but wasn't aware of the broken screen issues!! That's rather alarming and yes, as you say unfortunately a plastic case isn't so good as a decent metal one. I currently use a rack system with a Roland FC200 foot controller. The controller is a metal construction and even after a good few years shows no battle scars.. just needs a bit of a wipe clean!

I'm wondering if keeping the X3L in a case will help protect it, or if I should be looking at getting the pro version in a rack. Kinda put off with the enormo' 3u rack size tho... Hmmm.. something to think about!

Other than that, I have been using my Line 6 UX2 and love it. The sounds comin off it are great and would love to replicate the dual sound possibilities live.. the X3L being the obvious choice. I don't really fancy messing about getting the 'bean' into a custom rack case either.

Thanks again, plenty of food for thought there!

Dood, could please link me those reviews? Im very curious if my impressions about this unit are shared by more people, specifically the quality of the compressor. You know, sometimes trying to be fair could be complicated, we all have personal tastes that might affect the final evaluation.

Thank you very much!

Oh, BTW, here is one example with pic of what I said about the delicate LCD screen:

[url="http://www.mundoanuncio.com/anuncio/pedalera_line_pod_x_live_por_1160934043.html"]Second hand X3 broken LCD[/url]

Quick translation from spanish: The dude says the drummer seat fell on it and broke the screen even though the hit had minimal force... scary!

I have seen at least 3 more cases like this here around in Spain, checking the second hand market adds. Its a real pity that such a relatively expensive piece of hardware has such a reliability issue.

Edited by Fraktal

[quote name='Fraktal' post='379670' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:59 PM']Dood, could please link me those reviews? Im very curious if my impressions about this unit are shared by more people, specifically the quality of the compressor. You know, sometimes trying to be fair could be complicated, we all have personal tastes that might affect the final evaluation.

Thank you very much![/quote]

I literally just googled 'Pod X3 Live Review' and found several links, including the usual Harmony-Central stuff. I believe others have mentioned the Compressor. Both PED and I agree, as we both loved the comp on the Pod XT Pro. Stupidly, I sold my rack.. but I am feelin' the love over the Dual signal paths, as this is a philosophy that I have always followed in my bass gear. Two signals mixed together, one dirty, one EQ'd clean. Doing it virtually makes sense to me, as I am always pulling my rig to bits to try new things. It will be fun to be able to slot a new 'amp' in the signal path just by hitting a button! My routing options at present come from mixing inputs and chains on my TC G-Force. If the X3 really is as good as it describes, the TC could well be staying at home! - Certainly, the UX-2 interface with POD Farm sounds awesome and I know that my guitarist Jamie used the UX-2 to lay down guitar parts for one of the BioMechanical album releases and then reamping in the studio. The X3 can do the same for me and will prove to be an invaluable live and studio tool. Found out yesterday the X3L will slot right into my flightcase perfectly! Dammmmmn.. does that mean I have to spend some money now! lol

I will be using mine live for the first time this coming Saturday (and in rehearsal on Thurs).

I think the sounds are really good, the dual tone is very useful, love the compressor too. None of them disguises the sound of my Warwick. I set up the sounds through my desk (XLR direct in) on 'phones to get a wide stereo image and have probably over-egged the low eq as a result, i'm sure the PA chap can sort it out on the night. I will be using about ten different tones from standard bass sounds, echoes, flange, to synth bass and I haven't had so much fun in ages dialling them in!

If you want to come along and have a chat and a listen , the show is in North London on Saturday evening. PM me and I will send details.

[quote name='silddx' post='384935' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:32 PM']Having fun yet? ;)[/quote]

Oh god am I!! - Didn't really get a great deal of time with the unit yesterday... However, it is very obvious that this tool is a very powerful piece of kit! I have been playing with the Dual amp paths and effects for guitar so far.. Bass later on.. I can actually see me using just this and backline/IEM's if everything goes to plan! You'll know the outcome when a lot of nice gear comes up for sale! lol lol

Expect a review of sorts soon!