Why become a member? ×

POD X3 Live

Lee-Man

[quote name='silddx' post='388459' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:58 PM']Thanks DOOD. I think I may give that a shot before rehearsal this evening. I will post an update afterwards. I've had mine a while but rarely used it so I reckon an update is certainly due.[/quote]

I was reading the Line 6 forum the other day and it seems that quite a few early glitches have been fixed with updates through 'Monkey'. I think Line 6 have defintely got it right using a completely automated service to make firmware, driver and software updates available. Its defintely something that impresses me about their gear!

Had another play last night.. as with the UX2, the ability to plug the unit straight into a DAW and record dry / effected audio on seperate tracks without faffing about is awesome.. and it sounds great too.

Have to agree, makes updating very easy. I didn't get a chance to update the firmware last night but I didn't notice a problem in rehearsal with the clicking. Mind you, I was just going mono into a Trace stack.

I have to say, the sounds I was getting were superb and got compliments all round. My slightly modified "Advisory" bass preset was about 11 on the Richter scale in the dubbier numbers! That is a great patch, the only preset I really like, to be honest.

I don't like the footswitch labeling, it's too small and impossible to see with the very bright orange lights.

I think I am going to revise my patch tactics for the gig though, simplify them a bit and not have both tones panned hard left and right. Got to make sure there is some balance between the patches too but it is hard to tell without trying it through a large PA with a very broad freq range. My phones and studio monitors won't really tell me if the lows will induce vomiting, from the audience and the sound guy ;-)

I am looking forward to Saturday night!

[quote]My phones and studio monitors won't really tell me if the lows will induce vomiting, from the audience and the sound guy ;-)[/quote]

Dude, there is nothing wrong with a bit of bleargh and tachycardia! Playing bass lines one-hand feedback driven and seeing sixteen 2x18" cabs moving in front of you like old dishwashers is FUN! Heck, even better than SEX!

Edited by Fraktal

Oh, believe me, I couldn't agree more! But I want to know the vomit will be induced through the whole of the evening, not just on a few patches. Actually, I played a few numbers in rehearsal last night leaning against two stacked Trace 1x18s and I vomited and ejaculated at the same time ;-) It was a sublime weight loss event actually. This POD creature is seriously trippy.

Had a wonderful show on Saturday night. The drummer recorded it on his new ZOOM H4, which is brilliant! Got a great live sound with excellent definition. We're recording all rehearsals and gigs with it now. Unfortunately it was one of those places where the bass and kick drum gets put through the bass bins & subW and the vox and higher pitch instruments go through the flyers. Consequently all my painstakingly crafted bass synth tones and HiFi sounds were all but inaudible. Nevertheless, the basic bass sounds were there and the dub tones were wickid, and although not vomit inducing, they were not far off. The POD was lovely to use, behaved perfectly. I did find, due to stage excitement, that I was turning the wah on by accident when using the volume pedal so I will have to adjust the pressure or see if the wah can be disabled for the relevant patches.

Going to update the firmware this evening.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really yet to fault it actually. Once again I am drawn to pointing out the ability to run two completely seperate rig signal paths at the same time, with their own affects, amps and cabs.. For me, it is what I have been after for a long while.

For guitarists with magnetic and piezo pickup outputs, the ability to run a dirty over driven stack AND an ultra clean studio signal for the acoustic guitar sounds from one box is brilliant! Great for all you John Petrucci EB fans!

I love the stereo effects loop being there, the Wah models are useable and the recording wet and dry options are brilliant for reamping later.

The only thing I am having trouble with now, is sorting myself out with a custom flight case to drop all my kit into ;o)

[quote name='jonsmith' post='412008' date='Feb 17 2009, 02:31 PM']Got to admit, the X3 Pro looks pretty interesting to me, but the price tag seems a little on the hefty side. Anyone seen any good deals on it lately?[/quote]

I'd say for what you are getting, the price is severely good. When I bought my TC G-Force new, it was pretty much a grand in cost.. and the Line 6 is just a different beast, easily out speccing it.

I bought my X3L from GAK, which was a superb deal.. about the same as a few boutique pedals, including the cost of shipping.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='412018' date='Feb 17 2009, 02:38 PM']Are you guys on the floor or rack units?

Is there much difference between the two (apart from the obvious, floor with pedals vs rack without pedals)

Tony[/quote]

I'm on the floor with the X3 Live (X3L to abbreviate!) - There are some extra connections on the PRO but to be honest, there really wasnt enough to warrant me buying that.. The Live I think is the better option. (Thats coming from someone who has had a rack system for years!)

[quote name='dood' post='412020' date='Feb 17 2009, 02:41 PM']I'd say for what you are getting, the price is severely good. When I bought my TC G-Force new, it was pretty much a grand in cost.. and the Line 6 is just a different beast, easily out speccing it.

I bought my X3L from GAK, which was a superb deal.. about the same as a few boutique pedals, including the cost of shipping.

I'm on the floor with the X3 Live (X3L to abbreviate!) - There are some extra connections on the PRO but to be honest, there really wasnt enough to warrant me buying that.. The Live I think is the better option. (Thats coming from someone who has had a rack system for years!)[/quote]

Thanks for that.

Guitarists in both my bands use excellent TC gear, so I've a lot of respect for it. Is the POD really that good?

GAK was one of the places I looked and they certainly seemed to have the best price at the moment.

It's rack or nothing for me, as I have some concerns about the solidity of the floor version in the vicinity of large clumsy bass players, band members, occasional crew such as it is, other acts and even audiences. Besides, I already have to contend with a set of bass pedals and a Ground Control midi switcher on the floor as it is.

Having just spotted a case for my X3 for sale here, I thought i'd check them out on GAK.. Slightly amazed to see the X3 has shot right up in price! I must have gotten bargain of the century!!! I paid nearly 100 quid less!! WOOT!

Bloody hell! Mine was £299 from Digital Village last July, they're doing it for £359 now. Bizarre, that's also taking into account that VAT is now 15%. Must be exchange rates, falling value of Sterling, etc.

I still think it's the best value considering what it can do for you. The POD is really easy to use and extremely versatile. You need to tweak your sounds a bit but you'll be rewarded. I've used it live, going direct in stereo, and she really behaved herself and sounded ace. It's taken my playing, and my approach to playing, to a whole new level. The idea of playing a whole show with one basic tone seems really weird to me now!