Why become a member? ×

Creating my own rehearsal space

Happy Jack

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1337394' date='Aug 12 2011, 11:09 AM']I don't think rockwool gives you a huge amount of NR. It's really just to stop sound from reverberating around empty cavity spaces. What you need is high density acoustic matting for proper noise reduction.[/quote]

I agree. High-density stuff is required for effective acoustic attenuation - or a vacuum of course :). But this studio is certainly going to be nice and warm.

I might have been tempted to fit a large quad-glazed window between the two 'rooms' though, which would lay the basis for a nice recording studio layout. But I guess such a thing would be fairly easy to retrofit.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1338202' date='Aug 12 2011, 09:27 PM']I agree. High-density stuff is required for effective acoustic attenuation - or a vacuum of course :). But this studio is certainly going to be nice and warm.

I might have been tempted to fit a large quad-glazed window between the two 'rooms' though, which would lay the basis for a nice recording studio layout. But I guess such a thing would be fairly easy to retrofit.[/quote]

Nice and warm is good, especially in February.

Bear in mind that I am NOT trying to soundproof the garage ... just to reduce the volume to the point where the neighbours neither notice nor care.

Retrofitting a a large window into a concrete wall - I don't think so. :)

Anyway, it's not a recording studio, it's a music room and rehearsal space.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1338205' date='Aug 12 2011, 09:32 PM']Nice and warm is good, especially in February.

Bear in mind that I am NOT trying to soundproof the garage ... just to reduce the volume to the point where the neighbours neither notice nor care.[/quote]
Fair point.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1338205' date='Aug 12 2011, 09:32 PM']Retrofitting a a large window into a concrete wall - I don't think so. :)[/quote]
Ah, I missed that bit - thought it was the stud wall you built.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1338205' date='Aug 12 2011, 09:32 PM']Anyway, it's not a recording studio, it's a music room and rehearsal space.[/quote]

Well, it might be at the moment but wait until the recording bug bites . . . :)

Well that took longer than expected!

Remind me never to carpet a ceiling again ... that was about as much fun as an all-night dentist.

The rehearsal space is now more-or-less finished (for a given value of "finished"), and has been wildly effective, far more so than I expected. Before I started the project I tested the sound levels by playing music at c.92dB inside the un-insulated structure. That gave me readings outside the garage of 72dB at the main door and 64dB at the garden door.

When I repeated the test this evening, the first thing I noticed was that I needed to turn the volume up higher in order to achieve 92dB in the first place. In other words, the space itself is noticeably quieter than it was before. This shouldn't have surprised me ... but it did. :)

I then took my noise meter out to the garden door and - it didn't register. By that I mean that background noise levels in Chiswick on a Sunday evening vary between 55dB and 60dB, rising to 65dB when a jumbo comes by on its way to Heathrow, and to about 70dB when a fire engine goes by. By the garden door I was getting readings of less than 60dB, i.e. background noise levels.

Then I went round to the main door (recognised above as the weakest point for sound insulation) and the SPL was peaking at about 62dB, instantly drowned out by any aircraft flying past. In case you're wondering, 60dB is the volume at which two people hold a normal conversation.

To cut a long story short, in order to make enough noise that the neighbours would even notice that I was playing, I would require sound levels in the rehearsal space to be reaching maybe 100dB (which is [i][b]bloody [/b][/i]loud in a small room). In order to annoy and upset the neighbours, I would probably need to be playing at an ear-damaging 110dB, not something that's likely to happen any time soon.

Result.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1337056' date='Aug 11 2011, 09:56 PM']Owing to the bizarre history of this site, my garage is roughly 30 yards from the nearest habitation - a very rare situation in Chiswick.[/quote]

yet your Orange Terror was still capable of shaking the windows when cranked up in the (pre) garage :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1340779' date='Aug 15 2011, 03:39 PM']Nice one!

You guys are going to have to think about some kind of air con in summer though aren't you?[/quote]

We'll just have to stop using it for a couple of weeks each year.

:)

In truth, the 2-door design coupled with two smokers in the band just means that we'll need a fag-break every 30 minutes with both doors open and a through draft.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1340819' date='Aug 15 2011, 04:11 PM']so will there be enough room for kit, 2 guitarists, keys, and bass?[/quote]

No keys these days (he ... erm ... left six months ago). The rest of us can fit given the minimal backline needed, but far & away the biggest issue is the kit.

There's no room for an acoustic kit and I wouldn't want one anyway. Even the electronic kits take up too much space for my tastes.

Best idea seems to be a Roland HD1-drum thingy. May take a while to surface on eBay at a reasonable price.

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='1340879' date='Aug 15 2011, 05:07 PM']thats fantastic mate!

out of curiosity - what size would be the minimum for full acoustic kit, 2 guitars, bass and vox?

I cant wait till the kids do one and i get my own personal space! lol[/quote]

Depends on what else you want in there.

The initial internal size of this garage was 5.2M x 2.4M. It's now almost exactly 5M x 2M but would easily take the line-up you describe IF it didn't also have to store my kit, the band's PA, and of course my bike.

T'would be cosy, but you shouldn't be in a band if you're not ready for that. :)

Everyone has been too polite to ask, and building costs will vary enormously depending on materials and on who does the work, but the cash cost of ALL this work to me was significantly less than £5000.

That's materials, labour, finishes, the lot.

And, of course, I ended up doing very little of it myself, courtesy of my bad back.

Those of you with decent DIY skills would find this a doddle.