Why become a member? ×

Advice needed: which Envelope Filter and Phaser?

Old Horse Murphy

I normally don't "do" pedals but for a few of our songs an Envelope Filter/wah and a Phaser would fit the bill perfectly.

I'm not too good and setting pedals up with millions of knobs etc so I'm looking for something relatively easy to set up.I am not looking for top of the range boutique pedals but would be grateful for any advice and suggestions.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

It does depend on your budget. The BEF looks like a stonking bit of kit & if moog didn't make the MF-101, I'd have one.
The Moog MF-101 is my choice of kit as it's very flexable & simple enough & has an awesome sound (IMO of course).
Another option you could consider is a multi fx unit as it may be a cheaper option if you're only gonna use fx for a couple of songs (that's how it starts & before you know it, your bass sounds nothing like it did a year ago :) ).
There's cheaper options like the EXH Qtron (I don't like the whishy sound it has).

MXR 90 seems to be the phaser of choice, but someone will be along to offer better advice on that.

Edited by xgsjx

I think the MF-101 is not the best choice if your after a classic envelope filter (ala auto wah). It's a little harder to get to grips with and excels better in other areas (such as a dub tons shaper). My vote would be the 3Leaf Groove Regulator or the MXR Bass Envelope Filter...

Phaser however... HAS to be the Moog 12-Stage Phaser. I can't find anything close for use with a bass. EBS DPhaser is nice, but not a patch on the Moog

For ease of use and a quality sound I couldn't recomment an EHX Q-Tron highly enough. Its really straght forward, is easy to get a good sound out of and is very cheap. On the down side it takes its own PSU and is a large pedal. If this didn't bother you thats what I'd go for.

The EXH nano stone phaser is cheap - has 1 knob, so couldn't be easier to use.

Phaser - EHX Nano Small Stone or MXR Phase 90 will do the job nicely if you don't want to splash the cash on boutique pedals.

There are of course many filters out there, the MXR BEF has many fans as does the 3Leaf stuff. I have one of these, it brings the funk for me:

Edited by dannybuoy

For envelope filters,I love the Emma DiscumBOBulator.I like the Boomstick Bottom Feeder
as well. For a Phaser,I like the Guyatone Phase Shifter.

If you want something a bit different,check out the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser-it's a
brilliant pedal.