Why become a member? ×

Etiquette when shipping abroad

WonderHorse

So I may be sending my Ampeg to Greece if the buyer still wants it. I just need to get measurements over the weekend for size and weight.

I've never shipped abroad. The amp is flight-cased, but I'm assuming I'll still need to find a box to put it in. Also when does the guy pay? Does he pay when he receives it or half when I send it and the other half when he gets it or summat similar? I'm not sure how it works?

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='1328685' date='Aug 5 2011, 01:25 PM']So I may be sending my Ampeg to Greece if the buyer still wants it. I just need to get measurements over the weekend for size and weight.

I've never shipped abroad. The amp is flight-cased, but I'm assuming I'll still need to find a box to put it in. Also when does the guy pay? Does he pay when he receives it or half when I send it and the other half when he gets it or summat similar? I'm not sure how it works?[/quote]

I would get the full 100% payment before i even considered it leaving me.

Just get it insured fully. and bubblewrap it to hell

Payment first.Insure it.
Why are you wrapping it?
It`s a FLIGHTCASE!
It`s meant to be shipped around the world, that`s it`s purpose in life.
The only thing I would do is gaffa tape the butterfly catches flat so they don`t stick out.
If you must wrap it, just go for thick cardboard and miles of parcel tape.

Personally, even though its a flight case, I would put a couple of layers of bubble wrap around it at least. It would be a real shame if it turned up with a huge scratch on it, even if it didn't affect the function at all. The couriers will throw this around far more than a roady would.

Also depends on the flight case of course. There are flight cases and 'flight cases'.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1328722' date='Aug 5 2011, 01:58 PM']Personally, even though its a flight case, I would put a couple of layers of bubble wrap around it at least. It would be a real shame if it turned up with a huge scratch on it, even if it didn't affect the function at all. The couriers will throw this around far more than a roady would.

Also depends on the flight case of course. There are flight cases and 'flight cases'.[/quote]

^^^this.

If it *can* be thrown around, then it probably *will* be thrown around.

Shipping internationally isn't really much different to shipping to someone in the same country. The only difference is that choosing a courier is harder. Wrap it well, send it tracked and insured, and get your payment in advance.

Payment first.

Cardboard box the flightcase (you may need to do this for insurance purposes - especially if the case is part of the deal), but leave the handles accessible. That way there's a chance that they'll get used and it will be handled better than if it was completely boxed.

One thing I did when shipping a bass to Spain was to take a few photographs of it going in the case, and photos of how I'd packaged it, so I had a couple showing how the bass was padded inside the case, how the case was sealed, padding outside the case etc. I sent these photos to the buyer so that if customs opened it he would be able to tell, and if there was any damage that wasn't in the photos it would be easier to blame the courier. It didn't take long to occasionally pick up my phone and take some snaps and I don't know about the buyer but it certainly made me feel a lot less nervous about shipping it. :)

Full payment before it leaves your hands and work on the principal that those handling it don't give a s**t how precious it is and will take no care whatsoever..Pop down to you local washing machine shop and get a box from them and use plenty of tape..