Why become a member? ×

Decent amp for gigging

newbass1000

I've been playing seriously about 18 months now, just joined my first serious band and I'm looking to start gigging,
I need a decent amp, but I've got no clue where to start, Looking at a budget of 400 or so, Just looking some advice on what make, combo or stack, etc
Getting a lot of money In a couple of weeks so just trying to get a good idea of what I want.

Something like this?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145727"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145727[/url]

I used a Line6 LD300pro for ages and loved it but I have a feeling they cost a lil bit more now.

Keep an eye on the 2nd hand market on here and learn what's popular/try as many as you can.

Usual suspect under budget is Hartke IME.

If you have no issues with your back, storage space isn't an issue and you want to maximise how far your money goes then you can pick up used Trace Elliot gear on here for next to nothing. Pro-quality for entry level prices. 300W head with a 15" cab plus a 2x10" and you have a 'proper' rig that is versatile enough for any gig - and quite probably change out of £500.

Agree re Trace gear.

I`d also look out for Hartke gear. You can get a Hartke amp head and Hartke 410 cab easily within your £400 budget. Hartke gear is reliable, sounds good, and very versatile. Only slight negative is the weight of the XL cabs - approx 90lbs for a 410.

Peavey also, nice sound, indestructable, but very heavy, tho def within the budget.

And re set-up, for me, seperates is the better option. If you get a say, 400 watts at 4 ohms amp, you can put two 8 ohm cabs with it, to get the full power of the amp, but you`ll still get approx 200/250 watts into one 8 ohm cab, which should be plenty. (Re this, I`ve been using 300 watts into an 8 ohm 410, and never needed the volume over 3/3.5, in a rock band with 2 gtrs). Or, get a 4 ohm cab and get the full power into one cab - the choice is up to the user.

The head + 115 + 210 as mentioned by Paul S is a good combination. A few people say to not mix drivers, but I`ve had this set-up a couple of times, and it sounded good. The only downside I found, was that as the two cabs usually sound a lot different, you need your full set-up all the time, which means a lot of lugging about. Which is why I went down the single 410 route.

My advice would be to go for an amp and cab, gives more flexibility and allows you to add later or change your mind about the amp etc and, frankly, combos are heavy!

If you're looking s/h, amps like Hartke go for a song at the moment and you get a great quality amp for £100-200 with a valve preamp etc and tons of power.

For cabs I'd recommend a 2x10 and then you can add a 4x10 or other bigger cab for bigger gigs (or do it the other way round). You get three rigs that way. Again Hartke, but Laney, Peavey etc are all good and go pretty cheap too but, as in all things, buy the best quality you can afford.

For new, same makes but you'll probably end up with just one cab. 4x10 is the jack of all trades, as long as you can hump it about. I use a 2x10 for almost everything, supplement another (or my 1x18 monster) for bigger events as I can no longer be bothered lugging the 410 around all the time.

HOWEVER, my advice would be to have a good listen, especially to the cabs, before you buy to make sure it all makes the noises/gives the range of sounds etc that you like. A cab that's deep front to back is likely to sound deep too, if that's what you want (combos rarely are).

(Lastly as you're starting out perhaps don't spend too much until you know exactly what you want. Can normally get close to your money back on s/h gear)

I agree with what the others have said. If you're fit enough to have a heavy cab there's loads of bargains out there.

Trace Elliots and Hartke would be my first choices, Peavy do some good stuff too.

No competition for me, a stack is always a better option than a combo so many more options,easier to upgrade, option of taking just the head to gigs and sharing a cab.

Bang for buck to get the better rig for £400 or so, would be TE. Assuming you need an amp AND cab

It is heavy and bombproof and although it is easily outclassed nowadays..as it is 20 plus years old line, it is unlikley to let you down.
Nothing sophisticated about it... and the EQ is a basic graphic .. you should get a good pub gigging rig for around that money.
Very good starter gear now for the money you can pick it up for

Whilst I don't fully agree with combos being heavier than separates, in your situation amp & cab would maybe be the better option.
If you can stretch another £200 or so, then a Markbass combo is both light & loud & should you need more, then you just add another cab & job's done.

I'd probably try & get as good an amp as poss with your money as decent non neo cabs can be picked up for not a lot of £s. You can get a Markbass LMII for @ £3-350.
2x10 cab would be my choice & add another 2x10 if needed at a later date.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1324661' date='Aug 2 2011, 06:39 PM']Whilst I don't fully agree with combos being heavier than separates ...[/quote]

Ever tried to shift a 4x10 combo? Might be lighter than a head and cab together but as a lump you'll need your friendly drummer's help.

Just another li'l comment, my lad is out gigging tonight, public transport, no doubt way down the bill, took his head but will use the cab that's there. Two reasons, he knows his head, and secondly its not that powerful and so he can't be blamed for destroying someone else's cab.

I had a 4x10 Trace combo, t'was a heavy lump but did have a good sound. I now have a 2x10 Markbass combo which blows the socks off the TE. Produces wads more bass & volume than the TE could dream of & I can carry it with one hand. My pedalboard weighs more! :)
No chance would I go back to a 4x10.

But like I said, in the OPs case, a light amp & a 2x10 cab would be better for his budget. Then he can upgrade his cab at a later date.
& if I was in your sons position, I could always pop the head out my combo, pop a lid on it & put it in my gig bag.