Why become a member? ×

What would you recommend for an agressive, long sustain bass ?

analogrowl

Hello uk,

Well, hello to that nice community. I'm not from UK but looking at that board because of the interesting prices and information.
I'm from france and i'm asking for some advices in that place as for me lot of music i listened come from UK.

Actually i just joined a new musical project which is oriented in doom/drone/sludge/stoner rock. I do have a 6-string warwick thumb bolt-on with bartolini electronics which is amazing for jazz or funk but not suited for an aggressive sound. Bands who influence us are bands like shellac, refused, neurosis, storm of light, melvins, electric wizard, sleep, kyuss and lot more.

I'm currently a PBass 5 american deluxe using DIY fuzz pedals amplified by an US ampeg SVT-PRO3 head with an 4*10" ampeg CAB. As the bass isn't mine i'm looking to buy one but i'm just not sure of what i should consider. I've get in touch with travis bean (which made guitars and bass for steve albini and bob weston as i loved the bass sound in the ep "live at action park") but his price for a 5-String are a little more than i can put in for now.

My budget is around 2000€ (~1750£) and i can buy it in france, germany, uk or usa (as i've some friends over there). So what you guys would you recommand for a bass that sound very rock, very raw, aggressive, blast with a huge sustain.

I think a bass with a 35" neck, with string through body, with a string spacing between 18-19" would be nice. But i don't really know if i should go for a passiv or activ bas (i think activ would be better because of the effects chain (mainly fuzz)). If i should go for a 5 or 4 string bass tuned in BEAD (i'd prefer a really good 5 one). I should go for a pre-EB MM Stingray, or a 5-string Stingray or the new classic 5-String Stingray ? Or a sandberg, or a Lakland ?? Or a vintage passiv PBass ? a 5-string JBass Marcus Miller signature ?

Any help appreciate because there isn't much gear to try here in France !
I'm not looking for a versatile bass, i do have one for playing other type of sh*t, but that one should rock and blast each time it's plugged in. Most of the time fuzz is on (derivated from sonny and bear, woly mammoth, big muff) with a plectrum close to the bridge?

Also i might come in london in a few month to try some stuff, any shop i should visit ?
Thanks by advance, and regards from France,

Olivier

Edited by analogrowl

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1319350' date='Jul 28 2011, 03:32 PM']If you can blend your fuzzy signal with a clean one that will make it sound very aggressive! My bass is nothing special but it sounds so angry it scares even me sometimes![/quote]

I'm thinking about that, as i'd have the clean low end bass with the fuzzy medium.
How do you achieve such blending ?

First off, to help you as you stand now, your Warwick should actually do the trick. :-)
I also use a Jazz oriented bass (Yamaha TRB6II) but in Death Metal instead, works a treat.

So, you use fuzzy distortion. I recently got taught about "The Fearedse way" when it comes to aggressive bass tone of that ilk, maybe you should check that out. There's a tutorial on Youtube.
End of the day I say this; It's all about your mid range!
Blend clean signal with distorted, so you don't loose the low end and tweak them mids!
The MXR M181 Bass Blowtorch is fantastic for mono signal distortion blending as it has a mid range selector which will dial in any form of aggression you need without sounding nasal or piercing, which is what you'll want.

Will look into the basses suggestion later if you really want a new toy (and who doesn't). :-)
But for now, play around with your Warwick.
Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne has an astounding aggressive and full tone and he just uses a 5-string Thumb. :-)

Welcome Olivier,
I see you mentioned Steve Albini - I'm a fan of Big Black myself.
For 35" scale, active pre-amp, string through body and lots of sustain you could use something like this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145330"]Cirrus[/url]

(I use a bass with the same pickups and pre-amp and I get a fairly aggressive sound with using minimal drive)
Jon

Edited by Adrenochrome

Thanks for your help Kongo, I'd give a try to that MXR pedal which seems really nice. Actually i use only custom made pedals.
My guitarist and drummers (which is also our sound engineer) built them from scratch.
The DIY wooly mammoth i use already got that sort of blending.
But I'll give a try to that MXR too (or try to find the schematics to build it from scratch).

It's true that i didn't tried my warwick yet with that ampeg or the all tube marshall we modified so i'll give it a try.
From what i tried it's true that the warwick seems to have a longer sustain the F PBass.
But for me, a part from the sound side, there are two major issue with that bass.

It's really heavy in term of weight (more than 8KG ~17,6lbs) and the string spacing is very very small.
So not easy to not stroke other string while playing live. And as you said a new toy would be just nice as i'm using this bass since 15years.

Thanks for the suggestion you gave :)

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1319405' date='Jul 28 2011, 03:20 PM']I see you mentioned Steve Albini - I'm a fan of Big Black myself.[/quote]

Same here. If an agressive sound is what's needed - maybe along the lines of Big Black - then a Peavey T-40 would be the way to go :)

Bienvenue a Basschat.
I, too like Kyuss (and Sheavy, Fu Manchu, etc.)
Best "nasty" tone I ever got was by using a Wah pedal as a filter- Set it and don't move it! Used before an Overdrive Pedal, it can sound utterly huge.
Apparently Frank Zappa used a Wah pedal like this, too...

Yeah i'll give it a try to that blowtorch definitively.

Anyone tried the sunny and bear fuzz pedals ?
Thanks for the tip about the wah pedal before the fuzz, never heard of that one.

You guys give me lovely suggestion about pedals but what about the bass :) ?
I really appreciate the tips over the pedals through.

Cheers

[quote name='analogrowl' post='1319577' date='Jul 28 2011, 06:01 PM']Yeah, love big black too :).

Never saw and tried a Peavey bass. Most gear distributed here are combo, or cab but not many bass.
I had an entry combo Peavey and wasn't that bad but i'm curious about their bass now.
Would it works nice in BEAD tuning ?[/quote]

They occasionally go on sale here. I think there may be a black one in the 'For Sale' section at the moment, in fact. They should be fine with BEAD.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1319763' date='Jul 28 2011, 10:08 PM']Tele bass Thud thud thud........ :)[/quote]

Yeah I've been considering those ones. The only problem is that it ain't easy to find to try before buy.
But from what i read these ones have a very high signal and huge low end frequency.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='1319824' date='Jul 28 2011, 11:12 PM']A EBMM Bongo 6 string.

I believe I have one for sale![/quote]

Yours looks amazing, but I'm really looking to a 5 or 4-string bass. With that band i play most of the time on the B-E-A string and sometimes in the D. Sometimes i just play one notes each 30-40seconds so less string is better for this project. Thanks for letting me know btw

Yup i'm in touch with a guy selling a P-T40 let's see what happened. What a about a stingray ? Would you buy a Stingray 5 a Stingray 5 classic, a pre-EB stingray 4 or a 90" stingray 4 ? And what about Lakland us series ? They seems to have 35", string through, nice string spacing. But there aren't a few over there.

[quote name='analogrowl' post='1320080' date='Jul 29 2011, 09:17 AM']Yup i'm in touch with a guy selling a P-T40 let's see what happened. What a about a stingray ? Would you buy a Stingray 5 a Stingray 5 classic, a pre-EB stingray 4 or a 90" stingray 4 ? And what about Lakland us series ? They seems to have 35", string through, nice string spacing. But there aren't a few over there.[/quote]
Yes 'rays are aggressive but I wouldn't really recommend them for metal unless your prepared to eq the hell out of it's ass - the mid bite is too intrinsic for me. I play stoner rock and seldom bring the ray out for that.

I'm currently GASing after one of these pedals, it might interest you:

[url="http://www.sourceaudio.net/videos/post/soundblox-multiwave-bass-distortion-demo/"]http://www.sourceaudio.net/videos/post/sou...istortion-demo/[/url]

also, i love my spector, can be aggresive when needs be.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1320095' date='Jul 29 2011, 10:31 AM']Yes 'rays are aggressive but I wouldn't really recommend them for metal unless your prepared to eq the hell out of it's ass - the mid bite is too intrinsic for me. I play stoner rock and seldom bring the ray out for that.[/quote]

So [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=147084"]that[/url] one would do the job pretty much better for a ray for example ? Never tried a ray yet so i can't really judge them, just a friend of mine who advice them.

Also our band was initially into stoner, we are more doom/sludge oriented now.

Edited by analogrowl