Why become a member? ×

RBX 170...gonna be good enough?

okusman

Gents

I'm playing in Helsinki, Finland next Friday. The rest of the band are really happy with the gear provided, but I've been provided with an ABM 500 1x15 Combo and an RBX 170. I'm gonna take a set of strings to liven her up, but does anyone have any experience of whether she'll be good enough to play a gig with...It's mainly Pop/Soul/Rock...but there are half-a-dozen "thumbed" lines...is this a disaster waiting to happen!?
I really don't wanna take a bass with me!

Any input....

Mark

[quote name='okusman' post='1315033' date='Jul 24 2011, 07:41 PM']Gents

I'm playing in Helsinki, Finland next Friday. The rest of the band are really happy with the gear provided, but I've been provided with an ABM 500 1x15 Combo and an RBX 170. I'm gonna take a set of strings to liven her up, but does anyone have any experience of whether she'll be good enough to play a gig with...It's mainly Pop/Soul/Rock...but there are half-a-dozen "thumbed" lines...is this a disaster waiting to happen!?
I really don't wanna take a bass with me!

Any input....

Mark[/quote]

Although price isn't everything, it is a pretty good indicator of quality.
The RBX170 is currently on sale at around £160.

[quote name='icastle' post='1315049' date='Jul 24 2011, 07:59 PM']Although price isn't everything, it is a pretty good indicator of quality.
The RBX170 is currently on sale at around £160.[/quote]

While it's a fairly cheap bass, I've played one, and owned another Yamaha bass and I have to say both of them were of a much better standard than the price suggests. As far as basses go, Yamaha don't seem to do rubbish!

hi mate iv got a rbx 270 bass and its a great little bass iv got fenders warwicks ibenez ect and got to say i think yamaha basses are some of the best around dont worry just go play your bass and enjoy it . good luck hope it goes well.

There was a very old and very used Yamaha bass in the practice room last week. I haven't a clue which model it was due to it's age. It had on split coil pickup, a set of strings that were probably made just after man had discovered how to make steel and was a little abused.

Obviously I had to have a go :). I was genuinely surprised at how good it sounded and how loud it was. With a decent set and new strings it would have been perfectly playable.