Why become a member? ×

Pickup Replacement for a US Jazz

tattsyrup

Hi

I'm looking to upgrage the pickups on my Standard US Jazz with S1 switching - What do people recommend?

I play a mix of styles - mostly finger style but with some pick and some slap thrown in.

I've been looking at an active emg j set but I've got the S1 series / parallel switch and like the series (precision style) setting but emj tell me you can't wire active pickups like that. That got me considering emg JHZ passive pickups and a BTC 2 band eq to replace my the tone control - would I be able to keep the S1 switching with this setup?

Feel free to recommend anything else - I have a budget of up to £200 and if I can't keep the S1 I suppose it's not the end of the world

Cheers

Dan

I put a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack bridge pickup in my Aerodyne Jazz Bass that I had. Hum cancelling, and a lot more bite to it, but still sounded like a "proper" Jazz Bass sound, not that metallic sound you get from the Quarterpounders.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1314515' date='Jul 24 2011, 10:35 AM']What is it that you don't like about the current pick ups?[/quote]
This. There is very little wrong with the pickups in the bass. I can't really think of putting anything else in as an upgrade per se. What are they missing, tonally, that you want to bring in?

If you put in EMGs you'll need to replace all the pots anyway, so the S1 switch isn't going to be a factor unless you stay with passive pickups. Have you considered leaving the bass as is and getting the likes of an external Sadowsky preamp? If you're just looking for a little more high end zing for slap, that'll do it and you won't have to break out the soldering iron.

/[/quote name='BigRedX' date='Jul 24 2011, 10:35 AM' post='1314515']
What is it that you don't like about the current pick ups?
[/quote]

They seem to lack a bit of punchiness and the output is very low. I use a wireless system (so no external preamps) and it hardly twitches the signal meter.

In the true spirit of recommending whatever it is you use, I've got Wizard 84's in my S1 Jazz. The series switch is barely ever off, (no hum/simplicity/lazyness), and comparing them to the stock pups they're alot louder and darker, at the expense of some top end sparkle.