Why become a member? ×

John Entwistle's Status Buzzard 1 FOR SALE

garethox

Yep, that's right and it's official, it seems that B1's are like buses - you wait for one and then a few turn up at once! Of course, this was The Ox's personal stage played Buzzard and everyone pretty much knows the tale behind this particular guitar. If you don't, in a nutshell - John played it at concerts in Japan in 2001 before giving it to his drummer, Steve Luongo, to take back to the U.S. John subsequently passed on and the bass was sold to a Director of the John Entwistle Foundation, from whom I purchased it.
I have owned the bass for 2 years now and with a family that is fast growing up I've decided it is time for someone else to own and love John's bass.
The guys at Rock Stars Guitars guitars are handling the sale and if anyone has any questions re: anything at all (price/condition etc etc) please feel free to PM me. Follow the link below for more detail including price, which is £15,250:

[url="http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/STATUS-JOHN-ENTWISTLE-BUZZARD-BUZZARD-1998-Graphite-17900"]http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/STAT...-Graphite-17900[/url]

There are a couple of things in the ad text which need correcting. I purchased the bass from a Director of the JEF NOT the JEF itself and John did NOT use it at the CFNY, although it was his spare for the gig. This will be corrected asap.

There are some pictures below:

[url="http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3582&highlight=Buzzard+B1&pid=35209#post_35209"]http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/viewthre...5209#post_35209[/url]

Thanks for looking.

Gareth.

PS..... Forgot to add that I will deliver it for free, in person, anywhere within the mainland UK.

Edited by garethox

[quote name='CPBassman' post='1312751' date='Jul 22 2011, 02:18 PM']That has to warrant an extra few Lotto lines.....
Fantastic piece of rock history!!![/quote]

I'd be more interested in the FrankenP he used at Leeds.

Does it still exist? Or has it been Townshended?

[quote name='bremen' post='1312791' date='Jul 22 2011, 02:52 PM']I'd be more interested in the FrankenP he used at Leeds.

Does it still exist? Or has it been Townshended?[/quote]

Yep it still exists. It was sold at Sotheby's in 2003 and would cost maybe triple what the Buzzard is worth. I think the HRC may have bought it....

[quote name='garethox' post='1312796' date='Jul 22 2011, 02:55 PM']Yep it still exists. It was sold at Sotheby's in 2003 and would cost maybe triple what the Buzzard is worth. I think the [b]HRC[/b] may have bought it....[/quote]

[b]H[/b]er majesty's [b]R[/b]evenue and [b]C[/b]ustoms?

[quote](garethox @ Jul 22 2011, 02:55 PM)

Yep it still exists. It was sold at Sotheby's in 2003 and would cost maybe triple what the Buzzard is worth. I think the HRC may have bought it....[/quote]

[quote name='lanark' post='1312903' date='Jul 22 2011, 04:04 PM'][b]H[/b]er majesty's [b]R[/b]evenue and [b]C[/b]ustoms?[/quote]

That's HMRC, he means Honda Racing Corperation :)

[quote name='paul_5' post='1312929' date='Jul 22 2011, 04:21 PM']Try relic'ing it - you'll get more for it :) .

Seriously though, that's one of, if not THE ugliest bass it's ever been my misfortune to behold. It made my eyes throw up a bit.[/quote]

Thanks for sharing!

I used to have a (ahem....Warwick) and i found i could only use it on serious renditions of Who numbers without feeling silly. I sold it to a Death Metal fan, who was delighted with the looks. This one was one of Johns and that to me makes all the difference. He was the most remarkable bassist!!

[quote name='garethox' post='1312975' date='Jul 22 2011, 05:00 PM']Thanks for sharing![/quote]

You're welcome. Granted it's not to my taste, but it IS a serious part of rock history. Given John's sad passing you should get a good price for this.

No hard feelings and good luck with the sale.

Well, there are currently three for sale:

1. Gareths ex JE one, in best condition, at a real fantastic price
2. Mine, non JE owned, also in best condition, also at a great price
3. That particular one on Ebay, ex Tim Harden of Buzzardbass.com, sold for a fair price too and now beeing put up by the seller for 55K.....
Well there are two perfect B1 available now, on JE owned, one not.
Guys, put out your wallets and buy both!!!

Cheers
Oliver

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1313102' date='Jul 22 2011, 07:06 PM']Well if i had a couple of quid lying about and it was a choice between the rusty old non entwhistle status buzzard on ebay the other day and this one, it's a no brainer really isn't it?[/quote]

...and mine is £20,000 cheaper!

[quote name='garethox' post='1313292' date='Jul 22 2011, 09:44 PM']...and mine is £20,000 cheaper![/quote]

I could buy the bass and spend the rest of the money on a nearly new sports car. Plus i wouldn't have to pick it up in person lol.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='senmen' post='1313168' date='Jul 22 2011, 08:09 PM']Well, there are currently three for sale:

1. Gareths ex JE one, in best condition, at a real fantastic price
2. Mine, non JE owned, also in best condition, also at a great price
3. That particular one on Ebay, ex Tim Harden of Buzzardbass.com, sold for a fair price too and now beeing put up by the seller for 55K.....
Well there are two perfect B1 available now, on JE owned, one not.
Guys, put out your wallets and buy both!!!

Cheers
Oliver[/quote]

There is a guy from italy (look up The who cover John entwistle buzzard (typed that into youtube and i found him after 5 mins) who has one who wants to sell his! Not sure if he still is though so mght be four!

All i want to know gareth, is why? :)

These basses sound WONDERFUL, i've played a bass built using teh buzzards body dimensions (so same body shape) and it was really comfertable

If only i'd one the euro millions i'd buy all the 2 good ones! (Maybe 3 if the guy from italy is selling anf it's good! haha)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1313646' date='Jul 23 2011, 11:14 AM']There is a guy from italy (look up The who cover John entwistle buzzard (typed that into youtube and i found him after 5 mins) who has one who wants to sell his! Not sure if he still is though so mght be four!

All i want to know gareth, is why? :)[/quote]

I know Andrea (the guy in Italy). He is a collector who has numerous rare instruments - Alembic Spyder etc etc. Good guy who takes care of his gear.

Why? Simple really. I always said I was passing through the Buzzard's life and I have for two years. My girls are getting older and the money can be put to very good use elsewhere. I am definately not bored of how she looks or plays, it is quite simply the greatest bass I have ever played and the fact it was The Ox's is a huge thrill every time I pick her up.