Why become a member? ×

Warwicks

razze06

[quote name='razze06' post='1303288' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:29 AM']Thank you all for your replies, very informative.

Before I can even consider getting me one of these german bad boys, i'll have to wait until the end of the summer and check my bank balance, and maybe offload some of my extras.

However, i've only tried two korean corvettes (bubinga and ash) with two humbuckers each, I should probably see what the other models mentioned sound like whem I play them before I start looking for something in particular...[/quote]

I very much advise you try as many as you can, it will really help. Personally I prefer the ash to the bubinga any day, I think it looks and sounds nicer, though the ash needs regular waxing (if natural finish) and the colour changes over time if it hasnt been waxed - expect/demand a knock down price on ash ones that have gone yellowy and darkened.

Corvette's are fantastic, I tried one and loved it, then going through the same process as you I arrived at the corvette $$, don't buy anything until you try one of those!

[quote name='markstuk' post='1303481' date='Jul 14 2011, 01:02 PM']For me this is the "classic" Warwick.... And at a great price...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145599&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145599&hl=[/url][/quote]
To be a "classic" Warwick, I would argue that it would have to be a neck-thru!

Still a great bass at a great price.....

[quote name='Kev' post='1302815' date='Jul 13 2011, 08:20 PM']I don't find the Warwick range too complicated, compare to Fender for example.

To echo comments above, avoid buying new at the moment, just depreciate immediately and you'll lose alot when you sell; however if you pick a new one up and its perfect, you may never sell! :)

Best bet is a 2nd hand one on here or ebay. Older the better IMHO, alhough the more recent ones get very positive reviews, but then again not many of them will be up for sale at the moment. I would look for a nice 90's active Corvette standard with a nice slim wenge neck for about 500-600 quid. If your budget is a bit higher, the streamer of WH above is pretty tasty, [color="#008000"]as is the other '91 streamer NT owned by Luke that is up for sale at the moment[/color]. Whilst the Rockbass range may be decent from time to time, they don't have the sound of a true Warwick due to the cheaper woods/electronics. I imagine quality control is at mexican Fender level so advise you try before you buy!

How much have you to spend?[/quote]

ahem.... that hasn't been bumped for a while for a good reason...... must go modify that post. Unless possible forthcoming studies mean I need the money. Ideally I stick a set of nordies or something in it. anyway.....

if you're going to buy one, go early 90's or earlier, go neck through. If I were looking I would look for: NT Thumb, Streamer Stage one, Streamer stage two.... and maybe the infinity thing like warwickhunt has just to see what it's like.
I have a funny love hate thing with my streamer (which I now put down to the pickups I think) but it is a fantastic plank. Given unlimited funds I would buy this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=131245"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=131245[/url] without a blink of the eye.

anyway go play some, and I'm not far if you want to come over have a try.

No-one's mentioned the necks. Why has no-one mentioned the necks?

Early Warwicks had lovely slim necks. Then they got all fat and treetrunk-like. Apparently they are now slim again (I haven't tried a new one out). So if you go second-hand, be prepared to try a few out.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1304774' date='Jul 15 2011, 02:45 PM']No-one's mentioned the necks. Why has no-one mentioned the necks?

Early Warwicks had lovely slim necks. Then they got all fat and treetrunk-like. Apparently they are now slim again (I haven't tried a new one out). So if you go second-hand, be prepared to try a few out.[/quote]

Agree with this.
I have an 89 Thumb NT since new with EMG's and neck is very slim and so easy to play.
Compare that to my passive Rockbass which has a more "modern" thicker feel to it. (obviously opposite ends of the market)
The Rockbass is very basic in terms of tone and i find it suits Rock music and little else. Might suit a bit of slap but won't do justice to sound.
My Thumb bass has a distinct mid growl and also suits certain playing styles more than others. I've always found the streamer stage basses more versatile and able to cover more variations in styles. IMHO.

Agree that NT basses from late 80's to early 90's feel better and IMO sound more distinct than recent versions.

If you can get an early one like the red streamer shown earlier you won't be disappointed but always better to try first.
You'll find that majority of people who have bought early Warwicks tend to either love them or sell them on pretty quickly.
Love or hate thing i guess. I love mine and although I've had many offers i would never sell. I even have a personalised letter from Warwick in pigeon english with a box of goodies to go along with it. That's when service meant something to a bass mfr.
Aaaah bring back the good old days. - :)

Good luck

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1305453' date='Jul 16 2011, 07:54 AM']Agree with this.
I have an 89 Thumb NT since new with EMG's and neck is very slim and so easy to play.
Compare that to my passive Rockbass which has a more "modern" thicker feel to it. (obviously opposite ends of the market)
The Rockbass is very basic in terms of tone and i find it suits Rock music and little else. Might suit a bit of slap but won't do justice to sound.
My Thumb bass has a distinct mid growl and also suits certain playing styles more than others. I've always found the streamer stage basses more versatile and able to cover more variations in styles. IMHO.

Agree that NT basses from late 80's to early 90's feel better and IMO sound more distinct than recent versions.

If you can get an early one like the red streamer shown earlier you won't be disappointed but always better to try first.
You'll find that majority of people who have bought early Warwicks tend to either love them or sell them on pretty quickly.
Love or hate thing i guess. I love mine and although I've had many offers i would never sell. [b]I even have a personalised letter from Warwick in pigeon english with a box of goodies to go along with it. That's when service meant something to a bass mfr.
Aaaah bring back the good old days. - :)
[/b]
Good luck

Dave[/quote]

send them an email now and they are pretty good. and better english than me now

I've always preferred the tone on the BO thumbs to the NT's.. But horses for courses.... But either way for me the earlier Thumbs are the most Warwicky of Warwicks...

[quote name='peteb' post='1303915' date='Jul 14 2011, 07:57 PM']To be a "classic" Warwick, I would argue that it would have to be a neck-thru!

Still a great bass at a great price.....[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1306104' date='Jul 16 2011, 07:22 PM']send them an email now and they are pretty good. and better english than me now[/quote]

Not so sure about that.
I sent them an email asking if they could supply straplocks to fit a 1989 Thumb and got no response at all.
Wasn't impressed and I'm still looking.
They have an inserted hex bolt fitting rather than a screwnail and are different size from new types.

Still i live in hope that someday i will find the said item :)

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1307503' date='Jul 18 2011, 10:06 AM']Not so sure about that.
I sent them an email asking if they could supply straplocks to fit a 1989 Thumb and got no response at all.
Wasn't impressed and I'm still looking.
They have an inserted hex bolt fitting rather than a screwnail and are different size from new types.

Still i live in hope that someday i will find the said item :)

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Have you got some pics of the fittings? I'd have thought someone here could recognize what they are. My guess would be they are Dunlops which are very similar to the current Warwick ones, but slightly different sizes so not 100% compatible.

[quote name='mart' post='1307592' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:06 AM']Have you got some pics of the fittings? I'd have thought someone here could recognize what they are. My guess would be they are Dunlops which are very similar to the current Warwick ones, but slightly different sizes so not 100% compatible.[/quote]

Already tried on BC with pics and no luck.
They were originally Schaeller i think but the older version had a smaller diameter.
The other prob is that the stud is slightly recessed into the wood and has a hex bolt rather than woodscrew.

I've been using Sure-Lok straps since early 90's and recently fitted the "retro" versions to my leather padded strap so they are pretty good items if you ever need them. Last one eventually broke after 22 yrs so can't complain and that was only because i sat my bass on a new stand right where the sure-lok attachment was and it finally gave up the ghost.

Appreciate the feedback though and i still live in hope for the original Warwick fittings.

Thanks
Dave
:)

[quote name='cocco' post='1314412' date='Jul 24 2011, 02:23 AM']In my experience the bolt on thumb and the corvette $$ are the only 2 you need to know about. They're bloomin brilliant.[/quote]

Speaking of which, mine is for sale, and it's a custom shop lovely thing.....

Sorry for the shameless plug

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1310596320' post='1303021']
Yup, s/h and German's the way to go. Don't underestimate the Fortresses, tho - I've had a few Warwicks (Corvette, $$ NT, etc) and I think my 93 wenge-neck Fortress is one of the best basses, let alone Warwicks, I've ever played. Mmmmm, wenge... :)
[/quote] de ja vu buddy but have to plus the 1 on that...still loving mine...apart from our colours eh :lol:

Yeah, the early 90's fortress basses were in no way entry level, at £1200 new that's some bloody entry, I'm going to assume that he meant the new rockbass fortresses and not the originals, wenge neck, passive with active pre amp and a balance and feel all of its own. I played one when I started out on bass and it remains my GAS mainstay. Luckily I'm buying one tomorrow.

Edited by StephenFerguson