Why become a member? ×

I want more Mr Palladino..

bubinga5

some know his colaboration in this trio, if not its a great testemant to his playing.. frickin awsome groove playing with this odd time switching to 4/4.... wonderful taste in what notes and timing go with a song.....for me hes one of the ultimate bass players... fingerstyle bass playing doesnt get much better than this imho.. anyone got any other vids of him..

i heard Bona was in the crowd and was blown away by his playing

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeLmVWzRiY0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeLmVWzRiY0[/url]

Edited by bubinga5

The bass playing was great but I didn't hear that much of it because I had to turn it off, that music was just so mindless and lacking in direction it felt as if someone was taking a cheese grater to my soul. Sorry, just not even remotely close to my thing.

..i see where your coming from.. but mindless and no direction..? its a journey not a journey with snack breaks... :)

i love it when a band takes you through different directions.. and when there up the groove is there..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1291541' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:19 PM']no chorus, no bridge..i see where your coming from.. but mindless and no direction..? its a journey not a journey with snack breaks...[/quote]

All of course IMO but:
mindless - because I didn't think much of it sounded good together, or that the riffs/lines/runs/sections were particularly appealing/catchy/something I'd want to listen to again. The one guy was saying how he thought a three piece meant it didn't sound muddled and rubbish, I disagree
no direction - because I didn't think it flowed particularly well either (and I don't just mean intro verse chorus bridge), and didn't really grow or swell or decline in any kind of atmospheric sense, was just there

EDIT: he's still a great bass player and light years ahead of anywhere I could ever aspire to ability wise, just not a musical fan! :)

Edited by dc2009

[quote name='dc2009' post='1291550' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:23 PM']All of course IMO but:
mindless - because I didn't think much of it sounded good together, or that the riffs/lines/runs/sections were particularly appealing/catchy/something I'd want to listen to again. The one guy was saying how he thought a three piece meant it didn't sound muddled and rubbish, I disagree
no direction - because I didn't think it flowed particularly well either (and I don't just mean intro verse chorus bridge), and didn't really grow or swell or decline in any kind of atmospheric sense, was just there[/quote]

I respectfully disagree with pretty much all of this - catchy, with an evolving groove that I could get heavily into, and follow on a journey. That Moog line is wicked in particular.
I do think it's the kind of music that's best experienced live, I wouldn't be so interested in a studio recording, but that's no bad thing in my book.

I also like the Jaguar bass, didn't realise he used those! Great link, thanks :)

[quote name='SteveK' post='1291584' date='Jul 3 2011, 09:44 PM']Funnily enough, was with Mr Phillips the night before last (TOTO in Stockholm) - great drummer and lovely guy.
dc2009: No law that says PSP has to be your "thing", but you have to admire the effortless style and panache.[/quote]
+100 = 101.. total effortless playing..

If you're on spotify Bubinga, the BC Pino lovers (myself included) have started a community playlist that can be added to.

I was REALLY suprised/impressed with the Daniel Bedingfield track! Immense bass line. SO much so, I've put it in here.

I suggest listening to Pino's playing with D'Angelo if you're a fan of Pino's REALLY tasty grooves (Brown Sugar in particular)!

[url="http://\"http://open.spotify.com/user/owen_liam/playlist/4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z\""]Basschat Spotify Playlist[/url]

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1291642' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:24 PM']If you're on spotify Bubinga, the BC Pino lovers (myself included) have started a community playlist that can be added to.

I was REALLY suprised/impressed with the Daniel Bedingfield track! Immense bass line. SO much so, I've put it in here.

I suggest listening to Pino's playing with D'Angelo if you're a fan of Pino's REALLY tasty grooves (Brown Sugar in particular)!

[url="http://\"http://open.spotify.com/user/owen_liam/playlist/4J0KMwu3HUz9u2joumbZ2Z\""]Basschat Spotify Playlist[/url][/quote]i will add myself.. thanks man.. i have everything D Angelo has done and yes his playing is awsome.. behind the beat stuff is very cool.. :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1291642' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:24 PM']I was REALLY suprised/impressed with the Daniel Bedingfield track! Immense bass line. SO much so, I've put it in here.[/quote]

Now that, is some cracking bass.
Tempted to put some Atheist on the list, the music will be disliked by most but the bass in undisputably fantastic.
Check out And the Psychic Saw

[quote name='dc2009' post='1291710' date='Jul 4 2011, 01:11 AM']Now that, is some cracking bass.
Tempted to put some Atheist on the list, the music will be disliked by most but the bass in undisputably fantastic.
Check out And the Psychic Saw[/quote]

Just to make it 10000000% clear.

That spotify playlist is only for music in which Mr Pino Palladino plays bass! He never played in Atheist :)

(P.s. There is another playlist somewhere that is a general "Basschat" playlist but I don't have it on my spotify, so you'll have to find it on the forum somewhere!)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='1291713' date='Jul 4 2011, 01:16 AM']Just to make it 10000000% clear.

That spotify playlist is only for music in which Mr Pino Palladino plays bass! He never played in Atheist :)

(P.s. There is another playlist somewhere that is a general "Basschat" playlist but I don't have it on my spotify, so you'll have to find it on the forum somewhere!)[/quote]

Ahhahah, I was on about the other playlist because I thought you were, I will put atheist on the other playlist then perhaps, and wont tamper with the PP one, although it would be amusing to see your faces when it came on on shuffle! :)

[quote name='dc2009' post='1291715' date='Jul 4 2011, 01:20 AM']Ahhahah, I was on about the other playlist because I thought you were, I will put atheist on the other playlist then perhaps, and wont tamper with the PP one, although it would be amusing to see your faces when it came on on shuffle! :)[/quote]

Haha. I would probably just end up thinking "BLIDDY HELL! Pino played on this?! He really DOES play everything!"

[quote name='toneknob' post='1291849' date='Jul 4 2011, 10:01 AM']

The fill at 1m03s makes me have a little sexy moment with myself[/quote]

Great track. Pino's one of the most tasteful bassists out there - never, ever overplays & plays for the song always.

Cheers,
louisthebass

Funny but I think he "overplays" (otherwise he wouldn't have been noticed so often) but he does it so well that it doesn't bother anyone..
A singer asked me once to learn "New York Minute" and when I played it he said that it was just too much and that I played too many notes..
When I showed him that I copied Pino's line note for note without adding anything he didn't know what to say..