Why become a member? ×

Do i need a router?

Mikeg

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1291032' date='Jul 3 2011, 02:36 PM']Personally I would use a router.

Practice on some off cuts first.

Using in chisel (IMHO) takes years of practice!

The router will be quicker, just take care as they bite if mis-handled :)[/quote]
+1 to practicing first.. make sure any work pieces are clamped down - you'd be surprised how far a router can try to throw either the wood or itself if things move unexpectedly.
No sudden moves, and use eye and ear protection! :)
After all the warnings, a router is a brilliant tool!

I'd use a router.

Two things to remember though:

1) Don't try cutting the depth all in one go - you're far better off taking it a little bit at a time and staying in control of how much wood you're shifting.

2) Speaking as a man who has a finger with a decorative scroll edge, the safety guards are there for a reason... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1291063' date='Jul 3 2011, 03:18 PM']I'd use a router.

Two things to remember though:

1) Don't try cutting the depth all in one go - you're far better off taking it a little bit at a time and staying in control of how much wood you're shifting.

2) Speaking as a man who has a finger with a decorative scroll edge, the safety guards are there for a reason... :)[/quote]

+1

for both comments

Take it easy and let the router do the work (forcing it will only burn the wood and more chance of an accident).

Safety guards are very useful if you like to keep the full complement of fingers!

Thanks for the help guys, router it is then. And ill be very carefull, i rather like my fingers :)
Oh and im sorry if i post loads of questions here, but im doing my first build and i have a severe lack of knowlage about it :)

[quote name='Mikeg' post='1291110' date='Jul 3 2011, 04:01 PM']Thanks for the help guys, router it is then. And ill be very carefull, i rather like my fingers :)
Oh and im sorry if i post loads of questions here, but im doing my first build and i have a severe lack of knowlage about it :)[/quote]

I have never built a guitar but I used to do a lot of woodwork (for fun).

I recently sold my router and table (not as nice as the one posted above) or you could have had it :lol:

Those NuTool ones look like really good value.

That table looks good :)
Expect a new build diary starting in a few weeks, im going simple and making a single humbucker body, in the musicman posision. With emg electronics because i cant solder to save me life. im stealing the neck of my Lindo PRS copy
Thanks alot for the help guys
Mike

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1291284' date='Jul 3 2011, 06:35 PM']Wasn't there a similar thread to this lately where the general consensus of replies was to go chisel but the OP decided to go router (probably decided before posting the thread) and made a total dog's cock of it?[/quote]
Sadly im completely useless with a chisel :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1291353' date='Jul 3 2011, 07:39 PM']How good are you with a router?[/quote]
Never tried :)
But I dont think I will manage with a chisel. I supose I could try on some spare wood, But I dont think I could get the depth right

Hmmmm...... a router is about the most dangerous power tool there is, so make sure you find out how to use one properly. You need a decent one (1/4inch ones are almost useless - get a half inch) and buy decent bits. Even then, you still need to make or buy templates.

You can buy some very nice chisels and waste a bit of wood practicing. I'm no wood working expert but if you aren't in a rush you can get excellent results with hand tools.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1291404' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:22 PM']Hmmmm...... a router is about the most dangerous power tool there is, so make sure you find out how to use one properly. You need a decent one (1/4inch ones are almost useless - get a half inch) and buy decent bits. Even then, you still need to make or buy templates.

You can buy some very nice chisels and waste a bit of wood practicing. I'm no wood working expert but if you aren't in a rush you can get excellent results with hand tools.[/quote]
I supose I could give it a try, How much would a nice set of chisels set me back?
I have to mention that my budget is rather puny

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1291404' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:22 PM']Hmmmm...... a router is about the most dangerous power tool there is, so make sure you find out how to use one properly. You need a decent one (1/4inch ones are almost useless - get a half inch) and buy decent bits. Even then, you still need to make or buy templates.

You can buy some very nice chisels and waste a bit of wood practicing. I'm no wood working expert but if you aren't in a rush you can get excellent results with hand tools.[/quote]
Very sound advice. :)

Both routers and chisels are nice. Try out what you want to do on scrap wood of the same type as body (guitar) with both methods. Try several times. Then make your decision and go for it. Practice four times, measure twice, cut once (in an ideal world). Router is a great tool but I am so very aware of the damage one can do, think clamps, bit snatching and SAFETY at all times.

[quote name='Mikeg' post='1291418' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:36 PM']I supose I could give it a try, How much would a nice set of chisels set me back?
I have to mention that my budget is rather puny[/quote]
You might not need a whole set. I've done most of my guitar related chisel work with a singe 6mm chisel. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1291436' date='Jul 3 2011, 08:49 PM']I can't imagine how to get radiussed inside corners with a chisel. I'm planning something similar and will go down the router route.[/quote]
Use a dremel or home made "dowel" sanding blocks. :)

For a little inspiration, here's one I made earlier - [b]all hand tools[/b].

This...

... to this...

... to this...

... to this...

I don't know if you've heard of forstner bits? These are fancy drill bits that make a hole with a flat base. You can use these to get the most of the wood out and do the corners. If you have a drill press you are laughing. You will have the basic cavity all at the right depth. It's only left to chisel out the remainder and clean it up.

Edited by thepurpleblob