Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stone mag

Pete Academy

[quote name='dc2009' post='1289173' date='Jul 1 2011, 03:39 PM']I'm just not a fan, in the slightest. The only songs of theirs I've liked have always been covered better by another band IMO, their own stuff is just plain old boring.[/quote]

The phenomenon that is the Beatles with the benefit of 21st century hindsight seems pointless. However, while they stole and grabbed stuff from everywhere they found it and passed it off as their own (I have no evidence for this) they were the FIRST to bring it to mainstream attention, thus having more influence than any band ever in the history of music. Simply for doing so many different things in a very catchy way, more bands started because of them than anybody else.
I'm not a fan either, but I can see what they did there...

Mind you, revolver is a flipping brilliant album, and Rubber Soul, oh and the WHite Album, not forgetting Sgt. Peppers... damn it. Maybe I am a fan again... :)

[quote name='toneknob' post='1288854' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:57 AM']Some of them are among the "without whom" I'd never have picked up the instrument in the first place: Geddy, Jack Bruce, JPJ, John Entwistle (missing are Tony Levin, Chris Squire). Have come to love PMac, Victa and Jaco since.

I should really like Les Claypool but don't get it. (My Primus ticket is on eBay if anyone's interested). Flea, Cliff... not my thing either.[/quote]

You'll never see CS making any sort of list in Rolling Stone. There's some sort of policy over there that almost tries to deny prog existed. Hence they've never been inducted into the R'n'R Hall of Fame (Jann Wenner again).

• 2 weeks later...

... and for those of us who think 'best of' polls are a total waste of time - here's another one to moan about! Woo hoo!! :)

This time it's the top "30 amazing unsung bassists", as postulated by Music Radar.

I'm just glad Horace Panter is among them. He doesn't get enough kudos that man.

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/30-amazing-unsung-bassists-in-no-particular-order-286816#!22"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/30-ama...-286816#!22[/url]

never mind all the boring comments abbout who should be where etc etc

WTF are they doing posting a link to a karaoke version of TOM SAWYER :)

i hope that is not the bass line from the master tape or i'll be round and give him a few lessons in how to use a metronome!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1289142' date='Jul 1 2011, 03:12 PM']in fact, I would go so far as to say the beatles are the most over-rated music act of all time.[/quote]
+1!

Though can someone please explain to me the actual musical definition of the word "influential"? NOT in relation to the above quote though, obviously the Beatlezzzzzzz were influential; but AFAICS it's a word that is bandied about far to easily to give credibibility where none is deserved.
To me "influential" means that they left a large & lasting change in their genre. for eg; How can Bob Dylan be classed as influential? All he did was [i]influence[/i] Donovan to do similar with lesser success.
People/bands I've seen described as influential...........
Beatles? Yes
Dylan? No
Hendrix? Yes
Springsteen? No

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1300164' date='Jul 11 2011, 06:41 PM']i hope that is not the bass line from the master tape or i'll be round and give him a few lessons in how to use a metronome![/quote]

He's got one - works it with his feet. :)

[quote name='dc2009' post='1288256' date='Jun 30 2011, 09:40 PM']I'm with Wooten, Geddy, Flea, Claypool, Burton and Jaco, the rest of them are IMO boring bassplayers who wrote boring basslines for boring bands. Nothing I've ever seen on the cover of Rolling Stone has ever persuaded me to pick the thing up, let alone read it, and the opinions of its readership has not done much to change this. [b]The lack of Justin Chancellor I think is a bad one, he's written some great stuff.[/b] I'd also like to see John Myung up there, among others.[/quote]

I agree 100% but I am a certified Tool nut!

Its all too subjective innit!

I have to give Cliff Burton some props for getting in the top ten despite being buried in the mix in most of his recordings.

I really find these lists to be pointless and every time there is one everybody gets in a flap about who is in and out. So I'll join in regardless.

No Peter Hook? Come on!