Why become a member? ×

big muff

gub

Would a guitar big muff be ok for bass ? its just i have been offered one as a present that is no longer being used by my mate who used to use it for his guitar . the bass one was on my birthday list , can i now cross it off or are they totaly different?

despite the fact the russian bug muff is actually a guitar pedal and not a bass anyways, it sounds beaut.

BUT, i'd stick to the BASS big muff over the guitar big muff (in the link). I hav the bass and the russian, and the bass one sounds great on the 'dry' mode, which has 50% of your CLEAN signal so you dont lose any low end, and 50% of effect.

I haven't tried the Russian or Bass Muff but I have a guitar one, I think it sounds great. There's obviously less tweaking available compared to the bass one and pedals specific to bass like the ODB-3, and you do loose a tiny bit of low-end, but it's more than bearable and still sounds great to my ears.

Si

Well I used many different kinds of big muff, from he original Sovtek Russians, the Triangle Muffs, the Russian reissues, the newer USA model (as you are considering) and currently have the new BBM on my board. My advice? Go for the new Bass Big Muff. Similar price but a much better sound. The USA silver muff loses far too much lowend and so has to be blended heavily to be usable, IMHO. The BBM is cheap, sounds good and is widely available.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1283387' date='Jun 26 2011, 09:21 PM']The USA silver muff loses far too much lowend and so has to be blended heavily to be usable, IMHO. The BBM is cheap, sounds good and is widely available.[/quote]

I totally agree. The silver one is next to useless without at least a blender.

It's weird people are saying this, I concur that I loose some low-end with the silver muff, but it's not THAT bad and is still workable for sure. To be fair I'm going to be replacing it when my Co-Pilot FX arrives, but mainly because it's gated, but may well leave the Muff on the board for another sound.

For you, is the bass muff available?, or is it Silver one or nothing?

Si

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1283969' date='Jun 27 2011, 12:34 PM']what bass and amp do you use Si? Maybe you don't have that much low end in your sound as it is? Or maybe you use a lot of compression?[/quote]

I the Muff with a Fender Jazz 5 through an Orange Terror and Barefaced 15.....there's a decent amount of low end there! :)
I use some compression from my ME-50B, but not loads at all

Si

...but maybe the main chunk of your sound is mids? Do you have it on a fairly low gain sound? When I tried it (I have 6 strings and a very bassy peavey combo) it seemed to rip all the bollocks out of my sound. Maybe I should give my guitarists silver one another go as he never uses it

Yes, to be fair I'm sure it does depend on what settings you're using, mine is constantly set to Level around 10 o'clock, Tone all the way up, Sustain all the way down!.
I don't boost mids anywhere in my signal, only bass a bit on the ME-50, I also take off some tone and bridge pickup on the bass, but nothing drastic.

Si

I've had a few big muffs for my guitar and currently have the big muff germanium 4 and when I've used them with my bass, all of them have seemed to strip away not only the low end, but also the tone from the amp. to be fair though, i've never played them through any amazing bass amps, only a few <£500 hartke and ampeg combos. Seeing as it is a gift, there's no harm in just trying it out.

[quote name='Sibob' post='1284398' date='Jun 27 2011, 05:45 PM']Yes, to be fair I'm sure it does depend on what settings you're using, mine is constantly set to Level around 10 o'clock, Tone all the way up, Sustain all the way down!.
I don't boost mids anywhere in my signal, only bass a bit on the ME-50, I also take off some tone and bridge pickup on the bass, but nothing drastic.

Si[/quote]

If sustain is all the way down, surely you're not getting any actual distortion? Or does it not go all the way to clean? Most people want a big muff for some fuzz, for which you'd have to have the sustain knob at at least 11 o'clock IMO

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1284456' date='Jun 27 2011, 06:40 PM']If sustain is all the way down, surely you're not getting any actual distortion? Or does it not go all the way to clean? Most people want a big muff for some fuzz, for which you'd have to have the sustain knob at at least 11 o'clock IMO[/quote]

Na doesn't go clean, I'll do a little video later if I can and you can have a listen :)

Si

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1284471' date='Jun 27 2011, 06:50 PM']Sorry to be bombarding you with questions! I'll just check out my mate's silver big muff later this week. I'll post back here with what I find.[/quote]

Ok, did a little demo which I posted here (for what will be an obvious reason when you listen), and probably doesn't shed any light on the 'bass' issue, but might give you some context with regards to the setting I described above

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=72012&view=findpost&p=1284760"]Dubstep demo[/url]

Lemme know what you find with your research :)

Si

Si it is the silver or nothing atm as far as i know unless anyone buys me one for my birthday so have said to my mate i will give it a try and if i dont like it he can have it back as no good me hanging onto it and not using it .

[quote name='civictiger' post='1282973' date='Jun 26 2011, 01:36 PM']despite the fact the russian bug muff is actually a guitar pedal and not a bass anyways, it sounds beaut.

BUT, i'd stick to the BASS big muff over the guitar big muff (in the link). I hav the bass and the russian, and the bass one sounds great on the 'dry' mode, which has 50% of your CLEAN signal so you dont lose any low end, and 50% of effect.[/quote]

Actually it uses 100% of your clean signal plus however much fuzz you dial in on top, resulting in a huge volume boost. I had to mod mine with a separate master volume control to make it useable in a band situation!

All personal preference of course...

That said, I tried the Bass Big Muff and the regular Little Big Muff and opted for the latter. I found the bass version too 'muddy' for my tastes, while the standard LBM had more brightness and clarity in the tone - at least to my ears.

Personally, when I use a fuzz pedal I expect to lose some bottom end and compensate elsewhere (e.g. using EQ) instead, but that's just me.

Best option is always to try before you buy.