Why become a member? ×

good compression units for bass.

ziggydolphinboy

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1279230' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:30 PM']Wazoo - it that a tube compressor one? If it is it will be good - I once had an old heavy first line MB head - it was a silver one, and had a tube compressor in it, and was nice.[/quote]

yes it has a real EEC83 in there

Read this review, very interesting

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/markbass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/markbass.shtml[/url]

Rack:-
dbx160a
Focusrite Compounder (VCA compressor - will give you the most options)
TL Audio Ivory Series (tube jobbie this, not that that is particularly relevant)

Expensive Rack:-
Summit TLA 100a
TubeTech C1
La2a (silly money)
1176 (silly money)

Pedal:-
Markbass Compressore
Joe Meek FloorQ
TC Electronics NovaDynamics (digital, but it features a multiband comp you may dig)

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1279800' date='Jun 23 2011, 04:47 PM']good comments guys
anyone know about the alesis 3630?[/quote]

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/3630.shtml"]ovnilabs is your friend[/url]

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='1279819' date='Jun 23 2011, 04:55 PM'][url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/3630.shtml"]ovnilabs is your friend[/url][/quote]

wow thank you ,
ok dude ive seen a couple of the focusrite compressors so are they good?
ive seen the same mdel that you have in youre avatar just wondered if they are cool .
ive seeen the double focusrite one on ebay but i think that will be too complicated , theres also one on here but im thinking it will be too much .
im looking at 200 quidish or ill go for the markbass compresssre!

The focusrite compounder is an excellent compressor - I got mine for about 250 on ebay.

The markbass compressore has the same set of controls for compression as the compounder, it lacks an expander/gate (good if you ahve a lot of background noise, and it is trivial to set up), and the knob that lets you feed some bass around the compressor, and a limiter section (which you need if you are going to set up any serious compression so that you can tame the transient at the leading edge of the sound).

If you want to learn how to set up a compressor get a fully featured one, it should have at least the following controls:-

threshold
ratio
attack
release
makeup gain

Preferrable knee as well, and a limiter (IMO).

If you arent sure what you are doing then you absolutely must have decent metering, you need to be able to tell how much gain reduction is going on, the input and the output levels. Otherwise you are relying on ears you havent trained to hear something particularly difficult to analyse.

No pedal I have seen has decent metering, I would not recommend one to anyone who is inexperienced in setting up a compressor fo rthat reason alone.

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1279178' date='Jun 22 2011, 10:46 PM']im used to the dual compressoer on the trace heads[/quote]
if you can spare the money, [url="http://www.fealabs.com/products/DBOC-SMX-0001.html"]this[/url] compressor is supposed to be [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/feadualtwo.shtml"]very good[/url]. It's modeled off of the same sort of trace dual compressor you're used to, different circuit design but similar results. has some useful features too, not seen on other comps.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1279414' date='Jun 23 2011, 11:59 AM']Rack:-
dbx160a
Focusrite Compounder (VCA compressor - will give you the most options)
TL Audio Ivory Series (tube jobbie this, not that that is particularly relevant)

Expensive Rack:-
Summit TLA 100a
TubeTech C1
La2a (silly money)
1176 (silly money)

Pedal:-
Markbass Compressore
Joe Meek FloorQ
TC Electronics NovaDynamics (digital, but it features a multiband comp you may dig)[/quote]

A friend of mine built couple LA2As and 1176 for his studio here in Helsinki... super silly money, but if one can afford it, they're worth it IMO.
Super natural and awesome!

Nobody has recommended the Demeter Compulator... one of the most transparent out there!

[quote name='Darkglass' post='1282515' date='Jun 25 2011, 09:49 PM']A friend of mine built couple LA2As and 1176 for his studio here in Helsinki... super silly money, but if one can afford it, they're worth it IMO.
Super natural and awesome!

Nobody has recommended the Demeter Compulator... one of the most transparent out there![/quote]

The Demeter is fantasic..... I have one for sale on eBay.

Sorry for the plug. :)

I'm actually really interested in the new MXR one that's coming out. It looks pretty cool :) I'm only just really starting to get to grips with compression after a long time just fumbling with it, and I would agree that depending on what you're using it for, either a compressor with a limiter, or a standalone limiter to accompany it is really useful for shaping a consistent bass sound.

For pedals I definitely recommend giving the Maxon CP9 Pro+ a try. Very transparent if that's what you're looking for, but can get squishy as well with the more extreme ratio settings if you prefer that.

Edited by Danimal