Why become a member? ×

Possible Dodgyness on Denmark Street?

I always thought of Wunjo as the "good guys" of Denmark street. I popped in for a browse today as I was in the area & fell in love with a candy apple red squier jaguar short scale which was lovely in every way except for the "Special Denmark Street Markup" price.

Looking at the other shorties on display a bass labeled as a 1978 musicmaster priced at £795 jumped out at me, but for the wrong reasons.

Where do I start with this?
[url="http://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/bass/fender-musicmaster-bass"]http://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/bass/fend...usicmaster-bass[/url]

Lets see:
Neck & fingerboard looked OK except for
Badly cracked & glued together headstock
Aftermarket (possible Gotoh?) tuners
Truss rod adjustment looked a bit weird - possibly drilled out or could be allen key adjustment - didn't seem to be the cross shape I expected to see.

Everything else - body/pickup/bridge/single-ply pickguard etc appears to be from a cheapo torino red squier bronco except for a pair of grotty old amp knobs

I asked the salesman whether it had the correct price/description card on it, politely pointed out why I believed a mistake had been made in the description & suggested that they look into it and amend accordingly.

I'd hate to think that someone might buy it thinking its an all-original vintage bass as its from a reputable shop, but I wonder whether it'll still be offered as a genuine original one in a weeks time.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

I'm not sure Wunjo's is exempt from Denmark St disease... they sold a mate of mine a Gibson L-00 acoustic that was actually a re-badged Kalamazoo, as should have been obvious to them from the ladder bracing and lack of truss rod. In that case the money wasn't too bad, but I think it's buyer beware everywhere in the guitar market these days.

Brian (the boss, Scottish chap) always seemed a really genuine guy, sold some stuff for me, some on comission and some a straight sale and he was a pleasure to deal with. If you are confident in your judgement (sorry, not for one second doubting you) give him a call and tell him your concerns - and tell him abouot his good reputation on here!

Cheers,
Mike

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1276202' date='Jun 20 2011, 06:51 PM']Brian (the boss, Scottish chap) always seemed a really genuine guy, sold some stuff for me, some on comission and some a straight sale and he was a pleasure to deal with. If you are confident in your judgement (sorry, not for one second doubting you) give him a call and tell him your concerns - and tell him abouot his good reputation on here!

Cheers,
Mike[/quote]
I've told the Australian chap there - he can pass the info onto the boss if he thinks its important - The conversation stayed friendly, but I wasn't sure whether he was genuinely taking what I was saying on-board, bluffing ignorance whilst knowing it was an overpriced ringer, or humouring me.

Well, FWIW it certainly doesn't look a whole lot like my 1977/78 Musicmaster s/n S839xxx... :)

[attachment=83198:musicmas...ceelliot.jpg]

I'd also take exception to the description "[i]They're lightweight[/i]" - mine weighs a ton!!!

[quote name='tony_m' post='1276406' date='Jun 20 2011, 09:31 PM']I'd also take exception to the description "[i]They're lightweight[/i]" - mine weighs a ton!!![/quote]
Yours possibly has a body made out of Heavy Northern "baseball bat" Ash - one of CBS's cost-cutting measures as it was cheaper than the lightweight swamp ash. My S8 serial Precision (actually made in 1981) is made of this. I used to lend it to the Royal Navy to use as an anchor for an aircraft carrier.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1276741' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:08 AM']Yours possibly has a body made out of Heavy Northern "baseball bat" Ash - one of CBS's cost-cutting measures as it was cheaper than the lightweight swamp ash. My S8 serial Precision (actually made in 1981) is made of this. I used to lend it to the Royal Navy to use as an anchor for an aircraft carrier.[/quote]

...and who said P's weren't versatile? :)

My Musicmaster is extremely light ('76) and has the old skool big back plate tuners on, so probably not a god comparison to this one! To be fair it looks a nice bass!

Wunjo's - agree on the nice comments, top chaps... althuogh I would say the same for V&R. Bought my Les Paul from V&R when there was another one in Wunjo's and V&R moved more on the price (plus the one in Wunjo's had had the tuners swapped round at one point and was in a bit of a state... did have OHSC tho).

I remember seeing a 5 string Ricky 4003 in a kinda turquoise colour with the OHSC for £1250... really should have had that!