Why become a member? ×

A Hot looking Lakland DJ..

bubinga5

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1277692' date='Jun 21 2011, 08:35 PM']Maybe we're looking at things differently. How would you describe this one?

[/quote]
I'd say that's very nice and a little taper is fine but without fitting wider saddles or slimming the neck width that Lakland isn't going to look like that ever.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1277811' date='Jun 21 2011, 02:00 PM']I'd say that's very nice and a little taper is fine but without fitting wider saddles or slimming the neck width that Lakland isn't going to look like that ever.[/quote]
Are you saying it was just designed wrong and not simply made badly? That sounds like the worst criticism of this thread. To me it look easily repairable by properly mounting the bridge.

It's all to do with the ergonomics of the fretting hand vs the plucking hand. There was an article somewhere (probably some medical journal) that said by creating an offset between the top & bottom strings on a fretboard it reduces the risk of RSI and Carpal Tunnel in Bass players. It was also scientifically proven that you could play faster & longer with your bass setup this way. A little bit like Dingwall with their fanned fret system. It might not look nice, but scientifically Lakland's make you a better bass player whereas Sadowsky's do the opposite.

I guess nobody's forcing anybody to buy these, but the facts speak for themselves.

If Lakland are intentionally fitting their bridges skewed in order to provide a better playing experience, I'll eat my hat :)

My SBMM came with an offset bridge - I can't be bothered to sort it out, because once I'm playing I don't notice, but it's bloody irritating to look at.

[quote name='largo' post='1278243' date='Jun 22 2011, 10:28 AM']It's all to do with the ergonomics of the fretting hand vs the plucking hand. There was an article somewhere (probably some medical journal) that said by creating an offset between the top & bottom strings on a fretboard it reduces the risk of RSI and Carpal Tunnel in Bass players. It was also scientifically proven that you could play faster & longer with your bass setup this way. A little bit like Dingwall with their fanned fret system. It might not look nice, but scientifically Lakland's make you a better bass player whereas Sadowsky's do the opposite.

I guess nobody's forcing anybody to buy these, but the facts speak for themselves.[/quote]
That sounds like rubbish. Highly unlikely to be from a medical journal.

I'm struggling to make this clear!

Right I can see day light between the G saddle and the D saddle that is wrong IMO nothing to do with angles etc. That bridge could be centred up with the saddles pushed against each other but the total spread of the strings will still not be enough to fill the width of the board so either the saddles all want to be a mm or two wider or the taper of the neck made smaller. If I had that bass here I could demonstrate easily with some cardboard strips placed between each saddle to get an even spread across the neck with no space between the saddles, Those measurement could then be used to fabricate the correct ones which should be done by Lakland in the first place. Who's going to defend Lakland and tell me the gap is meant to be there, Anyone?

[quote name='largo' post='1278243' date='Jun 22 2011, 02:28 AM']It's all to do with the ergonomics of the fretting hand vs the plucking hand. [b]There was an article somewhere (probably some medical journal)[/b] that said by creating an offset between the top & bottom strings on a fretboard it reduces the risk of RSI and Carpal Tunnel in Bass players. It was also scientifically proven that you could play faster & longer with your bass setup this way. A little bit like Dingwall with their fanned fret system. It might not look nice, [b]but scientifically Lakland's make you a better bass player whereas Sadowsky's do the opposite[/b].

I guess nobody's forcing anybody to buy these, but the facts speak for themselves.[/quote]
That was awesome :)

I guess the obvious question would be if Lakland has all this "science" why did they only use it on one bass?

First things first, I hope everyone realised my last post was a wind up ! Although, it's not much different to a lot of the stuff I've read on here about why various products are better than others. Could it simply be that the bass has been photgraphed with the strings loosened, so aren't sitting straight against the board and have therefore been pulled on to the pickups as well?

[quote name='largo' post='1279595' date='Jun 23 2011, 01:25 PM']First things first, I hope everyone realised my last post was a wind up ! Although, it's not much different to a lot of the stuff I've read on here about why various products are better than others. Could it simply be that the bass has been photgraphed with the strings loosened, so aren't sitting straight against the board and have therefore been pulled on to the pickups as well?[/quote]
I didn't. I hear ridiculous stupid sh*t like that fairly often :)

[quote name='largo' post='1279595' date='Jun 23 2011, 01:25 PM']First things first, I hope everyone realised my last post was a wind up ! Although, it's not much different to a lot of the stuff I've read on here about why various products are better than others. Could it simply be that the bass has been photgraphed with the strings loosened, so aren't sitting straight against the board and have therefore been pulled on to the pickups as well?[/quote]

:) by any chance did you have a similar windup/drunken conversation about roasted peanuts which lead onto the benifits of roasting a bass or even... god forbid... the neck??? :)

[quote name='largo' post='1279595' date='Jun 23 2011, 05:25 AM']First things first, I hope everyone realised my last post was a wind up ![/quote]I missed it :) It's funny now.
[quote]Although, it's not much different to a lot of the stuff I've read on here about why various products are better than others. Could it simply be that the bass has been photgraphed with the strings loosened, so aren't sitting straight against the board and have therefore been pulled on to the pickups as well?[/quote]I thought of that as maybe a way to make the action look low and going too far. Or some other less deceptive reason I haven't thought of.