Why become a member? ×

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection. 5 String. **SOLD**

phsycoandy

I am the second owner, The serial number is 883390, Condition wise she is 9/10 considering her age, there is a small dink near the controls (see picture) other than that there are few marks here and there but nothing vaguely serious at all or through the finish, a few light surface swirls on the back.

2 band active EQ, pickup blend and Volume controls. High gloss Trans red finish showing some lovely detailed grain front & back

Plays really nice and easy and weighs barely 8lbs. Original Gotoh tuners and bridge.

Comes in Hard Case pictured, which has seen some life but is fully functional and all catches work fine, has some tears in the vinyl cover on the top. Strap locks fitted.

[b]£SOLD
[/b]
I'm taking a stab at it being a SB305 so if any Nanyo guys know better please advise.

Edited by phsycoandy

The 305 was passive, so this would be the next model up - the 415. The pickups (especially with the 'SGC' logo on the top edge) and bridge say late 80s-early 90s but the see through colour and the prominent grain is more reminiscent of the later 320 series. I seem to recall the red Bass Collections being a solid colour, but maybe the 405/415s were see through....

It's a georgeous example in any case. Good luck with the sale!

I've got a fretless SB320 in that finish and it looks beautiful. I've also got a 5 string Bass Collection but mine has the two jazz pickups on it. It's a 1991 model (the first 2 digits of the serial number are the year it was made). I believe my 5 string is an SB315 but it could be a 405/415 (mine's black). The 320 series has gold hardware and the others have black hardware. If you're brave then apparently removing the neck will reveal a stamp on the wood that tells you the model number. I've not tried this myself so can't confirm it. Either way, whether it's a 315 or a 405 or whatever, they're really nice basses.

Anyway, I can definitely vouch for the playability and sound that these basses have. I love them. Nice and light, really nice fast and very playable neck and very lightweight. I used to own a passive SB301 that I bought new in 1993 (£320 new I think). That one had the P/J pickups and I got a really nice range of sounds from it.

If I didn't have my two BCs already I'd certainly be talking to you about where to ship that one to, it looks a beauty! They play nicer than any of the Spectors I've tried, most of the Fenders I've tried and they're my preferred brand of bass (I've played quite a lot of basses recently trying to find one better but have failed. MM Sterlings, Sandbergs, etc. all fell short but some of that is my preference of course). I hope this one goes to a good home, it'll be loved I'm sure!

[quote name='Mornats' post='1272041' date='Jun 16 2011, 08:03 PM']I've got a fretless SB320 in that finish and it looks beautiful. I've also got a 5 string Bass Collection but mine has the two jazz pickups on it. It's a 1991 model (the first 2 digits of the serial number are the year it was made). I believe my 5 string is an SB315 but it could be a 405/415 (mine's black). The 320 series has gold hardware and the others have black hardware. If you're brave then apparently removing the neck will reveal a stamp on the wood that tells you the model number. I've not tried this myself so can't confirm it. Either way, whether it's a 315 or a 405 or whatever, they're really nice basses.

Anyway, I can definitely vouch for the playability and sound that these basses have. I love them. Nice and light, really nice fast and very playable neck and very lightweight. I used to own a passive SB301 that I bought new in 1993 (£320 new I think). That one had the P/J pickups and I got a really nice range of sounds from it.

If I didn't have my two BCs already I'd certainly be talking to you about where to ship that one to, it looks a beauty! They play nicer than any of the Spectors I've tried, most of the Fenders I've tried and they're my preferred brand of bass (I've played quite a lot of basses recently trying to find one better but have failed. MM Sterlings, Sandbergs, etc. all fell short but some of that is my preference of course). I hope this one goes to a good home, it'll be loved I'm sure![/quote]

Many thanks for your kind words. It's a very nice bass. I'm not sure i'm brave enough to take the neck off!

A quickie - I took the neck off mine when giving it a clean up and there were no clues to be had as to model number leaving just detective work to try to pin it down.

+1 for the build quality - I recently bought a Fender P-Bass Lyte and my SB-310 is better built and cost considerably less. In my limited experience these (and Westones) represent the best value basses you can buy.

Someone buy this soon, please, to stop me looking at it :)