Why become a member? ×

Warwick Basses - Harder to get in the UK now?

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='1373222' date='Sep 14 2011, 01:54 PM']Great stuff, hope the gig goes well and the Warwick is awsome. I'm sure it will be.[/quote]
Thanks mate. Well i had a quick play on it at the guy's house and it feels great, was surprised how light it is compared to my spector, and the neck feels amazing!

A 4-string P-Nut? :)
The P-Nuts get a huge lot of love on the Warwick forum, but I've always resisted the GAS because they had the wrong number of strings. Now it's not so easy.

Btw, according to the Warwick site, it is active, although with a 2-band MEC preamp where the proper P-Nut has a 3-band SD preamp. The Pups seem to be the same though.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1374913' date='Sep 15 2011, 09:50 PM']Linus that looks spectacular. I'd love a 5er, but not at the price! I love MM/J as a pickup configuration, it's invariably my favourite setup on the $$ tbh. Is that what streamer jazzmans have?[/quote]

Yes, the same pickup config on the Streamer Jazzman. Here is a picture of mine and it does sound awsome. I have been playing it all night and just loving the sound from it. So much that I might sell my MIA Jazz and get a fretted Streamer LX4 or maybe a fretted Streamer Jazzman.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1374942' date='Sep 15 2011, 10:10 PM']Yes, the same pickup config on the Streamer Jazzman. Here is a picture of mine and it does sound awsome. I have been playing it all night and just loving the sound from it. So much that I might sell my MIA Jazz and get a fretted Streamer LX4 or maybe a fretted Streamer Jazzman.[/quote]

I do like yours :)

What's the difference between an LX and a Stage 1?

If I ever bought a streamer it'd be a tossup between a Jazzman and a $$ methinks.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1375026' date='Sep 15 2011, 11:17 PM']LX is bolt-on and Stage I is neck-thru[/quote]

Which means different woods for the two necks. Is there any other difference in terms of wood for the body and pre-amps etc or are they exactly the same?

[quote name='Linus27' post='1375031' date='Sep 15 2011, 11:20 PM']Which means different woods for the two necks. Is there any other difference in terms of wood for the body and pre-amps etc or are they exactly the same?[/quote]
The old LX were Cherry wood bodies then later maple (as per SSI) and again the preamps and pups were pretty much identical on the earlier basses and I doubt the later ones have changed other than in line with the parallel ranges.

Like WH says, the LX is bolt-on, and the Stage 1 is neck-thru. In the current spec, the only other differences are that the LX has an ovangkol neck and a 2-band MEC preamp, whereas the Stage 1 has a maple neck and 3-band MEC preamp. The Pups and body woods are identical.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1375189' date='Sep 16 2011, 08:25 AM']On my SS1 the pickups are active, on my LX they're passive, though the SS1 is a fair bit older than the LX. They don't sound too dissimilar, however.[/quote]

I don't think I've ever understood active pickups properly. I've had many active basses, but AFAIK they all have passive pickups.

There's a third cable running to each pickup coming from the battery, both the pickup and the preamp need to be powered, like an EMG really - I think they had just moved to MEC from EMG as standard shortly before it was built. On the LX, just the preamp requires power.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1375536' date='Sep 16 2011, 01:01 PM']There's a third cable running to each pickup coming from the battery, both the pickup and the preamp need to be powered, like an EMG really - I think they had just moved to MEC from EMG as standard shortly before it was built. On the LX, just the preamp requires power.[/quote]

This much I think I knew :) What's the benefit or difference supposed to be? Why does a pickup need power, or if it has the battery power is the signal really 'hot'?

Apologies, read it incorrectly :)

I think the general gist is that you can run a much weaker pickup and then use an internal pre to boost the signal, meaning less noise, flatter response and greater clarity, less magnetic pull too. The output of the LX is greater but I'm sure there's a trim pot on the pre on both which can control the overall output.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1375614' date='Sep 16 2011, 03:00 PM']Apologies, read it incorrectly :)

I think the general gist is that you can run a much weaker pickup and then use an internal pre to boost the signal, meaning less noise, flatter response and greater clarity, less magnetic pull too. The output of the LX is greater but I'm sure there's a trim pot on the pre on both which can control the overall output.[/quote]

Awesome, thanks. So if you ran active pups on something like an all-graphite Status you'd be living the dream in terms of bass sound clarity?

For the price Warwicks are going for second hand I'd say look for a SS1, there is just something very special about them even compared to the LX, and the price really is right at the moment.

But I'd say live with the Jazzman for a while. There must've been something there to make you get the J, let the glow fade a little with the Streamer and make sure it's a long term thing you've got going on :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1267503' date='Jun 13 2011, 04:32 PM']Thanks guys, interesting, I wonder why Warwick are going down this route. I can't see the logic in it as they are pushing themselves out of the market.[/quote]
Judging by the other comments on here, the cause is fairly clear to me; arrogance and being totally out out of touch with not only their market but also their dealership network both of whom are providing them with constructive feedback. The company values what it makes more than the relationships it has with the people they rely on for support.

They've always tended to be arrogant in my experience, I had dreadful experiences back in 1997.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1375886' date='Sep 16 2011, 08:02 PM']For the price Warwicks are going for second hand I'd say look for a SS1, there is just something very special about them even compared to the LX, and the price really is right at the moment.

But I'd say live with the Jazzman for a while. There must've been something there to make you get the J, let the glow fade a little with the Streamer and make sure it's a long term thing you've got going on :)[/quote]

The problem with the SS1 is its neck through and I really do not like neck through despite being the better bass probably. LukeFRC has got an awsome SS1 that I have fallen in love with though :) The Jazz is just not being used as I have gone back to a Precision which has surprised me :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1375932' date='Sep 16 2011, 08:54 PM']The problem with the SS1 is its neck through and I really do not like neck through despite being the better bass probably. LukeFRC has got an awsome SS1 that I have fallen in love with though :) The Jazz is just not being used as I have gone back to a Precision which has surprised me :)[/quote]

unfortunately for you I've fallen in love with it again. :) played it on sunday and it was amazing- I think it's just been a learning curve with how to use the eq and preamp wisely. anyway- i've just thought of something someone else is selling might interest you..... ill PM