Why become a member? ×

Warwick Basses - Harder to get in the UK now?

Linus27

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1324694' date='Aug 2 2011, 07:02 PM']Well, it's not in the world of custom basses but it is for an 'off the rack' Warwick.[/quote]

Agreed, though mine is a custom Warwick and I've had it from new. Need someone to buy it though so I can fund the new one I have reserved (new to me, actually second hand), can't believe I've had no takers yet as I'm breaking my balls on the price, damn government/bankers/hippies.

I tried a RockBass corvette $$ at the weekend, which was my first Warwick experience...

Being honest, I don't really rate the body shape all that much but the finish (a lovely light natural wood) was beautiful.

And the neck! Wow. The finish on the back of the neck was really smooth---was ace. Even my non-bass playing wife said "ooh, that feels nice" :) :)

Does anyone know, do the current German Warwicks have the same necks as the Rockbass ones?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1325198' date='Aug 3 2011, 08:28 AM']I tried a RockBass corvette $$ at the weekend, which was my first Warwick experience...

Being honest, I don't really rate the body shape all that much but the finish (a lovely light natural wood) was beautiful.

And the neck! Wow. The finish on the back of the neck was really smooth---was ace. Even my non-bass playing wife said "ooh, that feels nice" :) :)

Does anyone know, do the current German Warwicks have the same necks as the Rockbass ones?[/quote]

I think the profile/construction may be different though I'm not sure. The materials are certainly different, the rockbass uses a maple neck with ekanga veneer and a rosewood fingerboard, whereas the german $$ uses an ovangkol neck and a wenge fingerboard. You can get warwick wax to maintain the smoothness and playability of the neck and fretboard, I'd be surprised if a decent shop didn't routinely apply that stuff to their warwicks, rockbasses or not.

As for the body shape, if it's aesthetics you're after, there are definitely prettier basses out there. Warwick do say the corvette shape is technically a 3/4 size body, and it is small next to many other basses. IME this helps reduce weight, and if you got the chance to play the thing standing up, I'd imagine you will have noticed how spot on the balance is.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1325365' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:39 AM']I think the profile/construction may be different though I'm not sure. The materials are certainly different, the rockbass uses a maple neck with ekanga veneer and a rosewood fingerboard, whereas the german $$ uses an ovangkol neck and a wenge fingerboard. You can get warwick wax to maintain the smoothness and playability of the neck and fretboard, I'd be surprised if a decent shop didn't routinely apply that stuff to their warwicks, rockbasses or not.

As for the body shape, if it's aesthetics you're after, there are definitely prettier basses out there. Warwick do say the corvette shape is technically a 3/4 size body, and it is small next to many other basses. IME this helps reduce weight, and if you got the chance to play the thing standing up, I'd imagine you will have noticed how spot on the balance is.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Its not so much that I'm "after aesthetics", its just that there are so many nice-playing AND nice-looking basses out there that I don't see the point in settling for one that only meets one of those two criteria :)

To be honest though, the only thing I don't like about the Corvette is that silly upper horn. Its too long and, to be blunt, looks like it belongs in an Ann Summers catalogue :) Shorten it and round it off (maybe make it more like an Ibanez) and the design would be amazing...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1325376' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:50 AM']Thanks for the info.

Its not so much that I'm "after aesthetics", its just that there are so many nice-playing AND nice-looking basses out there that I don't see the point in settling for one that only meets one of those two criteria :lol:

To be honest though, the only thing I don't like about the Corvette is that silly upper horn. Its too long and, to be blunt, looks like it belongs in an Ann Summers catalogue :) Shorten it and round it off (maybe make it more like an Ibanez) and the design would be amazing...[/quote]

Agreed. If I had to pick one thing I don't like about my Warwick it'd be the body shape. I think the overall looks are fairly good, but they don't excite me in quite the same way as a sparkly orange bongo or a modulus or a sandberg etc etc.

I can only assume the upper horn is the silly length it is for weight balance and playability issues (probably about the exact location you want the strap button). I've heard the same comment before about my upper horn :), so it's ok.

I'd get out there and try a german made model to learn the difference, if you can play the two side by side it'd be even better. If you think the new price difference is not worth it (I don't think it is anymore), then check out S/H german ones, as the prices are comparable to new RB models.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1325385' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:57 AM']I'd get out there and try a german made model to learn the difference, if you can play the two side by side it'd be even better. If you think the new price difference is not worth it (I don't think it is anymore), then check out S/H german ones, as the prices are comparable to new RB models.[/quote]

I'd like to try a German one at some point but since trying out the rockbass I've arranged to buy something else, so it'll have to wait a while :)

[quote name='dc2009' post='1325385' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:57 AM']I can only assume the upper horn is the silly length it is for weight balance and playability issues (probably about the exact location you want the strap button). I've heard the same comment before about my upper horn :), so it's ok.[/quote]

Know what you mean about the aesthetics - I love my Fortress, but that's [i]despite[/i] the looks, not because of them. Without wanting to descend into Carry On territory any more than we absolutely have to, if you think the Corvette's got a silly length upper horn, you should see my Fortress's. Fnaar. :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1325553' date='Aug 3 2011, 12:39 PM']Know what you mean about the aesthetics - I love my Fortress, but that's [i]despite[/i] the looks, not because of them. Without wanting to descend into Carry On territory any more than we absolutely have to, if you think the Corvette's got a silly length upper horn, you should see my Fortress's. Fnaar. :)[/quote]

plus the end on the fortress is extra-bulbous, lovely! :)

Warwick basses sound and play amazingly IMO, as a general rule, though they've never designed a properly pretty one with the exception of the birdseye maple bodied infinity 5, which is a fantastic looking thing.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' post='1325376' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:50 AM']To be honest though, the only thing I don't like about the Corvette is that silly upper horn. Its too long and, to be blunt, looks like it belongs in an Ann Summers catalogue :) Shorten it and round it off (maybe make it more like an Ibanez) and the design would be amazing...[/quote]

Having owned a couple of Corvettes I think they are one of the most wearable and comfortable body shapes around, but one or two times at gigs I realised I was standing between numbers absent-mindedly holding that upper horn in my right hand and that made me wish I'd brought the Jazz instead :)

ficelles

[quote name='dc2009' post='1325572' date='Aug 3 2011, 12:48 PM']plus the end on the fortress is extra-bulbous, lovely! :)

Warwick basses sound and play amazingly IMO, as a general rule, though they've never designed a properly pretty one with the exception of the birdseye maple bodied infinity 5, which is a fantastic looking thing.[/quote]

Do you not think the Streamer is pretty? I think its one of the prettiest basses ever made and what drew me to it.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1326493' date='Aug 4 2011, 09:03 AM']Do you not think the Streamer is pretty? I think its one of the prettiest basses ever made and what drew me to it.[/quote]

It's pretty, but not properly pretty, y'know, like the Infinity is. IMO some of the prettiest basses in existence are made by Herr Ritter, now that is a German with an eye for effortless design!

[quote name='Linus27' post='1326493' date='Aug 4 2011, 09:03 AM']Do you not think the Streamer is pretty? I think its one of the prettiest basses ever made and what drew me to it.[/quote]

They look good, but somehow Spector found a way to make that shape look just a little bit more elegant and appealing.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1327689' date='Aug 4 2011, 07:47 PM']They look good, but somehow Spector found a way to make that shape look just a little bit more elegant and appealing.[/quote]

Oooh now I think the opposite; the bodies of the USA and Euro Spectors that I have owned have been a bit like a Streamer that has eaten a pie or two! :)

There's something about the shape of the Streamer that I don't like. I can't *quite* put my finger on it. It feels a bit like when you're watching TV in the wrong aspect ratio---people look just slightly too tall, or slightly too short, or slightly out of proportion. Its just...nnnnggg.....not right! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1328577' date='Aug 5 2011, 12:20 PM']Of course if you keep your eyes peeled on ebay you can bag a mega bargain... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130555047654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_500wt_1156[/url][/quote]

ummmm what?

[quote name='dc2009' post='1328590' date='Aug 5 2011, 12:27 PM']ummmm what?[/quote]

A Streamer Stage II (yes the rare expensive one) just sold on ebay for £647... in fact the eventual winning bidder would have got it for £505 if it weren't for one other person bidding £627! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1328602' date='Aug 5 2011, 12:33 PM']A Streamer Stage II (yes the rare expensive one) just sold on ebay for £647... in fact the eventual winning bidder would have got it for £505 if it weren't for one other person bidding £627! :)[/quote]

My ummm what was in disbelief at the price.... :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1328577' date='Aug 5 2011, 12:20 PM']Of course if you keep your eyes peeled on ebay you can bag a mega bargain... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130555047654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_500wt_1156[/url][/quote]

If I had the cash I'd be buying one or two German Warwicks and keeping them under my bed. I suspect at some point they will become trendy again and the prices will increase.

Whilst we're on the topic of expensive basses---whats the holy grail when it comes to old, expensive basses? The bass equivalent of a 1959 Les Paul, say.