Why become a member? ×

NEW Jamiroquai Bass Book

Hi all,

I wanted to let you all know that 'The Jamiroquai Bass Book', which I have been working on for the last year will be available towards the end of June. The book covers the band's first two albums, Emergency on Planet Earth and The Return of the Space Cowboy and contains the following songs:

When You Gonna Learn
Too Young To Die
Hooked Up
If I like It, I Do It
Music of the Mind
Emergency on Planet Earth
Whatever it is, I Just Can't Stop
Blow Your Mind
Just Another Story
Stillness in Time
Light Years
Manifest Destiny
The Kids
Mr. Moon
Scam
Space Cowboy

All transcriptions are done, so I'm just down to final checking and arranging the printing. The book will be on sale through the Bassline Publishing site (you might have noticed our new banner ad that occasionally appears at the top left of the page) and will be priced £19.99. Each song also features detailed performance notes, and the book includes a biog of the band, and original bassist Stuart Zender. You can check out the cover art and some sample pages here: [url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/jamiroquai-bass-book.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/jamiroquai-bass-book.html[/url]

Best wishes,
Stuart

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='1245836' date='May 26 2011, 04:13 PM']No e-book unfortunately, copyright license doesn't allow for that!

Stuart[/quote]

I'm sure they are gonna have to look into that in the future, as I know people who are starting to use their Ipad's on gigs instead of paper.. I'm very tempted myself

Good luck on the book.. looks great

[quote name='algmusic' post='1245866' date='May 26 2011, 04:40 PM']I'm sure they are gonna have to look into that in the future, as I know people who are starting to use their Ipad's on gigs instead of paper.. I'm very tempted myself

Good luck on the book.. looks great[/quote]

Absolutely. The issue really is that digital books are pretty easy to copy between users, and given that most young kids want everything for free, I'd be very worried that my books would quickly end up on torrent sites. Once that happens, you're screwed as an author really. Obviously as we know, the same applies to music and films.

Stuart

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='1245909' date='May 26 2011, 05:10 PM']Absolutely. The issue really is that digital books are pretty easy to copy between users, and given that most young kids want everything for free, I'd be very worried that my books would quickly end up on torrent sites.[/quote]
I understand... but if people want to pirate your book then they will. It's pretty trivial to scan books, magazines, comics etc. these days - happens all the time and there's lots of software/stands etc. to help with the job.

Even the cameras on mobiles are good enough to take a picture of the pages, and from there you're a few clicks away from a PDF.

But your concerns are completely understandable - a lot of people are in the same boat. The question being asked is when do the digital sales offset the risk; distribution through Kindle/iBooks helps a bit if you can do that.

Anyway... I'll be buying it regardless and very much looking forward to the announcement saying we can all get our wallets out.

Hi Stuart - will it have the same spine as your John Entwistle book? The quality of the book and the transcriptions is top notch but it's impossible to lie the book flat for reading. I have to copy the part out onto manuscript paper or scan and print each page which is a real pain.

Maybe other people have mentioned it before but I find it's a real pain and puts me off buying other books - and the Jamiroquai one is one I'd definately buy.

Cheers,
Doug

[quote name='Eight' post='1246008' date='May 26 2011, 06:21 PM']I understand... but if people want to pirate your book then they will. It's pretty trivial to scan books, magazines, comics etc. these days - happens all the time and there's lots of software/stands etc. to help with the job.

Even the cameras on mobiles are good enough to take a picture of the pages, and from there you're a few clicks away from a PDF.

But your concerns are completely understandable - a lot of people are in the same boat. The question being asked is when do the digital sales offset the risk; distribution through Kindle/iBooks helps a bit if you can do that.

Anyway... I'll be buying it regardless and very much looking forward to the announcement saying we can all get our wallets out.[/quote]

I know it's easy enough to do - I actually have done this with many of my bass books, so that I can have them as PDF's and use them when teaching etc. It's the way things are headed for sure!

Stu

[quote name='crez5150' post='1246039' date='May 26 2011, 06:40 PM']Just so I know.... I there an issue if I buy the book and scan the pages to PDF for my iPad ?[/quote]

No-one can stop you doing that!

An in answer to Didle's question, yes it will have the spine. No-one has ever mentioned this being an issue before, although I see what you mean. I'll give it some thought.

Stuart

Stuart,
What about doing a ring binder spine like "Standing in the Shadows of Motown"?

Sightly off topic - was good to have a quick chat with you at the London Bass Guitar Show (wanted to buy a copy of the scales & modes book, but there were only couple there on the Manson's Stand - have finally put an order in for it, looking forward to getting it :) ).

Cheers,
louisthebass

[quote name='AndyBob09' post='1249365' date='May 29 2011, 04:25 PM']Hey Stuart,

I'm assuming that this will be TAB + dots?

Is there any way of of obtaining just dots if this is the case?

Cheers[/quote]

Hey,

Dot and TAB, yes. I'd rather not include the TAB, but if I didn't I wouldn't sell many...

No dots only version I'm afraid.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='1265852' date='Jun 12 2011, 11:21 AM']is it nearly ready yet, is it,,, is it stuart, is it nearly ready yet,, is it ?????????????????????????????????????????/[/quote]

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the interest in this book! Yes, it is indeed very nearly ready. It's finished and is currently with the printers. I am expecting a proof copy early next week and once that is approved, I will begin taking pre-orders - keep an eye on the site (or email newsletter if you subscribe) for updates.

I estimate that it should begin shipping the week after (20th June-ish).

It's been a fun book to transcribe and write, so I really hope you all like it!

Stuart

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='1266374' date='Jun 12 2011, 04:55 PM']Hi guys,

Thanks for all the interest in this book! Yes, it is indeed very nearly ready. It's finished and is currently with the printers. I am expecting a proof copy early next week and once that is approved, I will begin taking pre-orders - keep an eye on the site (or email newsletter if you subscribe) for updates.

Stuart[/quote]

ordered!!! cant wait for it to arrive and dig in

Is it ready for delivery this week if I order today?

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='1266374' date='Jun 12 2011, 05:55 PM']Hi guys,

Stuart[/quote]