Why become a member? ×

Agents

essexbasscat

Been a bit quiet on the Western Front gig wise lately and I'm wondering how to drum up some more gigs. A Saturday night at home is nice once in a while, but there's been a few more than usual lately.
The guitarist has an agent that gets us gigs and the diary wasn't too bad last year. But they havn't been coming through as much lately, so I've been thinking of getting another agent involved.

Only, I've never done that sort of thing before and wonder how everyone else goes about getting one. Also, is it a good idea to have two agents on the go at the same time ?

So I'd like to ask, how does everyone else go about getting an agent ?

Thanks in advance for all your contributions

T

Edited by essexbasscat

• 1 year later...

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1306057397' post='1240104']
Been a bit quiet on the Western Front gig wise lately and I'm wondering how to drum up some more gigs. A Saturday night at home is nice once in a while, but there's been a few more than usual lately.
The guitarist has an agent that gets us gigs and the diary wasn't too bad last year. But they havn't been coming through as much lately, so I've been thinking of getting another agent involved.

Only, I've never done that sort of thing before and wonder how everyone else goes about getting one. Also, is it a good idea to have two agents on the go at the same time ?

So I'd like to ask, how does everyone else go about getting an agent ?

Thanks in advance for all your contributions

T
[/quote]

wow - that fell on deaf ears :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1348595582' post='1815773']
What gigs are you trying to fill..?
[/quote]

a 5 piece jazz/ swing band

singer, upright bass , drums, guitar, keys and trumpet

playing standards and selected more recent stuff

aiming to play non-pub gigs

more upmarket gigs, maybe corporate and weddings, and high class hotels and restaurants

Edited by gareth

There are loads of agents, you have to get your promo pack together with photos, demos and videos together with rates, areas and what you can do. Send it around to all those that look like they deal with your sort of stuff. (Google is the place to start).

We going through this process to expand our field for the Motown band, the current agent doesn't work with too many wedding/corporate opportunities which would have the budget for the full band.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1348652193' post='1816364']
There are loads of agents, you have to get your promo pack together with photos, demos and videos together with rates, areas and what you can do. Send it around to all those that look like they deal with your sort of stuff. (Google is the place to start).

We going through this process to expand our field for the Motown band, the current agent doesn't work with too many wedding/corporate opportunities which would have the budget for the full band.
[/quote]

thanks

i can see that there are masses of agents, i wondered if anyone could recommend some good ones (ie that actually get you gigs)?

cheers

Of course, I understand that, but perhaps people won't want to water down their own opportunities and, in the end, you may have to suck and see. Certainly the big name agents will be the best for opportunities.

We use 'Actz' and they keep our Motown girls extremely busy, 2-4 a week, and so they work hard and get gigs but that's mostly with BTs, very few with the full band. If I find any in our search more useful for a band I'll pass them on.

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1348654519' post='1816411']
Of course, I understand that, but perhaps people won't want to water down their own opportunities and, in the end, you may have to suck and see. Certainly the big name agents will be the best for opportunities.

We use 'Actz' and they keep our Motown girls extremely busy, 2-4 a week, and so they work hard and get gigs but that's mostly with BTs, very few with the full band. If I find any in our search more useful for a band I'll pass them on.
[/quote]

thanks for that

We use Pro music Ltd, and a few others. But We've only ever had one agency gig in the last two years. We've quoted on plenty but I find having a decent website for the band that lands on page 1 of google searches and word of mouth has gotten us more gigs!

Just call them and chat to them. I use twitter and facebook to network with them too.