Why become a member? ×

I seem to be losing the bottom end when I slap!!

Gunsfreddy2003

Recently I find that when I move to my thumb for certain sections of our tunes I seem to lose all of the bottom end out of my sound and to my ears it sounds really empty.

My EBS Multi-Comp has a gain boost on it and I am trying that to solve the problem but without much success. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what can I use to cure the problem?

I find that a lot of perceived volume loss when it comes to switching to slap isn't due to the slap technique or effects, it could be down to your fingerstyle technique! The heavier your touch is fingerstyle, the more volume loss you perceive when you come to slap. I've found the best thing to do is to try and play a bit lighter when playing fingerstyle, and let the amp do most of the work volume-wise, so when you change to slap, if anything, there will be a boost!

Of course it could also be your EQ settings, but I find the above to be the case a lot of the time.

It sounds like, due to the technique creating larger spikes in your signal, it's getting compressed whenever you slap. Most compressors will lower the level of everything, even if it's only the highs that are peaking. If you are not using the multi-band setting, that might make a difference. Other thant hat, it could be either that you have too much compression on your EBS... OR it could be the built in limiter on the LMIII. I have noticed that when I play through my F1 head (with the older, harsher limiter) I have to turn down the compression in order to prevent any extreme 'squashing' of my sound.

Like I always say, I could be wrong :) but I hope that helps!

I used to get the same, it is a common problem which is why I now use a two channel amp LMK, so I can set up the right amount of mid cut and boost on bass and treble. I also have an EBS comp this should help keep things tight. Without all this set up to jump on, you are going to need time to tweak bass and amps I guess. And you will not know until you start playing whether it is the sound you want. So you do need to sound check the sound then have it ready when you need it. Mid flight is always going to be difficult.

Yeah you could be right - I think that I tend to have quite a heavy touch and that could be causing the problems but it is weird that I have only noticed it recently. I did change my outboard pre-amp from the Sadowsky to the Aguilar but surely that should not have made too much difference?

I should get my Rumour and Stingray back soon so it will be interesting to see whether I get the same using those guys as obviously there will no pre-amp in the chain then.

Like Deepbass5 says a two channel amp could really cure the problem but that would mean a new amp again and not sure that I really want to do that unless absolutely necessary. I am also in the process of moving to an In Ear Monitor system so that should also help with perceived volume and what I can actually hear when I play.

[quote name='Higgie' post='1239864' date='May 22 2011, 12:34 AM']I find that a lot of perceived volume loss when it comes to switching to slap isn't due to the slap technique or effects, it could be down to your fingerstyle technique! The heavier your touch is fingerstyle, the more volume loss you perceive when you come to slap. I've found the best thing to do is to try and play a bit lighter when playing fingerstyle, and let the amp do most of the work volume-wise, so when you change to slap, if anything, there will be a boost!

Of course it could also be your EQ settings, but I find the above to be the case a lot of the time.[/quote]

I have to use a boost for slap parts as i play quite heavily fingerstyle.
I have a little signal boost box made by Silentfly but most of the time i use the MXR M80 which has a switchable preamp with a 3 band eq.

Any decent boost/preamp/eq pedal should get the job done.

The MXR M80 looks a handy bit of kit but a little overkill for my needs I think. I used to have a Catalinbread Serrano Picosso which was a nice little boost but I sold it to Higgie when I bought the other pre-amps as I didn't think I needed it anymore - wrong!!

Will check out the Silentfly and Boss GEB7 and see if they would be worth buying, will also try the suggestion of trying to play lighter with the fingers but not sure if I can do that! Also got me thinking how Flea manages live as he has a really heavy finger style but I never noticed any drop out when he changed to the thumb?

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1240130' date='May 22 2011, 11:02 AM']I have to use a boost for slap parts as i play quite heavily fingerstyle.
I have a little signal boost box made by Silentfly but most of the time i use the MXR M80 which has a switchable preamp with a 3 band eq.

Any decent boost/preamp/eq pedal should get the job done.[/quote]

Yep, switching from finger style to slap can produced a more pronounced top end and less perceived bass - I usually just reach for the bass control on my instrument and notch it up a little bit for slap then back down for fingers. The same goes for my picking technique that has an attacking tone.

Yes - now feeling the problems with opting for the outboard pre-amp as with my jazz I have both pickups on full so no real option to adjust anything on the bass! With my Rumour for example I never have the bass boost on full so I can always increase as you suggest or flick the slap switch if needs be!!

Maybe a J-Retro might be a better idea here?

[quote name='dood' post='1241744' date='May 23 2011, 03:37 PM']Yep, switching from finger style to slap can produced a more pronounced top end and less perceived bass - I usually just reach for the bass control on my instrument and notch it up a little bit for slap then back down for fingers. The same goes for my picking technique that has an attacking tone.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1241138' date='May 23 2011, 07:27 AM']The MXR M80 looks a handy bit of kit but a little overkill for my needs I think. I used to have a Catalinbread Serrano Picosso which was a nice little boost but I sold it to Higgie when I bought the other pre-amps as I didn't think I needed it anymore - wrong!!

Will check out the Silentfly and Boss GEB7 and see if they would be worth buying, will also try the suggestion of trying to play lighter with the fingers but not sure if I can do that! Also got me thinking how Flea manages live as he has a really heavy finger style but I never noticed any drop out when he changed to the thumb?[/quote]

Flea uses an MXR Micro Amp to boost his signal for slapping. I could build you one if you like :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1241138' date='May 23 2011, 07:27 AM']The MXR M80 looks a handy bit of kit but a little overkill for my needs I think. I used to have a Catalinbread Serrano Picosso which was a nice little boost but I sold it to Higgie when I bought the other pre-amps as I didn't think I needed it anymore - wrong!!

Will check out the Silentfly and Boss GEB7 and see if they would be worth buying, will also try the suggestion of trying to play lighter with the fingers but not sure if I can do that! Also got me thinking how Flea manages live as he has a really heavy finger style but I never noticed any drop out when he changed to the thumb?[/quote]

The Silentfly one i have isn't the Blue Dragon on his site, totally different circuit - although atrangely it's still called Blue Dragon! Really well built though and the same size as the Catalinbread.
The MXR Micro Amp is also a good shout at about £60 new, the M80 comes in at around £80 used though and i know which i'd buy!

Maybe use a little compression? That's what i use on my practice rig to get a nice balanced slap sound.