Why become a member? ×

Virtual bass application with auto tabber

Fredde

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Good news for all you lefties out there!

[url="http://subsite.tilaa.eu/virtualbass/"]Version 0.7[/url] [b]now features a left-handed option[/b] for the virtual bass!

Be sure to notify all lefty bassists you know, I'm sure there's not too many apps out there that takes them into consideration :)

[quote name='Fredde' post='1236899' date='May 19 2011, 01:33 PM']There's not really much you can do to improve this, the problem lies within the limitations of html5 audio. It doesn't like playing the same sample many times at the same time. I already buffer all samples twice to help with this, but buffering more samples also makes the page slower to load.

But you're right, this is a bit of a problem, and I'll have to see what I can do. Maybe a set of really short samples, or optional triple buffering.

/Fredde[/quote]

Just a thought but there may well be a fairly easy fix for this.

Create duplicates of all samples. Then using a boolean you can pick which sample to play.

Example:

First note: E (boolean on E is 0 = play sample 1 of E and change boolean to 1)
Second note: E (boolean on E is 1 = play sample 2 of E and change boolean to 0)
Third note: F (boolean on F is 0 = play sample 1 of F and change boolean to 1)
Fourth note: E (boolean on E is still 0 = play sample 1 of E and change boolean to 1)

Two advantages I see to this method are that you can manage your repeating note problem a bit easier :) and that also you get a slight inconsistancy of sound if you don't simply copy and paste the samples.

[quote name='charic' post='1255218' date='Jun 3 2011, 01:27 PM']Just a thought but there may well be a fairly easy fix for this.

Create duplicates of all samples. Then using a boolean you can pick which sample to play.

Example:

First note: E (boolean on E is 0 = play sample 1 of E and change boolean to 1)
Second note: E (boolean on E is 1 = play sample 2 of E and change boolean to 0)
Third note: F (boolean on F is 0 = play sample 1 of F and change boolean to 1)
Fourth note: E (boolean on E is still 0 = play sample 1 of E and change boolean to 1)

Two advantages I see to this method are that you can manage your repeating note problem a bit easier :) and that also you get a slight inconsistancy of sound if you don't simply copy and paste the samples.[/quote]

This is exactly what I'm doing, if I understand you correctly, and this is what I meant by "I already buffer all samples twice". If you view the source, you can see that each sample is loaded once from the directory samples0/ and once from samples1/. When you play a note, a boolean is changed, and the next time you play, it plays the other sample.

The problem I tried to describe is that sometimes this is not always enough when you repeat the same note fast. I could change the code so that it loads all samples more than twice, but this will make the page slower to load/reload, which is also a problem.

Possible solutions:
1) I add an option where you can change how many times the samples are loaded (pretty easy to implement, not necessary easy to understand/use)
2) I make really short versions (like 0.25 sec) of the samples, that you can use if you have problems with playback. (a tiresome process, since I'd have to make new versions of all samples.)
3) I find a way to stop the playback of a sample when it's played again. This should be the obvious answer, but the JavaScript-methods for audio tags are very limited, and I haven't found a good way of doing this yet. (I have some ideas, but haven't had time to test them)

And yes, a slight inconsistency of sound might be a nice thing. However, recording inconsistent versions of the samples is not. Currently, the samples0 and samples1 directories are just symlinks to the same dir, which is very nice for the one recording the samples :) The best thing would of course be to record each note at each fret at each string separately, but this would mean buffering like 200 samples (with double buffering) on each reload...

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1255658' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:24 PM']Am I the only one who can't get it to play anything? I can create it OK, but when I press play the button dims briefly and then nothing. What am I doing wrong?[/quote]
[quote name='vmaxblues' post='1255740' date='Jun 3 2011, 07:46 PM']I dont know what I am doing wrong, it just plays the first note and stops?[/quote]
[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1255756' date='Jun 3 2011, 08:09 PM']won't play at work but impressed. Will try when i get home.[/quote]

Worryingly many reports of the same problem all of a sudden... Anyone else?

Please tell me which browser you use (brand and version) so I can try and repeat the problem and get it solved!

[quote name='skej21' post='1255666' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:30 PM']Don't want to be difficult, but would harmonics be a crazy difficult thing to add in?[/quote]

It might be difficult, yes. It depends on what you're after. Could you be a bit more specific on how you would like it to work? (I assume you're not after a virtual bass with harmonics only?)

But the top priority is getting the basics working, and my time is limited, so any extra features have to be either really easy to implement, or needed by many (like the lefty version, which fills both these criteria).

I'll be doing some recording for Fredde and this project the week after next, I'll happily do a harmonics add on once I sort my intonation to perfect levels. Though of course there is far much more tonal variety in a harmonic, a) which kind of harmonic do you want, and how soon do you want the finger lifted?

[quote name='Fredde' post='1255778' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:36 PM']Worryingly many reports of the same problem all of a sudden... Anyone else?

Please tell me which browser you use (brand and version) so I can try and repeat the problem and get it solved![/quote]

IE8 running in windows XP.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1255972' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:35 PM']IE8 running in windows XP.[/quote]
Then there's not much I can do to help you, sorry. IE 8 doesn't support the technique this app is based on. It works with IE 9, but IE 9 doesn't run on XP.

I recommend installing Google Chrome or Firefox 4, you might notice other sites look better and work faster as well! :)

[quote name='Fredde' post='1255778' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:36 PM']Worryingly many reports of the same problem all of a sudden... Anyone else?

Please tell me which browser you use (brand and version) so I can try and repeat the problem and get it solved![/quote]

Was XP at work but Firefox at home and its fantastic fun.
Thanks for that.

Simple and easy to use
what more can you ask for.

Cheers
Dave