Why become a member? ×

1979 Fender Precision

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1979-Fender-Precision-Bass-USA-original-/130521587075"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1979-Fender-Precisio...l-/130521587075[/url]

I'm assuming it's real. Looks nice, and it's my year of birth. If I wasn't trying to move house (with all the associated costs therein), I'd be having a look at that. Given that it's from round here, I'd imagine Howard the Bass Doc may have come across it at some point over the last 30 years?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1235322' date='May 18 2011, 10:17 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1979-Fender-Precision-Bass-USA-original-/130521587075"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1979-Fender-Precisio...l-/130521587075[/url]

I'm assuming it's real. Looks nice...[/quote]

I don't know enough about Fenders to comment on the authenticity, but the over-sized neck pocket and terrible neck angle certainly look like the Fenders I remember from 1979.

Could be the neck angle or the Badass ain't lined up right :) but the E string position on the neck looks bad from here :lol:

Edit: It's been around before - I don't know if it's the same seller or not :)

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1235403' date='May 18 2011, 11:07 AM']I don't know enough about Fenders to comment on the authenticity, but the over-sized neck pocket and terrible neck angle certainly look like the Fenders I remember from 1979.[/quote]

Ouch, you could get a £1 coin in between the neck and body on either side!

Otherwise a nice looking bass though.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1235424' date='May 18 2011, 11:17 AM']Edit: It's been around before - I don't know if it's the same seller or not :)[/quote]
It's not cropped up before on my saved search of "local basses".

Indeed, on closer inspection of the pictures the neck pocket looks like a bit of a Friday-afternoon job, with probably a badly-positioned Badass. Ho hum. There aren't many bass-players round here (out in the sticks) though, so I'm surprised I haven't seen it out and about in the area.

The Badass will be in exactly the same position that the Fender BBT bridge was since they use the same screw holes.

From what I saw of late 70s Fenders, they all appeared to have been made on Friday afternoon. One looking like the example in here would have been one of the better ones.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1235484' date='May 18 2011, 11:48 AM']From what I saw of late 70s Fenders, they all appeared to have been made on Friday afternoon. One looking like the example in here would have been one of the better ones.[/quote]

But all the great players use one & they've been on all those Motown records & they sound great no matter what music you play & Churchill used one to defeat the Hun & Elvis held one in one of his sh*t films & drone wheeze fart etc. etc. etc........
:)

[quote name='RhysP' post='1235828' date='May 18 2011, 03:20 PM']But all the great players use one & they've been on all those Motown records & they sound great no matter what music you play & Churchill used one to defeat the Hun & Elvis held one in one of his sh*t films & drone wheeze fart etc. etc. etc........
:)[/quote]
*Grin*

I helped out at my local musical instrument emporium during 1979, when they were in the process moving up from selling mainly home organs and Columbus and Grant Jap Crap to becoming Aria, Ibanez and Fender authorised dealers. I can remember the day that the Fenders arrive. I don't think I had every been so underwhelmed and disappointed. AFAICR not a single one of the instruments we received was in a suitable condition to go straight on display Most (especially the ones with the 3-bolt system) had necks even more askew than the example here - some to the point where the top string was no longer over the fingerboard at the top of the neck.

The only person in the shop who wasn't completely dismayed by this was the guitar tech who was employed on a freelance basis and was just looking at all the extra paid work he was going to have to do to get these instruments into a condition where they were fit to be sold.

By contrast the Aria Pro II and Ibanez guitars and basses that had arrived a couple of days earlier only needed the tuning checking before being hung up on display.

I briefly owned a Squier VMJ to which I fitted an ungrooved Badass II bridge. After I'd cut the grooves to line up the E and G strings equidistant from the edge of the fingerboard along the length of the neck the string path over the bridge was only very very slightly angled.

Looking at the photos again paying attention to the positioning of the strings relative to the pickup pole pieces, I'd say the problem appears to be a combination of the neck being on at an angle and the bridge being incorrectly positioned.

I've owned a couple of Precisions from this period, and none have been from 1979! the last one had a serial# earlier than this and had 1981 pots and pups.."stock" unfootered with in the late Eighties!
I know some good instruments came from the Seventies, but I haven't seen any yet compared to the quality of the earlier basses and the fact that people are now asking 2K plus for cricket bats with strings amazes me!
Early Tokai basses are much closer to the mark as far as playability goes.

I love also where he says "I think its a one piece body, I can't see any joins", then there's the second-to-last picture of the jack input where there's a BLATENT join lol. It's gonna be a three piece at the very least!

Si

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1235446' date='May 18 2011, 11:26 AM']Ouch, you could get a £1 coin in between the neck and body on either side!

Otherwise a nice looking bass though.[/quote]

Crumbs - I thought that my "plectrum holder" gap on one side was bad! Still, I'd never get rid of it - QC aside, my 'Friday aftrernoon job' plays beautifully and sounds great.