Why become a member? ×

Refinishing a bass body.. how much

bubinga5

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1237059' date='May 19 2011, 04:25 PM']Except my way - using a poweful hairdryer and a paint scraper. Takes off the outer poly on a Fender and most of the sealer too[/quote]

I burned my fingers.... :)

Went back to sandpaper. Got the nasty veneer off my P-bass with a heat gun and a chisel, it has dents in it the size of meteor craters now (yep, should have used something less chiselly).

Latest project will be nitromors followed by heat and scraper. NOT CHISEL...

[quote name='lobematt' post='1237085' date='May 19 2011, 04:45 PM']... Anyone got any before and after pics of refins they've done?[/quote]

Before:

during:

and after:

and several more [url="http://forum.warwick.de/17-rockbass/13065-great-rockbass-renovation-project.html"]here[/url]

[quote name='mart' post='1237094' date='May 19 2011, 04:53 PM']and after:

and several more [url="http://forum.warwick.de/17-rockbass/13065-great-rockbass-renovation-project.html"]here[/url][/quote]

Nice! Reminds me of my favourite Thumb (which I can't insert the pic of but trust me it looks the same haha)

Did you take the original gloss finish off or just primer straight over? Because if that was an option then it would save a lot of sanding!! :)

[quote name='mart' post='1237094' date='May 19 2011, 04:53 PM']Before:

during:

and after:

and several more [url="http://forum.warwick.de/17-rockbass/13065-great-rockbass-renovation-project.html"]here[/url][/quote]
WOW.. Mart that looks amazing...

Aw, thanks guys! Up close you can see the flaws in the paintwork more - the photos are not as revealing as they could be.

I did sand down the gloss, but just enough to rough it up - I didn't take it all off, and I didn't spend that long sanding.

The "during" photo is after just one layer of primer. That's why it looks a bit matt, and why the headstock still shows where I sanded off the hideous RockBass logo. The final finish is gloss.

My S2 has a tiny ding in the side of the body caused by its previous owner. It absolutely kills me every time i look at it, I could probably live with it if it was me who had caused the damage.

The ding is about the size of a small finger nail not massive then you might say but it really gets me down.

I have had a quote from Rob Green at Status and he is going to refinish it for me very soon and since my S2 is a custom colour he said to expect a bill of around £450

I bought my S2 from Bass Direct over the phone there was a picture detailing the damage on there website however it was quite unclear and when I asked them about it the damage was played down, so I bought it.

Next time i will make sure I go and have a good F*****g look first

I dont know perhaps Im just to fussy

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1234463' date='May 17 2011, 03:51 PM']Just curious how much it might cost to refinish a bass body in another colour? roughly? does it depend on the finish etc.. would be a flat colour i wanted..

any ideas[/quote]

You are looking at £350 for solid colours and anything up to £400 for sunburst or metallic which require mutliple layers and multiple oven dry stages. (these quotes are from your average spray shop / repair workshop) and these quotes are for professional work, as anyone else said you can bodge it with a few cans of Halford's best but unless you can sand, prime, seal and spray evenly with skill, it's going to look like a chav's car painted with spray cans.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1235659' date='May 18 2011, 01:26 PM']£249...???? :) :)[/quote]

I doubt that includes stripping down to wood and putting on a base to build on. If you change the colour, you'll probably need to do this.
But then there is a reason why they can finish like they do.

I'd have no trouble using them.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1239052' date='May 21 2011, 10:10 AM']You are looking at £350 for solid colours and anything up to £400 for sunburst or metallic which require mutliple layers and multiple oven dry stages. (these quotes are from your average spray shop / repair workshop) and these quotes are for professional work, as anyone else said you can bodge it with a few cans of Halford's best but unless you can sand, prime, seal and spray evenly with skill, it's going to look like a chav's car painted with spray cans.[/quote]

:) I'm sure that one will stay with me for a while. Where's Pete A ?

[quote name='lobematt' post='1237085' date='May 19 2011, 04:45 PM']Anyone got any before and after pics of refins they've done?[/quote]

I can't take the credit for this (apart from doing the boring bits of removing old finish) - this is Ou7shined's (Rich) work:

Before:

During:

After:

You can see the whole story here if you haven't seen it already: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93207"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93207[/url]

Rich did an amazing job, a high quality finish way beyond anything I could achieve. The metallic finish is wonderfully subtle - exactly as I requested (I didn't want a showy, glittery bass) and all for a (what I consider to be) a very reasonable price.