Why become a member? ×

poweramp impedence question

UNITY GAIN

Hey Guys

I have a peavey dpc 1000 power amp. I want to use it combined with a mixer to use as a PA amp. My band has a private party coming up and I need to get this thing setup so we can use it for that party.

I have a pdf of the manual but I just want to be sure I understand the power amp's impedence specs so I dont fry anything.

As far as I understand it is saying I can run two 4 ohm loads with the peavey dpc 1000. One 4 ohm load for channel/amp "A" and one 4 ohm load for channel/amp "B".
This would mean I could use two 8 ohm monitors for each side or each channel/amp. Correct?

Here's a pic of the spec sheet:

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1225104' date='May 9 2011, 02:07 PM']It does seem a little strange that Bridge mode is 8 ohms & not 2 ohms.[/quote]
Not really - bridge mode is the two power amp sections working out of phase and driving each side of the speaker, so you need two of the minimum per-channel load in series. Just imagine each side driving a 4-ohm load, then take away the ground connection from the speakers.

I may have to draw a diagram, I'm not explaining this terribly well... :)

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

One more quick question if I may...

On the poweramp there is only one input per channel. My mixer has both a Left and Right output. Do I have to use both the left AND right outputs to get stereo? Or if I use just one of them is that mono? I assume to use both the right and left output I'd have to use a "Y" cable or something so that I could integrate both the Left and Right output into the poweramp's single input. Correct?

Thanks again for the help.

[quote name='UNITY GAIN' post='1227027' date='May 11 2011, 04:32 AM']On the poweramp there is only one input per channel. My mixer has both a Left and Right output. Do I have to use both the left AND right outputs to get stereo?

Or if I use just one of them is that mono? I assume to use both the right and left output I'd have to use a "Y" cable or something so that I could integrate both the Left and Right output into the poweramp's single input. Correct?

Thanks again for the help.[/quote]

If you want stereo then yes, you need to use both outputs from the mixer - L to one power amp channel and R to the other.

If you combine the L and R mixer outputs with a Y cable (not a good idea from the point of view of impedance) then you're back to mono.

So is your average bar band PA system mono then?

As far as I can tell what is being said is that if I use channel/amp A for the audience speakers and channel/amp B for monitors for the band the whole thing will be mono, right?

Edited by UNITY GAIN

[quote name='UNITY GAIN' post='1227027' date='May 11 2011, 04:32 AM']... My mixer has both a Left and Right output....[/quote]
Good evening, UNITY GAIN...
If you are using one channel for the audience, and the other for your monitors, then each will be mono (no big deal...).
Is there an 'Aux Send' on the mixer (I would assume so...)? Thats what you'd want for adjusting you monitors, using the 'Aux' pot on each mixer channel as required. If this is the case, then use only the 'Left' mixer output for the audience, and 'pan' all of the mixer channels to 'Left'. No Y-cable needed then. The 'Aux' output from the mixer would be mono anyway, so no Y-cable there either.
Hope this helps...

[quote name='UNITY GAIN' post='1228311' date='May 12 2011, 12:51 AM']So is your average bar band PA system mono then?

As far as I can tell what is being said is that if I use channel/amp A for the audience speakers and channel/amp B for monitors for the band the whole thing will be mono, right?[/quote]
Some are, some aren't. If using A for audience & B for monitors then it's an obvious choice to have everything panned either centre or towards A.
If my band are using monitors then it's either a small 2nd pa system (a small power amp & 2 10" tops) or an active wedge that's hooked up to the main desk (it's only a 16 ch Yamaha mixer, nothing big).
We usually pan the drums around a bit & have a little spread on the rest of the band (no, not primula!).