Why become a member? ×

Barefaced bass cabs

thebassman

Hi guys
I have been looking a getting a new bass cab recently.
I have a Mesa M6 Carbine so 600 watts @ ohms. I currently have it as part of the 2x12 M6 combo, but i am thinking about taking it out and using with a separate cab. It's a fantastic combo, just a bit heavy for a 1 man lift.

Has any tried, seen or maybe actually own one of these.
I am looking for user experiences or opinions.

Cheers

thebassman

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/super-twelve.htm"]Super Twelve T[/url]

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/big-one.htm"]Big Twin[/url]

I'd like to hear some comparisons of the two as well actually. I think someone on BC has the Super Twelve T but I've not seen either a 'Big One T' or 'Big Twin T' at all. Are there actually any out in the wild yet?

[quote name='dood' post='1223215' date='May 7 2011, 02:11 PM']I'd like to hear some comparisons of the two as well actually. I think someone on BC has the Super Twelve T but I've not seen either a 'Big One T' or 'Big Twin T' at all. Are there actually any out in the wild yet?[/quote]
I'm not sure, i think the big one has been discontinued though.

[quote name='thebassman' post='1223255' date='May 7 2011, 02:35 PM']I'm not sure, i think the big one has been discontinued though.[/quote]

Yep, it has unfortunately - I think the 2x12 eminence drivers 'out performed' the single 15.

Hi,

I've got a S12T - what do you want to know?

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='thebassman' post='1223002' date='May 7 2011, 11:25 AM']Hi guys
I have been looking a getting a new bass cab recently.
I have a Mesa M6 Carbine so 600 watts @ ohms. I currently have it as part of the 2x12 M6 combo, but i am thinking about taking it out and using with a separate cab. It's a fantastic combo, just a bit heavy for a 1 man lift.

Has any tried, seen or maybe actually own one of these.
I am looking for user experiences or opinions.

Cheers

thebassman

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/super-twelve.htm"]Super Twelve T[/url]

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/big-one.htm"]Big Twin[/url][/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='1223896' date='May 8 2011, 08:48 AM']Hi,

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Mark graciously allowed me a go on his S12T a couple of weeks ago because I've been looking at revising my rig.

SERIOUS cab. Sounds massive, it's crisp, punchy and in such a small footprint to boot.

It's convinced me....

T

I thought it went quite nicely with your EBS 350 as well :-)

[quote name='tonyf' post='1223909' date='May 8 2011, 09:20 AM']Mark graciously allowed me a go on his S12T a couple of weeks ago because I've been looking at revising my rig.

SERIOUS cab. Sounds massive, it's crisp, punchy and in such a small footprint to boot.

It's convinced me....

T[/quote]

I can only give praise about my super12T.

The sound is huge, sounds perfect for me, I don't even put any EQ on my amp head and barely any on my basses.
I found the size a little cumbersome compared to the midget (buts that's tiny) however it's the biggest cab I've owned and at 19kg even I find it easy to lift, it's not wheels on the back for easy moving which is good. I can still get it on a bus and have my huge sound with me.

[quote name='markstuk' post='1223896' date='May 8 2011, 08:48 AM']Hi,

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Not sure really.
I have been looking at the Super 12T for quite a while, but just noticed the Big Twin... so i have been trying to find out if, or how, much better it is.

I am just a bit nervous of using my M6 out of it's 2x12 combo. The sound of the Mesa is huge, very full range sounding cab. But it is very big and very heavy and i often have to lift it out of the car and up some steps into my house on my own. This is not good, it is really too big and heavy for a one man lift.

cheers

thebassman

Why not drop Alex a line at Barefaced cabs..? He's a sensible chap... Contact form on his website..

[quote name='thebassman' post='1224016' date='May 8 2011, 12:03 PM']Not sure really.
I have been looking at the Super 12T for quite a while, but just noticed the Big Twin... so i have been trying to find out if, or how, much better it is.

I am just a bit nervous of using my M6 out of it's 2x12 combo. The sound of the Mesa is huge, very full range sounding cab. But it is very big and very heavy and i often have to lift it out of the car and up some steps into my house on my own. This is not good, it is really too big and heavy for a one man lift.

cheers

thebassman[/quote]

[b]Super Twelve T[/b] - a brilliant compromise in power handling, sensitivity, bass output, size and weight. All cabs are a compromise, but this one does it better than any other I've heard so far. You get a cab that adds little of itself to the sound - it just lets the amp sound as it should, with a hint of warmth in character. It uses two 12" HO (high output) Eminence drivers, and is pretty efficient compared with most. The treble unit is very smooth sounding - no harshness or grit, unless that's what you feed it. Big sound with clarity but not sterile.

[b]Big Twin[/b] - this uses two of the special low frequency LF 12" Eminence drivers. These extend lower than the 12" HO version, but are less efficient, so you need more power from the amp to get the same sound pressure level. The treble driver is a midrange cone based device rather than the bullet style tweeter of the Super Twelve, and whilst it extends the frequency range upward more than adequately for bass, won't go as high as the tweeter in the Super Twelve. This won't matter one jot for most.

Having tried a Big One before the Super Twelve, the cone midrange driver is very smooth also, and I wouldn't really miss the extra extreme top of the bullet tweeter if I had to go back. The Big Twin should go lower than the Big One - and that went more than low enough. Bonkers low bass solidity and performance. You will need a particularly beefy amp though. The M6 would suit the Super Twelve better in this regard I think. The Big one had a voracious capacity to absorb watts, and the Big Twin will still have some of this tendency, despite being more efficient than the Big One. If it was me, I'd probably go for the Super Twelve, but as always, the best bet* is to contact Alex at Barefaced and get his opinion first hand.

* As markstuk says, it's the only bet. Get in touch via the Barefaced website and get some first class advice.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

I chose the S12T because it seemed to offer the best compromise between size, range and efficiency... The S12T is 4db more efficient than the Big Twin according to the spec sheet, but I suspect the big twin offers some serious low end oommph if you've got the watts to drive it.. I'm still bemused at how much air my S12 can move, so god knows what the big twin is like..

[quote name='markstuk' post='1224079' date='May 8 2011, 01:07 PM']Why not drop Alex a line at Barefaced cabs..? He's a sensible chap... Contact form on his website..[/quote]
I have emailed Alex, so I will let you know what advice he has.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1224094' date='May 8 2011, 01:26 PM']The Big one had a voracious capacity to absorb watts[/quote]

Mine certainly likes feeding plenty of Watts, 500 @ 8 Ohms is adequate, more would be nice. Great tone, best speaker I have ever owned.

If you are into DIY have a look at fEARful designs.

[quote name='thebassman' post='1224743' date='May 9 2011, 07:28 AM']I have emailed Alex, so I will let you know what advice he has.[/quote]

Well for my current Amp, the Mesa M6, Alex recommends the S12T.

He says it should reproduce my existing Mesa cab tones/clarity, but will have a higher SPL and also in a lighter package. Sounds perfect to me.

He also mentioned about their 28 day trial and return period, sounds great just in case it doesn't live up to my expecations.

All i have to do now is decide what to do with my existing Mesa cab.

[quote name='thebassman' post='1225624' date='May 9 2011, 09:58 PM']Well for my current Amp, the Mesa M6, Alex recommends the S12T.

He says it should reproduce my existing Mesa cab tones/clarity, but will have a higher SPL and also in a lighter package. Sounds perfect to me.

He also mentioned about their 28 day trial and return period, sounds great just in case it doesn't live up to my expecations.

All i have to do now is decide what to do with my existing Mesa cab.[/quote]

Bit of a long shot, but has anyone used the S12T with a Fender bassman 135, or another old valve head?
Just wondering how it might sound.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='1226559' date='May 10 2011, 06:34 PM']....Bit of a long shot, but has anyone used the S12T with a Fender bassman 135, or another old valve head? Just wondering how it might sound....[/quote]
While you're waiting for a reply you could call Alex.