Why become a member? ×

AMPEG PF 500

DieselCowboy

Hi , newbie here, sold my Ampeg BR2E and HF 4x10 a while ago and now need a reliable smaller rig.
I have got my eye on the new Ampeg Portaflex 500 and either the 1x15 or 2x10 , just wondered if anyone has tried them out yet.?
Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Denny

[quote name='DieselCowboy' date='May 5 2011, 03:23 PM' post='1221167']
Hi , newbie here, sold my Ampeg BR2E and HF 4x10 a while ago and now need a reliable smaller rig.
I have got my eye on the new Ampeg Portaflex 500 and either the 1x15 or 2x10 , just wondered if anyone has tried them out yet.?
Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Denny

Okay folks, no feedback but hey I tried it and bought it . Very good sound with the 1X15 , awesome , tried it with a 2X10 on top of the 1X15 and absolutely champion . So now saving up to buy the 2X10 and hey presto a nice compact great sounding portable rig.

I think in my opinion Ampeg have got it right this time, average price for quality gear, light and seeeeeexy lookin'.

Anyone local near Cullercoats T & W welcome to try, just pm me .

Cheers the Noo
Denny

Here are two youtube reviews of the PF-500 and PF-350. They sound great and the price makes them even more attractive.

Ampeg Portaflex PF-350 bass head £269
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ampeg-Portaflex-PF-350-Bass-Head~ID~14719.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...ad~ID~14719.asp[/url]

Ampeg Portaflex PF-500 bass head £346
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ampeg-Portaflex-PF-500-Bass-Head~ID~14720.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...ad~ID~14720.asp[/url]

There are some great sound samples on this thread, over on Talkbass:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-pf500-pf350-722043/index20.html"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-pf...43/index20.html[/url]

Think this has made up my mind, they sound awesome. Some of the posts state that the fans seem a bit noisy, but am gonna take the chance. If it really is too bad I`ll send it back. Once I`ve got it, and have used it at a practice, I`ll post a review.

Ok, so went to Andertons today, tried one out, listened to abt two to three bars of me playing a Precision through it, decided straight away to get it. It was hooked up to one of the PF 115HE cabs, and man, did it sound sweet.

Anyway, got it home, hooked up to my cab, and am really pleased with it. Re the fan - yes, you can hear it whirring away, but as soon as I start playing, or start up a song on Youtube through my PC speakers (at home practice level) you can`t hear it any longer. Fuss abt nothing, imv.

As said, I`ve got a couple of band practices this week, so I`ll post a review, but at the moment, I`ve got 500 watts of Ampeggy Bassiness, for under £350 (Andertons very nicely agreed to price-match for me).

The scores so far:

:) :) :lol: :D :P

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1231164' date='May 14 2011, 05:59 PM']Ok, so went to Andertons today, tried one out, listened to abt two to three bars of me playing a Precision through it, decided straight away to get it. It was hooked up to one of the PF 115HE cabs, and man, did it sound sweet.

Anyway, got it home, hooked up to my cab, and am really pleased with it. Re the fan - yes, you can hear it whirring away, but as soon as I start playing, or start up a song on Youtube through my PC speakers (at home practice level) you can`t hear it any longer. Fuss abt nothing, imv.

As said, I`ve got a couple of band practices this week, so I`ll post a review, but at the moment, I`ve got 500 watts of Ampeggy Bassiness, for under £350 (Andertons very nicely agreed to price-match for me).

The scores so far:

:) :) :lol: :D :P[/quote]

Lozz thats great news buddy. I really fancy the 2x10 and head rig. I wish the cabs were 4 ohms though so that you get the full whack out the rig as it is.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1233896' date='May 17 2011, 07:19 AM']Just posted my review, link below, but in summary, its great, buy one!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136339"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136339[/url][/quote]

How do you compare it with the TC 450 you're selling?

In comparison to the TC - hmmm, difficult one that.

First & foremost, Ampeg is the god of bass amps to me, so I have a natural bias. In terms of performance, both seem to have the same amount of power on hand - with the TC maybe edging it here. With the same band, TC - Gain 5, Vol 3. Ampeg - Gain 7, Vol 3. Not sure how linear the volume controls on each are though - and wouldn`t want to try either on max volume unless in the O2!

In terms of sound, well with the Tubetone up I can get a very good Ampeggy sound from the TC, but also, with the Tubetone down, some very good clean modern hi-fi sounds. Push the Specracomp up, some very good slap-bass tones. Whereas with the Ampeg - only having had it since Sat, I`ve only used it as a traditional Ampeg rock amp, so not sure how it would fare in the TCs more natural environment. The compressor on the Ampeg works nicely though, it really adds some "squash" to the notes, but retains the trad Ampeg sound throughout.

Thanks

I'm really thinking about buying one of these to replace my SVT-350. Not any special reason, I like the SVT but I'm not getting younger and the SVT is not easy to carry to gigs. A 5Kgs amplifier sounds much better... :) but I'm really concerned about the sound quality from the PF-500 once I have no chance to try before buy it.

Well I had an SVT 3-PRO for a while, great sounding amp, and have to say that when I heard the PF-500 for the first time, I was in no way disappointed, in comparison.

Know what you mean abt the weight issue tho - thats why I got the TC Classic in the first place, but as soon as I saw details of the PF-500, I knew I`d get one - unless I didn`t like the sound of course.

Talkbass has some great threads on the PF-500, may be worth a look, but, coming from someone who loves Ampeg sounds, I`m really pleased with it.

Hey Lozz. Would you mind if I asked you about the EQ settings on the Portaflex amps? If any the shops near me have them-if their websites are up to date-have them in, I'm tempted to try out & purchase @ the very least the PF350 model. It'd be a back up for my Hartke LH500, so I was wondering what it's flat setting and mid range boost settings are like.

Ta for any advice you can offer in advance!

The flat settings on the PF-500 are still a little "scooped" sounding, so in keeping with the Ampeg sound, however not over-powering on the bottom end. The mids has a frequency selector. You can choose from either 220 hz, 450 hz, 800 hz, 1.6 khz, 3 khz, and then cut or boost, so plenty of adjustment is possible. The PF-350 is different in that it just has a regular Mid control, no frequency selector. From what I`ve read about the Hartke LH500, the mids seem a little scooped, so am sure either of the PF range will be good for a backup to it.

Just been to P.M.T. in Manchester, tried out and BOUGHT a PF-350. Played it through one of the Portaflex cabs, 2 Portaflex cas, an Orange SP212 and an Ampeg B410. Great looking and LOUD amp. Lightweight but certainly more strudy than Ashdown's Little Giant. (Lighter than the old Ampeg PB250 head too.) I'm going to use it with my cabs tonight. I'll keep whoever's interested posted!

[quote name='indiegrungesound' post='1238328' date='May 20 2011, 04:05 PM']Just been to P.M.T. in Manchester, tried out and BOUGHT a PF-350.[/quote]

The exact reason why haven't wandered down to Soundslive to try the PF-500 they have in stock :)

Keep us posted with reports of performance in the real world!

[quote name='JPJ' post='1238378' date='May 20 2011, 04:38 PM']The exact reason why haven't wandered down to Soundslive to try the PF-500 they have in stock :)

Keep us posted with reports of performance in the real world![/quote]
Well, I had the PF-350 hooked it with my Warwick Neo Pro 12"s last night, in both 1 x 12" & 2 x 12" configurations. I played both my Yamaha BB614 & my Steinberger Spirit basses through it

With the the PF-350 running the 1 x 12" set up, I now have a fantastic home practice rig. Could probably do very well as a studio recording amp as well. Spent most of the evening playing along to tunes by Best Coast, QOTSA, Cee Lo Green, The Chapman Family & Joy Division; so it'll do the job for Pop & Rock of varying shades quite nicely.

As part of a 2 x 12" stack, I'd currently have no problem taking this as a back up option with a band, but I need to get this in a rehearsal room to really test this out.

One thing I will note is that the amp takes more easily to Passive basses than Active ones. With my Yamaha plugged in with the -15db Pad button engaged, you need to do more tweaking with the EQ on the bass and/or the amp. With the Pad button off and the Yamaha plugged in, the output volume jumps up VERY HIGH!

So far then, I'm still very pleased with the amp. It's less than £300, sound good, is lightweight AND strudy and looks REALLY cool! I'll keep you informed about he deals with rehearsal & gigging situations soon as.

Hi again , just did my first live gig with my AMPEG PF500 and PF115HE cab at the Assembly Rooms in Newcastle upon Tyne ( Gods City ) and MAN it was good. We do 50's 60's Rock n Roll, Blues and Motown. The whole band were complimenting me on my sound, had a few kind words from players in the audience. So needless to say I am fair chuffed wi ma gear guys and galls.

Glad you like it Lozz , I can't wait till I buy the 2x10 to link up with the 1x15, MAN blow me b*****ks off for sure.

I am using my Musicman Stingray 5 string through it and loving it. I would recommend it to any one who wants to be comfortable and confident on stage with your sound.

I have played bass for over 35 years, was pro for 12 years. Have used Ampeg SVT 7Pro head with an Ampeg 8X10. Down-sized for an Ashdown ABM 500 4x10 combo for a wee while but missed the Ampeg sound and went for the BR2E head and the 4x10 HE cab, sold it to a very happy bass player called Roger from Raisin Cain.

Now a very happy bass player myself with cracking gear and enjoying being back in a band again, watch out for the Liz Monroe Band, come along and have a listen, be good to meet ya all.

Happy Den

As promised, here's an update with how the PF-350'S been holding up.

Auditioned a drummer last week. My rig was one of my Warwick 12"s, the Ampeg & my Yamaha BB614.

The amp held up pretty well. Again, can be a bit quiet with active basses, but with the volume @ 4, the gain @ 6 & the mids boosted on my bass's EQ, I had a nice workable sound for the duration of the audition. Now that I've hired the drummer, I'll no doubt have fun messing with the EQ on the amp to get the best performance out of it for some time.

I have to say to say two things though. Firstly, I'm tempted to trade in the Yamaha for a Squier Vintage Modern P-Bass or Jazz, largely because the amp sounds so much better with passive basses. Secondly, on the strength of the PF-350's size AND tone(I could happily jam away all day THINKING I'm Nate Mendel with this thing! <:-) ;-)), I'm tempted to part-ex my Hartke LH500 for the PF-500!

Any thoughts folks?

[quote name='indiegrungesound' post='1251727' date='May 31 2011, 04:25 PM']As promised, here's an update with how the PF-350'S been holding up.

Auditioned a drummer last week. My rig was one of my Warwick 12"s, the Ampeg & my Yamaha BB614.

The amp held up pretty well. Again, can be a bit quiet with active basses, but with the volume @ 4, the gain @ 6 & the mids boosted on my bass's EQ, I had a nice workable sound for the duration of the audition. Now that I've hired the drummer, I'll no doubt have fun messing with the EQ on the amp to get the best performance out of it for some time.

I have to say to say two things though. Firstly, I'm tempted to trade in the Yamaha for a Squier Vintage Modern P-Bass or Jazz, largely because the amp sounds so much better with passive basses. Secondly, on the strength of the PF-350's size AND tone(I could happily jam away all day THINKING I'm Nate Mendel with this thing! <:-) ;-)), I'm tempted to part-ex my Hartke LH500 for the PF-500!

Any thoughts folks?[/quote]

You know you don't have to use the pad when using an active bass right? If it's cutting the output so much on an active bass then the output of your active bass might not be hot enough to warrant padding it.

Give it a whirl and report back! :)