Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror - output very hot

Bassmonkey

I bought the OBT in December. It seemed fine for the first couple of gigs then suddenly was distorting like crazy when DI'd to the PA via the built in output. I took it back to the dealer who tried and found the same problem (essentially the output was way too high). The amp went back to Orange and returned much better.

After Saturday night though, it looks like it may be happening again meaning I could only add a tiny bit in the PA to avoid distortion which doesn't happen if I mic the cab - only when using the DI.

Anyone else experienced the same? It seems to need a variable output control of some sort. Not sure whether to return again to the dealer or is there anything I can connect through to allow me to vary the output?

Waddya think?
Andy

This seems to be a problem with OTB. There is a similar thread on here about this, which advised that and you can get a DI Box (or something like that) that works at -40 db, so rectifies this. Am sure the OTB Club will be able to inform of the specific item.

One of the Behringer DI boxes has a 0/-20db/-40db cut I happened to notice over the weekend... .I'm sure it's cheap - it was certainly quiet...

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1211196' date='Apr 25 2011, 08:38 PM']This seems to be a problem with OTB. There is a similar thread on here about this, which advised that and you can get a DI Box (or something like that) that works at -40 db, so rectifies this. Am sure the OTB Club will be able to inform of the specific item.[/quote]

[quote name='gerryc' post='1211203' date='Apr 25 2011, 08:44 PM']Studiospares 40db in line attenuator about five GBP, mine (and I believe everybody elses) is exactly the same. If I knew how to put up a link I would but I'm as thick as a whale omelette when it comes to computers.[/quote]

Cheers Gerry. Anyone know anything about these?

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='1211214' date='Apr 25 2011, 08:59 PM']Cheers Gerry. Anyone know anything about these?[/quote]

I see the Dave Signal somewhere in the clouds... Cheers Gaf :)

[url="http://www.studiospares.com/mic-accessories/pro-40db-inline-attenuator/invt/568600/?htxt=mJYDTGD9uhYzkGlHu4KGO73Yyy2xeklQ0Iu3xK6kiNQfEfkdVMs7iRTyGKsuzja56BZlISUMSFF1%0AAev27xiOqg%3D%3D"]http://www.studiospares.com/mic-accessorie...ev27xiOqg%3D%3D[/url]

I bought one of these attenuators last year at the same time as I bought the Bass Terror, hoping that what I had read had been a myth or an early fault and I'd never really need to use it. But for a fiver fix, who cares, right? So I had 4-5 gigs using my rig as backline-only and its sweet, warm, crunchy balanced harmonics seduced me very quickly indeed. Then I had a big gig with PA support, and I warned the sound tech in advance just in case. "Nah it should be fine, mate."

Then...

"Woaaaaaaaaaaah" he said during soundcheck, "Yeah, it looks like we're going to have to use your little metal thing."

So I plugged it in, and within an instant it was problem solved.

So yes, for some god-only-known reason, the output does indeed need to be attenuated by a whole 40db! The good news is that this cheap little tube will do the job quite nicely, at the only expense of sticking out a good whack from the side of your head during the gig. And a fiver, of course...

Other than that, it's one hell of an amp, and despite the slight trade-off in size and weight, I don't regret getting rid of my Little Mark II for one second.

-Dave

[quote name='DaveMuadDib' post='1211240' date='Apr 25 2011, 09:40 PM']I see the Dave Signal somewhere in the clouds... Cheers Gaf :)

[url="http://www.studiospares.com/mic-accessories/pro-40db-inline-attenuator/invt/568600/?htxt=mJYDTGD9uhYzkGlHu4KGO73Yyy2xeklQ0Iu3xK6kiNQfEfkdVMs7iRTyGKsuzja56BZlISUMSFF1%0AAev27xiOqg%3D%3D"]http://www.studiospares.com/mic-accessorie...ev27xiOqg%3D%3D[/url]

I bought one of these attenuators last year at the same time as I bought the Bass Terror, hoping that what I had read had been a myth or an early fault and I'd never really need to use it. But for a fiver fix, who cares, right? So I had 4-5 gigs using my rig as backline-only and its sweet, warm, crunchy balanced harmonics seduced me very quickly indeed. Then I had a big gig with PA support, and I warned the sound tech in advance just in case. "Nah it should be fine, mate."

Then...

"Woaaaaaaaaaaah" he said during soundcheck, "Yeah, it looks like we're going to have to use your little metal thing."

So I plugged it in, and within an instant it was problem solved.

Thanks all. Sorted and bought one. Fingers crossed now. Andy

So yes, for some god-only-known reason, the output does indeed need to be attenuated by a whole 40db! The good news is that this cheap little tube will do the job quite nicely, at the only expense of sticking out a good whack from the side of your head during the gig. And a fiver, of course...

Other than that, it's one hell of an amp, and despite the slight trade-off in size and weight, I don't regret getting rid of my Little Mark II for one second.

-Dave[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...