Why become a member? ×

What to buy?

Ben Jamin

Hey guys, I'm a little stuck on what to buy in terms of one's rig! There's a lot of stuff out there!

So far I've been managing with a Crate BT220 combo - solid state 15" thing that's actually pretty good for what it's worth! But I'm going to be playing out of the bedroom a lot more, so I've budgeted for something around the £1000-1300 mark for this coming Christmas. Essentially I'm looking for a head and cab(s). I play quite often in a pretty big venue where there's a 'house cab'/bring-your-own-head kind of vibe, and at the moment I'm having to borrow my friend's EBS HD350 a lot (which is a NICE head! But I don't want to just keep taking advantage of my friends generosity). So perhaps the head is the main thing.

Essentially something that's portable, reasonably versatile, reliable and most importantly sounds ace, because I'm probably going to be stuck with it for a while! I also already do lot of smaller pub gigs with my little acoustic(ish) cover band, and it all has to fit in our frontman's car, so 4x10 is perhaps the limit!

I just wondered if anyone perhaps had any suggestions, or advice on what to be looking at? :)
I've been looking at some of the TC RH450s/RH750s and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on those?

Cheers!

I'm going to unashamedly say GK again, as I always do to this kind of thread. :)

I'm touring with an MB Fusion and two NEO212s at the moment and it sounds fantastic and is portable as well. You'd be able to pick up the head and one cab for your budget which would be enough for most gigs. Alternatively you could mix it up a bit and go for a 4x10 or add a 1x15 and get the MB500. Loads of options. There's also the artist series heads that are fantastic too, though a little weighter. My 2001RB-II and 2x 410RBH setup sounds incredible, it's not what you'd call a convenient rig though. :)

What kind of stuff are you playing?

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1210346' date='Apr 24 2011, 08:50 PM']I'm going to unashamedly say GK again, as I always do to this kind of thread. :)

I'm touring with an MB Fusion and two NEO212s at the moment and it sounds fantastic and is portable as well. You'd be able to pick up the head and one cab for your budget which would be enough for most gigs. Alternatively you could mix it up a bit and go for a 4x10 or add a 1x15 and get the MB500. Loads of options. There's also the artist series heads that are fantastic too, though a little weighter. My 2001RB-II and 2x 410RBH setup sounds incredible, it's not what you'd call a convenient rig though. :)

What kind of stuff are you playing?[/quote]

Yeah GK does look rather good! I play a bit of a mix really - at the bigger venue it's more of a rocked up kinda thing, whereas with my cover band it's just myself, acoustic guitar and two vocals, so it's pretty chilled out stuff. Another band though I'm going to be touring the UK with shortly is also a bit more rock-orientated, so I'll need the rig to suit that too! Bit of a contrast really - but I can only afford the one set-up! :lol:

Edited by Ben Jamin

I should re-phrase my question really as I'm starting to change my opinion that certain amps suit certain styles of music more as I'm finding that most amps can suit most mixes if used properly.

What kind of tones do you like? Stuff like Genz and Eden do the super-clean tone really well, the GK artist series does really fat and growly well, I'm finding the MB Fusion is very versatile, with good use of the controls it can do very clean but also the classic GK rumble (though not quite to the extent of the artist stuff, but then it's a different amp that has a different voice).

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1210367' date='Apr 24 2011, 09:09 PM']I should re-phrase my question really as I'm starting to change my opinion that certain amps suit certain styles of music more as I'm finding that most amps can suit most mixes if used properly.

What kind of tones do you like? Stuff like Genz and Eden do the super-clean tone really well, the GK artist series does really fat and growly well, I'm finding the MB Fusion is very versatile, with good use of the controls it can do very clean but also the classic GK rumble (though not quite to the extent of the artist stuff, but then it's a different amp that has a different voice).[/quote]

Well preferably as transparent as possible! I use a Warwick $$ Corvette and a homemade passive Precision, so I'd like there to be a clear difference more than a specific amp sound like an SVT Ampeg or something. For the rock stuff pretty fat and growly's the way forward, so maybe a tube/decent tube simulator would be good - but I'd need to be able to go back to the super-clean stuff as well for the more chilled out stuff! :)

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1210381' date='Apr 24 2011, 09:26 PM']Well preferably as transparent as possible! I use a Warwick $$ Corvette and a homemade passive Precision, so I'd like there to be a clear difference more than a specific amp sound like an SVT Ampeg or something. For the rock stuff pretty fat and growly's the way forward, so maybe a tube/decent tube simulator would be good - but I'd need to be able to go back to the super-clean stuff as well for the more chilled out stuff! :)[/quote]

Genz Streamliner head with the same cab as mine then :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1210395' date='Apr 24 2011, 09:36 PM']Genz Streamliner head with the same cab as mine then :)[/quote]

Just looked that up and it looks ace! Certainly portable and it's got everything I'd need without over-complicating things - fits the bill very nicely! Thank-you sir! :)

Now I can't wait 'til Christmas :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1210460' date='Apr 24 2011, 10:30 PM']I'm gonna suggest trying some Markbass gear. Get yourself to a good shop like the Bass Mercant or Bass Direct & try loads of gear.[/quote]
That's your best bet I agree although the Genz will do clean better than MB that's why ed friedland loves them for his bass reviews. Depends what other tones the op wants from the amp. I prefer the simple shuttle with a touch of grind but the streamliner with it's full face melt as ed puts it sounds just the ticket for the op.

For the money you're looking to spend you'll be getting good gear. Let your ears decide so try as much as possible. The stuff in my signature is there after years of trying out different gear. I've owned more amp/cab combinations that I care to mention but I believe what I've got now is the best for me.

Although you may think it stinks!

What kind of sound do you want?

As for cab-age I can only ever recommend Barefaced. Best cabs I've ever used, the basic range (compact, midget, super twelve, and the double 15) are all equally great, each with a size and loudness ability to suit your own needs.
Hard to describe how they sound as you get what you put in. Put in a natural reasonable flat head (markbass for example) get that coming out the speaker, but put in a phat tube head, get a phat tubey sound coming out.

Only cabs I've played that let the bass and bass amp head dictate what comes through the speakers.

As for heads, personally I'd recommend the Markbass Littlemark tube, as it does do hi-fi and vintage.
The EQ doesn't colour the sound too much and I like it as it let's my playing and how the bass sounds come through naturally.

For cleans, and tubey rock, my TC Electronics Classic 450 does both very well, they`re about £550ish. Plenty powerful as well. TC also do a fairly light 410, in their BC range, 59 lbs, and about £380.

As recommended, I`d have a look in at The Bass Merchant. When I was looking at cabs, I called them, and must have spent a good 15 mins talking about different cabs, performance etc, and they were so helpful, advised me on my current 410, which does exactly what I wanted. They have a vast amount of gear there, and also have a vast amount of product knowledge too, rather than some places which just stock the items, and offer no advice.

^^ - What he said. I went there a couple of weeks ago on the very same quest (well, having already settled on a Barefaced Compact cab) and spent a couple of hours trying everything in the price range. They were really helpful. For me it was a toss up between the Classic 450 and the Genz Benz Shuttle 6, which is ultimately a little more transparent and brittle at the top (which is why I went for the TC head in the end - slightly warmer). It sounds to me like the Genz Benz would suit your needs more but unless you try it for yourself it is hard to say. From everything I have read Barefaced cabs are the last word in weight:power ratio - a Compact 15" 600W weighs just 12kg and that won the day for me and my back (2 weeks to go!!).

Haha gotta love a bit o' the Bass Whisperer! I end up wanting pretty much anything he reviews - have to limit how much I watch his videos :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1210450' date='Apr 24 2011, 10:19 PM']Did you watch the ed friedland shuttle vs streamliner test? Makes me want both and an old P Bass![/quote]

Thanks guys! Yeah it looks like a road-trip down to the Bass Merchant is going to have to happen soon! I guess I'll have to try everything out - but brands like Barefaced cabs and some of the other gear I'd never come across, so the comments have been really helpful :)

Oh and like the use of the term 'cab-age'. :)

Cheers!

Haha - that's an Friedland signature rig right there!

Good effort with the hairstyle, but is it complete with the beard and glasses? They may be only small features but tonally I hear they make quite a large difference :)

I've not shaved for a while and I've found the extra mass really contributes to the sustain.

...That's my excuse anyway :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1211156' date='Apr 25 2011, 07:44 PM']Just look at my gear list! I even have his hairstyle :)[/quote]

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1211163' date='Apr 25 2011, 08:00 PM']Haha - that's an Friedland signature rig right there!

Good effort with the hairstyle, but is it complete with the beard and glasses? They may be only small features but tonally I hear they make quite a large difference :)

I've not shaved for a while and I've found the extra mass really contributes to the sustain.

...That's my excuse anyway :)[/quote]

Haha Glasses yes but not the beard........yet. Im thinking about it though to level out the hair to head ratio and the head hair isnt really my decision anymore!