Why become a member? ×

I met a rather famous bassist today...

joegarcia

Hi
Had to sight read "babooshka" once my god i was sweating, a beautiful lyrical bassline im pretty sure i didnt do it justice.
John giblin is a master.

:)
John Giblin is one of the best bassplayers I know...The bassline on "Babooska" is a song of its own. Fantastic bassplaying on records by Duncan Browne (The Wild places) John Martin, Peter Gabriel, etc.... Plays it bit more upright for the moment if I 'm not mistaken. Inspired me a lot to pick up a fretless bass. A great musician.
[/quote]

A friend of mine asked me a couple of years ago to come along to a gig in a bar somewhere around Liege (Belgium).
It was a small bar and it was the Tony O'Malley band with Pino Palladino on bass, Ian Thomas on drums and Neil Hubbard on guitar (what a line-up !)
It was a great gig and they played the next days in Brussel in a bar and everyday I went to see the show because how many opportunities do you have to see a bass hero in a bar and sit on the first row ?
So I saw four shows in four days and during the last evening the singer said "for those who are interested : tomorrow around noon we are playing in the lobby of our hotel to cover the expenses, anyone who wants to come, you're welcome..."
I wasn't sure if I would go but I went back again to their hotel.. The other shows Pino had used his pink Fender Precision but he came out the elevator with his fretless Musicman this time and the playing was incredible... One of the best shows I ever saw and what he did on fretless was beyond belief.
I sat there in the lobby with a cup of coffee and within armlength the band was playing...Fantastic.
Afterwards I was sitting there floored by their playing and suddenly Pino sits down next to me and says "You must be a bassplayer, I saw your face everytime for the last couple of nights..." :)
It was a great moment : we talked about bass for the next half hour and he was a really nice person and really modest.. I asked why he played here and he said "Tony is a friend of mine and I'm doing him a favour, tomorrow I'm leaving to play with Jeff Beck"...
Years later Tony moved to Belgium and I was asked to play bass in his band and suddenly I found myself playing the same songs as Pino but surely not as good...

Edited by wombatboter

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='141420' date='Feb 15 2008, 05:52 PM']Ive never been lucky enough to meet any famous bassists, id love to meet Paul - love his playing and his sound, and love the Jamiroquai band!

He sounds like a sound fella too.

Higgie, didnt you have Paul at one of your gigs? If I saw a hero of mine in the crowd id instantly screw up for fear of another muso judging my bass playing!

And I think i would wet my pants if I met Marcus Miller.[/quote]

He came down to a show I played in London a while ago. I was a little nervous as the gig was unrehearsed and pretty much an impromptu jam. Turned out ok (higgie, back me up here mate!)...

Paul's a great player and all-round gentleman - he's always up for a beer and some bass chat - very friendly guy.

[quote name='chris_b' post='141424' date='Feb 15 2008, 06:03 PM']I wish I could meet someone like that. With the guy's I play with, they start on 11 and get louder!![/quote]

Jay turns everyone else on stage down BUT himself... I don't know if I could cope with his vocals blasting through the foldback!

Lex

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='138612' date='Feb 12 2008, 01:55 AM']Had something similar to that many years ago. Me & my old band mates travelled down from Manchester to Ilford to buy a mixing desk from a guy in a bedsit. Then to go with it, we then travelled round to Surrey to buy a 50 metre roll of multicore.

We were a bit similar.....starting noticing the houses getting bigger and bigger.

Stopped outside his place, and knocked on this massive oak front door. A young girl opened it and led us in, and pointed us in the direction of the room her dad was in. When we opened the door, it was the door to a huge recording studio he had built in his house. Two 7 piece kits set up, a complete set of kettle drums, lots of saxes hanging all over the place as well as a myriad of other instruments. We spent about an hour there with him chatting away.

When we left, the drummer asked our keyboard player what his name was. He said "Jon something......a bit foreign sounding". Our drummer then realised we'd been at the house of Jon Heisman (seen [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtjDigJ_QQI"]here[/url] playing in "Colosseum II" with Gary Moore and Don Airey). Others may know him from "Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia" (I think she was his wife - which would explain the saxes everywhere).

Nice house by the way. :)[/quote]

I know it's a bit pointless replying to a year and a half old post but, if anyones interested I've got a very funny story regarding Jon Heisman and Barbara Thompson that was told to me by a muso a few years ago. I'd have to e-mail it, though, as it's fairly, er, sensitive. very funny though!

[quote name='bassmanbish' post='140901' date='Feb 15 2008, 11:48 AM']Not sure if this belongs in here or in the ‘Tenuous claims to fame’ thread as it’s about someone my wife met...

The missus used to work at ‘Andy’s Records’ in Beverley, East Yorkshire. The Beverley Playhouse was quite nearby so they used to get a bit of passing trade from acts performing there - some fairly well known.

One day she served a chap and, as he was leaving, one of her workmates, Andy (not the owner) said to her “er, do you know who that was?”.

She didn’t.

“Pino Palladino!”

Obviously I wasn’t there and part of me wishes she hadn’t told me the tale.

Matt[/quote]

That was probably the gig when Pino was playing with The Robbie McIntosh band at the Beverley Playhouse, which I saw.
Great band (incl.Mark Feltham and Melvin Duffy IIRC ) in a great venue too. Pino had his pink Precision-sounded fine!

I'm in Paris, mid-nineties, in a guitar store in Pigalle. This old bloke comes in, bald, with a beard, followed by this gigantic dude in a Raiders hoodie, with a wooly hat pulled way down over his eyes.

The old guy goes up to the salesman and says in heavily-accented French that he's there to pick up the Fender Jazz bass. Meanwhile, the big dude is poking around at the basses on the wall, and eventually takes one down and starts playing it unplugged. A Precision if I remember correctly. He turns around to sit on a combo, and I see his face, and my jaw drops by about a mile. My mate who is with me looks at me and says "what?"

So I asked him if he'd heard of Tim Commerford from RATM.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='138571' date='Feb 12 2008, 12:41 AM']On the way I asked what sort of stuff he played. He said he played a bit of everything, Funk, R&B, Soul, Rock, Jazz etc. I asked who he played with and he paused slightly and quietly said "Jamiroquai".[/quote]

Sounds like the time I sold a secondhand piece of gear to Nick Fyffe through Loot. Again, the conversation went like this:
Me: So, are you playing in any bands at the moment?
Him: Err... I've just left Jamiroquai.

[quote name='Rich' post='139068' date='Feb 12 2008, 09:22 PM']John Giblin is a fretless master. He makes it sing in a way I could only dream of.[/quote]
John Giblin is a superb bassist. His bassline on "Babooshka" is my favourite of all time.