Why become a member? ×

55-02 0r JO5.... what sounds good to you..?

bubinga5

Ok i know these are called different names now..but.. im interested to know what you prefer in tone, or looks...im aware these are old hat now but there still very relavent.. both very different basses, in looks and attitude.. i gotta say i love both these but for erm.. different reasons

Lakland JO 5 Skyline

Bejeezus that JO sounds frickin awsome!! proper Jazz bass with some super stuff in that bass.. gotta love that tone... its my favorite really

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkvnISNFOqU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkvnISNFOqU[/url]

55-02 Deluxe

WOW.. through a GK and what a tone.. much more scooped..more modern generally.. i really love this tone.. much more meaty.. i prefer the JO if im honest..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqtXGhE3Gs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqtXGhE3Gs[/url]

please dont give any maple rosewood differences...to many variables in electronics.... both sounds amazing to me...

whats your bag..

I prefer the 55 02 tone wise, I used the same electronics for years. You may not grind but those preamps have great presence on stage, passively brillaint in mix too - chap from Genesis uses a plain black one :). On the con side I think they're ugly basses...and not in the good way unfortunately IMO. Oh and Rosewood btw :)

From playing both these models I really preferred the 55 02 in terms of tone, just a lot more tones available for tweaking with the active pickups/preamp, which I always prefer on a five string bass. The JO5 I tried sounded a bit weak on the B string in comparison.

For looks though it is the JO by far, as I am not a fan of the looks of the 55 02s, though they are great basses.

[quote name='thodrik' post='1207820' date='Apr 22 2011, 02:57 AM']From playing both these models I really preferred the 55 02 in terms of tone, just a lot more tones available for tweaking with the active pickups/preamp, which I always prefer on a five string bass. The JO5 I tried sounded a bit weak on the B string in comparison.

For looks though it is the JO by far, as I am not a fan of the looks of the 55 02s, though they are great basses.[/quote]tis nice to hear some experience.. i love both but in different ways..a bit like the way i like
Aguilar or Bergantino... both good but different.. if i had to choose i would struggle.. but being a Jazz bass man the shape would sway me.. but that 55 tone is killer.... i had a 55-01 with a Glock pre and live it amazed me... great basses all the same..

any more opinions on these seminal basses of our times???

Edited by bubinga5

The JO5 for me...as I like Jazzes.
I'd probably add a JE pre to make things easier when the passive struggles. It is a fave trick of mine that I can get the JE to be a spunkier version of the passive tone of my jazzes.

I prefer the pretty J styling as well and am less a MM humbucker type person these days so JO5 all round.

As a bass demo, the 55-02 is more than decent though.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1207816' date='Apr 22 2011, 02:50 AM']is it better Ris?[/quote]

Not better but brilliant basses and if you can pick one up for second hand then you'd be winning. The JO5's I've tried sounded a little darker on that low B than the 4's, although just to my ears and they were still great basses so whatever you with you'll be pleased with. Lakland are flat out great!

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1207821' date='Apr 22 2011, 02:57 AM']Naw, traditional shape is best! Although I hear the JO5's weigh a tonne!! So perhaps the smaller jazz body of the DJ5 improves on that..?[/quote]

I am now officially a sucker for the DJ's but only because I just bought one and I think they're great! Not just mine but every one I've ever played, 4, 5, rosewood/maple whatever. The JO are great basses and I would have also seriously considered buying one as well. I really like the 55-02's although I've never been totally sold on them aesthetically, that's just me though.

[quote name='Rasta' post='1208041' date='Apr 22 2011, 10:38 AM']Jo5 with the Lindy Fralin pick ups but then i might be biased :) (Have of late had fleeting moments about selling/ or trading for a cheaper 5 as i hardly play 5 now if at all......but just not quite ready yet)
[/quote]
dont you pay in a reggae band.. i recognise that face... :) very nice JO