Why become a member? ×

New Shuker build...

Jamesemt

Hi guys, Jon has sent me 5 options for knob layout. I also need to include 3 switches (LEDS, kill switch and active/passive) and a front mounted jack (I'm sick of fishing for the jack socket on the side and with the kill switch I can leave the lead plugged in).

Anyways, I can't get my head around how best to lay the switches out. John has sent me these options, what do you think?

For me it would be the last one - In a line with the volume up level with the bridge pickup location… I find it much easier to locate quickly if it's based there.

LED and Active/Passive switch should be tucked away as changing quick is prob not needed, maybe down next to the bridge. Depends what capacity you plan on using the kill switch in to decide on location...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1203380' date='Apr 18 2011, 10:56 AM']What do the knobs do? - volume, balance, bass and treble? If so go for one of the layouts with them in a line. I don't like the diamond pattern unless it's the standard guitar 2 pickup vtvt set up as there isn't a logical pattern to it.[/quote]

Yeah volume, balance, bass and treble. I'm really struggling with the switch layout.

I'm thinking all in a line with the jack above the furthest right knob, with kill switch next to it. But where should I place the led and active/passive switch?

When our beloved OldGit had his Shuker P5 built, he had the LED switch housed in the battery box surround on the back. OK so it meant that you had to take the bass off to switch them on/off, but that's when you do it anyway, right? It was a neat idea and kept the front of the bass clean.
Another idea possibly worth pursuing... how about having a push/pull switch on the volume knob and using this as your ac/pas switch? That's what Jon did for my LED switch. If you had a push/pull and the OldGit LED switch idea, you'd only need to find space for one actual flick switch on the front of the bass. Much cleaner.

[quote name='Rich' post='1203416' date='Apr 18 2011, 11:27 AM']When our beloved OldGit had his Shuker P5 built, he had the LED switch housed in the battery box surround on the back. OK so it meant that you had to take the bass off to switch them on/off, but that's when you do it anyway, right? It was a neat idea and kept the front of the bass clean.
Another idea possibly worth pursuing... how about having a push/pull switch on the volume knob and using this as your ac/pas switch? That's what Jon did for my LED switch. If you had a push/pull and the OldGit LED switch idea, you'd only need to find space for one actual flick switch on the front of the bass. Much cleaner.[/quote]

That's what I'd do. I'd probably use another of the knobs as a push/pull for the LEDs though, that way everything would be easy to access on the front of the bass. Volume and Active/Passive on one knob, Balance, Bass, and then Push/Pull on the Treble pot to turn the LED's on. Well, depending on which knob would be furthest away. I personally would use layout 2, and have the kill switch in the middle somewhere, if you're just going to use it to mute the Bass. I'd relocate it if you were going for some Tom Morello style kill switch madness :)

Some good ideas here.

The kill switch is so I don't have to unplug between sets/can leave it plugged in at home.

Got me thinking:

volume for push active/passive
Balance as the pull kill switch
Treble for the LEDs

That would get rid of all the switches on the bass...

2 or 5 for me can’t stand my Streamer knob layout. And as the present custodian of Old Git's Shuker, the LED slide switch on the back works just fine, no need to take it off. Since Homer modified it with an East preamp it also has a kill switch, which used to be the coil change I find this handy too.

LED slide switch in picture is under the 2007 just use your nail, you don't accidently knock it on or off :)

Just realised Rich said OldGits P5, well this is his other bass which shows it works to have the same thing done twice.

When i do get round to a custom order I may get brave and have all the knobs in a line up the top horn, ( providing the cavity isn't already drilled at the bottom !!)

Edited by deepbass5

Just a question: If you're using the kill switch so that it doesn't drain batteries when you're not playing, wouldn't an active/passive switch have the same effect? If you're worried about it getting knocked and making a noise, roll down the volume (assuming you usually have it at max) or mute your amp/pull out the jack a little for the same effect.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1204223' date='Apr 18 2011, 10:12 PM']Just a question: If you're using the kill switch so that it doesn't drain batteries when you're not playing, wouldn't an active/passive switch have the same effect? If you're worried about it getting knocked and making a noise, roll down the volume (assuming you usually have it at max) or mute your amp/pull out the jack a little for the same effect.[/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing… ?