Why become a member? ×

Differences in amp volumes.

arthurhenry

My 350 Watt Hartke head was putting out, I think about 240W into my 8ohm cab. The volume hardly ever went above 2, even on loud rock gigs. Last night I used my new Hartke LH500 for the first time. This puts out 350W into the same cab. The volume was on 6! Why?

Edited by arthurhenry

Never take any notice of volume knobs.. If your amp is loud enough, it is loud enough..if it isn't then you have a decision to make.
Comparing ratings ect ect between amps is pretty pointless, IMO.

Don't worry about it..as long as it performs and you like the sound, that is about it IMV

[quote name='JTUK' post='1201275' date='Apr 15 2011, 10:34 PM']Never take any notice of volume knobs.. If your amp is loud enough, it is loud enough..if it isn't then you have a decision to make.
Comparing ratings ect ect between amps is pretty pointless, IMO.

Don't worry about it..as long as it performs and you like the sound, that is about it IMV[/quote]
+the one.
Provided that your cab is not obviosly dying as a result!

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1201118' date='Apr 15 2011, 03:05 PM']My 350 Watt Hartke head was putting out, I think about 240W into my 8ohm cab. The volume hardly ever went above 2, even on loud rock gigs. Last night I used my new Hartke LH500 for the first time. This puts out 350W into the same cab. The volume was on 6! Why?[/quote]Gain structure. Google it.

[quote name='thinman' post='1201585' date='Apr 16 2011, 09:54 AM']I'm always amused by the comment "My XXXXXXX is brilliant - I never have to use it past 2 on the volume!" which has the implicit and rash assumption that it could go 5 times louder. Very, very unlikely.[/quote]

Often incorrectly heard by others that dont realise that the people using the gear are more than familiar with it and are making a very valid comment as they have used it in many situations so know than actually that gear XXXXXXXX is really good and never needed to go past 2 where other lesser gear may be struggling :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1202679' date='Apr 17 2011, 03:43 PM']Often incorrectly heard by others that dont realise that the people using the gear are more than familiar with it and are making a very valid comment as they have used it in many situations so know than actually that gear XXXXXXXX is really good and never needed to go past 2 where other lesser gear may be struggling :)[/quote]

Indeed - but I'd still guarantee that it won't go 5 x louder though. Bit of a Spinal Tap argument to my mind that a bad amp has to have its volume knob turned round more than a good one!