Why become a member? ×

New band, finally found something good!

Musicman20

haha, I understand that. I really think that the GKs are what they say on the tin though. Like I said in the other thread, I think the costs (and weight) have been kept down by lack of baffling and bracing, but from what I've seen and heard (as well as trying the 210) they don't get boomy like you might expect. After looking them up a minute ago, I realised the reliability issues on earlier models I mentioned in another thread were actually the MB150 heads. :)

I'm playing a gig down in Brighton next week and hopefully some of the guys from Polar Audio are coming along, if you want me to ask anything then feel free to let me know and I'll try and remember or alternatively throw me a PM and I'll give you the name and email of the guy I deal with there and I'm sure either he'll be able to answer questions or pass you on to someone who can.

I totally understand your skeptisism but they really are in a league of their own. All the amps they do are brilliant for what they are, a quick search on this forum for the MB200 will show you posts from people who are blown away by how capable the tiny £210 200w head is. If you're ever in Nottingham/Derby you're welcome to come give my stuff a blast, obviously it's not the MB combos, but the rig I'm getting next week is very similar, albeit with a hybrid head and fully baffled/braced cabs. If you're happy using your incoming TC head, the NEO212s could be an option anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1222346' date='May 6 2011, 04:39 PM']Any more ideas on this?

Has anyone used the Promethean 1x10 with a drummer?[/quote]
PM wateroftyne, I seem to recall he has done gigs with a drummer and a Promethean

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1222346' date='May 6 2011, 04:39 PM']Any more ideas on this?

Has anyone used the Promethean 1x10 with a drummer?[/quote]

Yup, many many times.
In the kind of setup you're talking about it's just fine.

I would also say Promethean but why not just a simple amplified lightweight floor monitor? You have the pre in the Tonehammer!

If you like a deep sound i think a 12" is the minimum, see if something pops up in the FS section (that RS112 would be great if it is a good deal). The cheapest neo 12" cab with quality i've seen for sale new is the Fender Rumble 12" cab, give it a look. You can use it with the TC os the GB at low volume, i use my STL9.0+STL12T at low settings without loosing tone.

It's great playing at low volumes! I'm on a funky band with a female vocals, guitar and drums and sometimes i need to ask the guitard to raise his volume a bit! The drumer wasn't very quiet but me and the guitard are taking care of him! :)

If we play with PA support what's the point of playing at deafning volume levels on stage?

Cheers

[quote name='Clarky' post='1222351' date='May 6 2011, 04:44 PM']PM wateroftyne, I seem to recall he has done gigs with a drummer and a Promethean[/quote]
Hello!

Never gigged it with a drummer, just perc.. I get the feeling it would be fine at a quiet gig with a controlled drummer.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1222765' date='May 7 2011, 12:04 AM']Gareth, my MarkBass combo is really starting to warm up and sound very good. I am doing my first gig with it next Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.[/quote]

Im guessing you are playing NEXT Saturday, and didnt play yesterday?

I played our first gig last night, see my topic in General, and a 4x10 was WAY too much!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1224162' date='May 8 2011, 03:02 PM']Im guessing you are playing NEXT Saturday, and didnt play yesterday?

I played our first gig last night, see my topic in General, and a 4x10 was WAY too much![/quote]

Yeah next Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes. Shame you are not closer, we could do some gigs together what with both being acoustic. Are you covers or originals?

[quote name='Linus27' post='1224179' date='May 8 2011, 03:21 PM']Yeah next Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes. Shame you are not closer, we could do some gigs together what with both being acoustic. Are you covers or originals?[/quote]

90% covers, although slightly re-jigged for acoustic, and we tend to change the songs a little....yeah let me know! Hope it goes well :)

I have just joined a folk originals band and it is very liberating playing at low levels. No ear plugs/IEM faf, everything can be heard and it is easy to add dynamics.

We usually gig a 4/5 song set in London so to bring anything other than the instrument would be for ego purposes only. Usually take the DB with the Fishman Platinum Pro or the Ibanez EWB205 which has a DI out built in, both straight to the PA.

When the ego will demand it then I shall the Ashdown LB & a Barefaced Midget T, but as yet they are both unused for this band.

Oh, and a free plug: [url="http://www.blackdoghat.com"]www.blackdoghat.com[/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1198293' date='Apr 13 2011, 03:35 PM']Definitely want to consider the Promethean. Light, small, good price, and ive heard like you say the quality is high.

I dont want to spend £1000 on a combo or £600 on a neo cab when you can get good sounding ones like this for £500+.[/quote]

The Barefaced midget is a route and at around 9kg you won't find anything as good for as little or as light. And Im sure you have a head somewhere to match with it.

Although I'd like to try that turning up with a DI in my pocket and playing, I just don't like the idea of my sound being controlled by speakers/PA cabs I didn't choose. I'm such a control freak.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1226187' date='May 10 2011, 01:59 PM']The Barefaced midget is a route and at around 9kg you won't find anything as good for as little or as light. And Im sure you have a head somewhere to match with it.

Although I'd like to try that turning up with a DI in my pocket and playing, I just don't like the idea of my sound being controlled by speakers/PA cabs I didn't choose. I'm such a control freak.[/quote]

I did try the Compact previously in a louder situation and didnt bond with it if im honest, light and loud-ish, yes, but not sure it was what im after.

Id have to see recent BF cab production to consider it...purely because Im a picky so and so. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We do seem to have hit a good compromise and agreement as a band now.

Basically, if its a very small quiet gig, Ill be purely DI'd because we have monitors to help with my sound, and the PA is more than capable of carrying the volume we need. This is probably about 60% of what we have booked.

Anything larger, like functions, and halls, etc, then Ill be taking an RS210 with the Streamliner or RH750, and that will be more than enough. Obviously this can also go through the PA if we need to.

I think I tried to justify buying a combo, when in reality I have separates I can mix and match, and the Sansamp/Tonehammer pedals are there for times when an amp really isnt necessary due to space and volume.

Most the 1x12s I was looking at weigh as much as the RS210...and the only combos that were really suitable and justifiable are the VERY small ones eg a Phil Jones type combo, a Markbass CMD121P, or Ibanez Promethean 1x10. If Im honest, I think the 1x10 would get almost lost anyway once the drums get a little louder, so the RS210 would be more suitable and put less stress on the speakers. So, if a 1x10 is more than likely a little too small, the PA/monitors would be a better choice.

I have a VT Bass Version 2 coming now, and although its technically not a DI, apparently you can still run it into the PA...so Ill try all three pedals and see which one works best.

Saved myself from a bit of GAS there....which has now been redirected at basses. Heck.

Since you've cut your sig down I have no idea what you do have.

I still maintain buying a Barefaced midget. At 9kg it's easy to carry, small footprint, and should suit your band set up nicely.

But I guess using a DI is the more sensible option.

Nice one Gareth. I still think you would had loved the MarkBass combo but they are not cheap. I should get my acoustic bass in a weeks time or so. Really looking forward to playing it with the MarkBass and going for the full acoustic look and sound.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1236707' date='May 19 2011, 10:17 AM']Since you've cut your sig down I have no idea what you do have.

I still maintain buying a Barefaced midget. At 9kg it's easy to carry, small footprint, and should suit your band set up nicely.

But I guess using a DI is the more sensible option.[/quote]

Main reason I think an expensive cab isnt necessary is because the RS210 isnt heavy at all...and I also like the tone. So, in itself, its like a one cab solution for these small acoustic gigs. I realise the midget is lighter, but not be a dramatic amount, plus Id want a tweeter, just in case, so it would run up as quite an expensive option unfortunately. Id also then want the vintage stying on it...yet again more expense. We are looking at Berg 1x12 territory prices...

As per the comments by some of the Talkbass chaps who have compared Bergs to the RS210, they said it is a very very capable cabinet, small footprint, and most importantly, a sweet tone. So, ive probably got the best option for what I need anyway.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Linus27' post='1236720' date='May 19 2011, 10:29 AM']Nice one Gareth. I still think you would had loved the MarkBass combo but they are not cheap. I should get my acoustic bass in a weeks time or so. Really looking forward to playing it with the MarkBass and going for the full acoustic look and sound.[/quote]

I think the MB was high on the list...definitely. If I ever have some spare money I might try one out :)