Why become a member? ×

Groovy old CMI/Vox rig

I passed Mev Taylor's in Edinburgh today, and they had [url="http://www.mevtaylors.co.uk/amplifiers_voxcmi.htm"]this[/url] in the window, which looks cool. I think the head and cab are tagged at £250. Weren't CMI a Marshall relative? I don't need another valve amp, but it could be interesting to somebody here...

CMI (Cleartone Musical Instruments) was Marshall. It was a sub-brand Jim Marshall started up to sidestep a dodgy distribution deal Marshall were tied up in at the time. I think on the whole they were more budget-oriented products but would've been made alongside "proper" Marshalls.

Jon.

Edit: £250 on their website.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1195873' date='Apr 11 2011, 04:03 PM']CMI (Cleartone Musical Instruments) was Marshall. It was a sub-brand Jim Marshall started up to sidestep a dodgy distribution deal Marshall were tied up in at the time. I think on the whole they were more budget-oriented products but would've been made alongside "proper" Marshalls.

Jon.[/quote]

I agree, I think that at the time Rose Morris had exclusive distribution rights on anything with the "Marshall" badge on them. Early on Jim Marshall used the CMI brand to produce stuff to sell outside of the distribution deal, including my Ned Callan bass :)

Had a look today.
Nice wee set up but the cab, a Vox Foundation with 1x18 (I believe) was struggling with the output - poss new speaker needed.

The head would need some work as it was cutting out at times and again this could be a speaker issue too.

Great low volume tone though - a studio amp for sure and lovely bit of dirt once you give it some welly not that I could really open it up, like I say, might need to go into a better cab for the full effect/force.

I'd say its a Little bastard beater and for £250 and a once over by a good tech it's well worth the punt if for no other reason than to play Sabbath riffs all day long on some vintage valve gear :) Only minus is no D.I out :) (I'm kidding!!)

Marco be good to hear it into the 2x15 you have.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1195832' date='Apr 11 2011, 03:34 PM']I passed Mev Taylor's in Edinburgh today[/quote]

I didn't know Mev Taylors was still going, assumed it was down the pan along with Sound Control. It was always a great shop since the Morrison St days. Is that the old "Rainbow Music" shop?

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1201109' date='Apr 15 2011, 07:51 PM']I didn't know Mev Taylors was still going, assumed it was down the pan along with Sound Control. It was always a great shop since the Morrison St days. Is that the old "Rainbow Music" shop?[/quote]

the good old days, every saturday starting at Sound Control on St Mary's Street, then Live Music on Candlemaker Row, down to Mev's on Morrison St, and probably Rikki's on the way home.

Edited by RichF

[quote name='RichF' post='1201374' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:19 AM']the good old days, every saturday starting at Sound Control on St Mary's Street, then Live Music on Candlemaker Row, down to Mev's on Morrison St, and probably Rikki's on the way home.[/quote]
I'm so old I even remember Mel's Music on St Stephens St down Stockbridge. It got gutted by fire I was told, with a lot of vintage stock in it. It was where I sold my first EB3.
First time I saw Live Music it was just down from STV on Leith Walk; Vince still gets some good gear in occasionally.

One word for a den of frequent discoveries ................ Bostons! :) Where I refound my first EB3 many years later, but it had been wrecked so I left it.

Boston's was owned and run by skanky drug dealing gangsters. The father, Roddy McLean, and son who owned it got sent down for murder after they set fire to a yacht they were sailing from Rotterdam, full of cannabis, back to Edinburgh with a customers officer (they had just been boarded by customs) on board. Pops got 25 years and junior got 12. Most of the gear they had in there was stolen to order by junkies. The last time I saw the front door of Bostons open was while I was travelling past on a bus after the owners had been serving their sentences for about a year and saw a gang of rastafarians picking it clean. They were probably hoping the remaining contents of the shop would pay off various 'debts' owed.

[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/feb/15/drugsandalcohol.ukcrime"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/feb/15/d...alcohol.ukcrime[/url]

Ahh, the good old days.

[quote name='gjones' post='1202287' date='Apr 17 2011, 12:41 AM']Boston's was owned and run by skanky drug dealing gangsters. The father, Roddy McLean, and son who owned it got sent down for murder after they set fire to a yacht they were sailing from Rotterdam, full of cannabis, back to Edinburgh with a customers officer (they had just been boarded by customs) on board. Pops got 25 years and junior got 12. Most of the gear they had in there was stolen to order by junkies. The last time I saw the front door of Bostons open was while I was travelling past on a bus after the owners had been serving their sentences for about a year and saw a gang of rastafarians picking it clean. They were probably hoping the remaining contents of the shop would pay off various 'debts' owed.

[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/feb/15/drugsandalcohol.ukcrime"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/feb/15/d...alcohol.ukcrime[/url]

Ahh, the good old days.[/quote]

The shop never got raided because they used to pass on the occasional bit of inside info to the police. I saw Roddy Jnr a few years ago on Chambers St. He was a shadow of his former self, obviously hard into something :)

I was proud of the fact I once managed to rip them off, sold them a "Fender" pup that I'd got out of a Fenix.

Edited by Big_Stu