Why become a member? ×

B-E-A-D

danny-79

[quote name='danny-79' post='1201174' date='Apr 15 2011, 09:13 PM']Got it set up now an to my surprise it went smoother than i expected it to go, my biggest concern was the nut but no filing needed there, just a slight truss intonation an truss rod adjustment, no unwanted rattles or buzzes an getting some great/different/interesting sounds from putting in slides going up to notes on the same string etc.

Having fun with it at the minute, totally different playing style so its still a novelty, just bit limited with the lack of G.

(everything is telling me, as much as don't want to admit it or like the idea of it...... gotta get a fiver :) )[/quote]

Hey Danny us Ray users are always being told the G string can't be heard anyway :) on a serious note you are having a good preview slice of Ray 5 loveliness, All the fun of the four with a big juicy B string what's not to like?

[quote name='danny-79' post='1193117' date='Apr 8 2011, 05:50 PM']Thats for advice so far to all, gonna order a five string set now an see how it goes, It could be the start of something completely different .... WIN WIN if nothing else :)[/quote]
Bi-winning?

I have used BEAD tuning on my 51 P reissue for years. I did not even bother to use a five string set, it was a regular Thomstik flatwound 4 string set. Thick strings don't do it for me. The action wasn't set extremely high, and the Thomastiks don't have a lot of tension anyway. It's all a matter of getting used to the lower tension, IMHO.

These days, I play DGCF on all of my basses (standard strings), since I rarely used anything below the D.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1201223' date='Apr 15 2011, 09:56 PM']thanks for the update, i am tempted for punk/metal/reggae stuff, although a fiver seems the more sensible option.

also equally tempted by the idea of a seperate 4-string set-up with ADGC (not tuned down) for use exclusively with an octave pedal (-1 oct, to clarify), just as a synth-type bass for d'n'b/dub requirements, mmmmm.

so many possibilities, so little cash... :)[/quote]

No worries, it worked a lot easier than i thought it would, although the low B is LOW !!!
Took it up half a note to C an that seems sound pretty good !
Never tried or even thought of going higher so cant comment on how that might turn outIveve heard of people doing it to a fiver with EADGC, could be interesting.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1201366' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:10 AM']Hey Danny us Ray users are always being told the G string can't be heard anyway :) on a serious note you are having a good preview slice of Ray 5 loveliness, All the fun of the four with a big juicy B string what's not to like?[/quote]

:lol: There you go weak G problem no more with just putting it in the bin hehe

If (big very yes if) i go down the five string rout (again an if) the Bongo 5HH i had on loan a while ago sealed it for me of what id go for IF i were to get a fiver.

Edited by danny-79

I'm thinking in doing this on my warwick streamer $$ do you guys think i might have any troubles with the neck? I'm just to scared to do anything on a warwick neck due to all the talk about the problems that use to happen on them, but mine is totally fine till now...

I'm currently using a low ADGC tuning on my passive PJ bass - works OK with a 0.135" low B downtuned a whole step (in fact all four strings are each downtuned a whole step, keeping them tuned in perfect fourths).

Can be a bit woolly though, even with some fairly aggressive EQ'ing on the head and Sansamp - needs a bit of setting up in a band context. Tend to play more over the Jazz pickup for that 'burpy' mid-range tone - playing further away from the bridge, towards/over the P-pup results in a 'darker', bassier tone, which doesn't always work on some songs, but can sound damn cool playing the lower notes (B, C, D etc). If I'm playing higher up the range (from E upwards, for example), I would tend to go up a string from the low B/A to the low D/E string.

I'm fairly open to trying some strange tunings - next foray may be to use a low B tuned to C, then a standard set downtuned a whole step to G,C, & F (I think this is the same as Charic's Drop C tuning?) - kind of a mixed tuning with different gauge strings.

Give it a go and see what happens

HTH,
Ian

[quote name='7enderhead' post='1201765' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:47 PM']These days, I play DGCF on all of my basses (standard strings), since I rarely used anything below the D.[/quote]
I've often considered doing this. I used to use a fiver but don't think I ever played below low D, certainly never open B (I'm not saying it's redundant, it's just that I had no call to use it in band I was in). In recent years I've just played four stringers but always seem to fit D Tuner. So going DGCF is tempting as I could drop the extender (no pun intended), however, I think I'd up my string gauge as I don't particularly the tension on the bottom string when I drop it to D (I use 100,80,65,45).

[quote name='7enderhead' post='1201765' date='Apr 16 2011, 12:47 PM']These days, I play DGCF on all of my basses (standard strings), since I rarely used anything below the D.[/quote]
Did this with the Squier when I first got it, again with the standard string set - worked fine

[quote name='ezbass' post='1203650' date='Apr 18 2011, 02:52 PM']I've often considered doing this. I used to use a fiver but don't think I ever played below low D, certainly never open B (I'm not saying it's redundant, it's just that I had no call to use it in band I was in). In recent years I've just played four stringers but always seem to fit D Tuner. So going DGCF is tempting as I could drop the extender (no pun intended), however, I think I'd up my string gauge as I don't particularly the tension on the bottom string when I drop it to D (I use 100,80,65,45).[/quote]
Depends on the string set, but I would consider using a 0.105" string for the open D. The rest of the strings should be fine with being down-tuned a whole step, though. Also worth noting is the possibility you'll need to slacken the trussrod off a smidge to compensate for the slightly lower tension in the strings.

Having said that, the Squier behaved just fine without any adjustment - didn't get any rattle or fret-buzz.

HTH,
Ian

I have been using my Bongo HS set up and tuned B E A D successfully for quite a while.
My Precision is standard EADG because at its age I didn't want to do anything too drastic to it.
I jump between the two as neccessary.

I do reckon a contemporary design will better cope with the tuning, tension etc.
and modern pickups seem happier with a broader range of notes,
of course the electronics on the Bongo help too.
The bottom four strings from a standard set of 5 string EB Slinky are what I use.

The big advantage is having more notes outside of the guitar's range with the keys I have to play in.
The disadvantage is my onstage 'vocalising' of the notes played has got worse so I keep clear of mics!

Enjoy the depth.