Why become a member? ×

Connecting a head to a cabinet

Bloc Riff Nut

My trace V6 has XLR and Jack options to connect it to the speaker. The speaker (EBS Classic Line 4x10) has Neutrik Speakon or a Jack option.
I already have a Jack Neutric Speakon cable, am I ok to connect the Jack side of the cable to the head and the Neutrik speakon side to my cabinet?
Or am I about to destroy a toy?

What do you guys use - Jack-Jack. Jack-Speakon. Xlr-Jack or Xlr-speakon. So many options, are they all acceptable?

I've only ever had combos so this all new to me!

Phil.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1189271' date='Apr 5 2011, 04:50 PM']I've never heard of using a balanced XLR out to connect to a speaker cabinet. Are sure that isn't the D.I. out? I could be wrong of course :/[/quote]

Nope.
The V6 has a single 1/4" jack or an XLR for speaker out.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1189271' date='Apr 5 2011, 03:50 PM']I've never heard of using a balanced XLR out to connect to a speaker cabinet. Are sure that isn't the D.I. out? I could be wrong of course :/[/quote]

The DI is on the front. This is on the rear panel indicated with the word [color="#FF0000"]speaker[/color] ;-)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1189355' date='Apr 5 2011, 05:38 PM']I have an XLR to speakon lead for one of my amps, I think XLR is better than jack, as it is secured, they sort of predate speakons for people that figured jack was a bad speaker connection method on high output equipment.[/quote]

It's quite amazing that the jack plug has lasted as long as it has - it was originally designed for use in manual telephone exchanges well over 100 years ago!
I reckon that makes it the oldest electrical connector still in common use.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1189355' date='Apr 5 2011, 05:38 PM']I think XLR is better than jack, as it is secured, they sort of predate speakons for people that figured jack was a bad speaker connection method on high output equipment.[/quote]
Agreed. XLRs were quite common as a speaker connection before the Speakon gained popularity. It handles more power than a jack. Because the holes are normally identical in size you can usually swap your XLRs for Speakons without too much trouble.

[quote name='stevie' post='1189419' date='Apr 5 2011, 06:15 PM']Agreed. XLRs were quite common as a speaker connection before the Speakon gained popularity. It handles more power than a jack. Because the holes are normally identical in size you can usually swap your XLRs for Speakons without too much trouble.[/quote]
Exactly - that's why I'm changing mine (AH350X) to Speakon as soon as Dave at bassic-bits ships the necessary. Just to add to the confusion there are varying opinions on the correct pin-out for xlr speaker plugs.

[quote name='stevie' post='1189419' date='Apr 5 2011, 06:15 PM']Agreed. XLRs were quite common as a speaker connection before the Speakon gained popularity. It handles more power than a jack.[/quote]

It's also a pain in the arse to figure out which two pins are carrying the power if you've got an old WEM with the transfers rubbed off :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1189268' date='Apr 5 2011, 04:48 PM']As you already have a Jack <-> Speakon cable then I'd use that.

As long as you only use one cable between the amp and the speaker then you'll be just fine. :)[/quote]

+1
That's what I use and it works fine. I'd prefer speakon-to-speakon but my amp only has jacks for the speaker output. But having at least one speakon connector identifies it as a speaker cable and avoids confusion with jack-to-jack instrument cables.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1189944' date='Apr 6 2011, 12:01 AM'][b]Could you blow up a sound man's board if you accidentally plugged into the speaker out instead of the DI?[/b]

I once used an amp with XLR speaker connectors, not the connectors fault but it was the worst amp I have ever heard (Wareick Pro-Fet)[/quote]

Absolutely - that would be, err, expensive!