Why become a member? ×

The Death of My Band

BottomE

The band i play in has had the same lineup for about 4 years with other musos coming and going. We have done hundreds of gigs and for the most part it has been a highly pleasurable experience. This year has been a bit mixed in terms of gigs - some great and some rubbish.

Last night at rehearsal the guitartist says that he is wanting to go in another direction musically - he is fed up playin the same tunes. The singer is having problems recovering her voice after gigs and might like doing less gigs. Getting this out in the open is cool - we all chatted and the plan was to try and concentrate on the posher end of the (function) market for the "dosh" and work on some new cover material. We nailed 3 new tunes last night. Me and the drummer are up for as many gigs as possible though as we are both married with kids :)

Whilst that is all fine and amicable i wonder if it is a sympton of something else and that for this band it might be time to call it a day? I'd find leaving difficult because the band has been a part of my life for 4 years. We have a good reputation and still have a load of gigs booked for the rest of the year but sometimes its best just to do the honorable thing before things start to come apart at the seams. Like with a girlfriend and the arguments start - retrospectively you wish you'd have broken up with her sooner cos you have moved on and look back at it as time wasted.

I honestly don't know what to do. Lookin for some ideas and suggestions.

I think this is one of those situations where nobody can tell you what to do apart from yourself. Like, if you weight up the pros and cons and decide to leave, then that's your choice. If it's all amicable then you could come to an agreement with the other guys and leave after you've played the current booked gigs, giving them a chance to hire someone else or do whatever they want to do. On the other hand, if you do still enjoy it for all the right reasons, then why put an end to it because things are changing? It could take you in a new direction that you enjoy more than you expected to.

It's one of those where there's no point in making a rash decision if you're still enjoying it on any level. At least you're all communicating and things are still being discussed in a friendly manner. Think of it as this – you're getting on with the band members/friends, you're getting booked for gigs, you're still popular. If you don't enjoy the new direction, talk to them about it. But see how it goes. :)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1189202' date='Apr 5 2011, 04:13 PM']I think the fact that you guys have talked about it already is encouraging.
Stick with it. It's even worse to look back and think "I wish I'd tried harder".

Truckstop[/quote]

High five for saying what I was essentially saying, only in two lines instead of EIGHT MILLION.

Ramble ramble ramble.

Get a second band as a side project, then if this one does fall to bits you've got something else to do. Being in a similar position I've just started 2 side projects, and my main band has come back to life with a vengeance, leaving me with no spare time, oh well... don't listen to me, it will backfire. :)

I think it's virtually impossible to fully nail something on a forum when you've only read a couple of paragraphs but my impressions echo the replies you've had so far. Just remember more time away from home does have an impact sometimes if you do consider a side project

I'd be tempted to look at side projects as it can be very depressing leaving a band you've worked hard with in order to build reputation etc and going back to square one again. I certainly would give it a chance and see how it pans out.

Our band sometimes encounters one member or another feeling unsettled and 9 times in 10 it all just settles back down. The 1 time it doesn't can often lead to a change for the better.

Thanks guys.

We had such a rubbish gig on Saturday - i sent an email on the Sunday saying that we needed to sharpen up (myself included). I guess this may have been the thing that prompted the guitarist to say what he said yesterday. I just feel very sad about the whole thing really. I guess i didn't see it coming.

I have another project on the go but it is writing and recording with no view to gigging. I am a gigging muso. Its in my blood and don't feel right unless i am part of a gigging band. Perhaps another issue is that the guitarist who negotiates most of the gigs is in a position to really affect how busy or not the band will be.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1189246' date='Apr 5 2011, 04:32 PM']I am a gigging muso. Its in my blood and don't feel right unless i am part of a gigging band.[/quote]

Then why are you limiting yourself with the one band that doesn't satisfy your need to play? Get out there!

Maybe just take a break. Three to six months, even a year away from the musical radar could be just the antidote to recharge batteries and reinvigorate musical passions. I stepped away from music altogether for eight months and it was the best thing I could of done at the time. It helped give me perspective and may help you guys do the same. Band fatigue is terrible when it happens, but it's not unsurmountable :)

I've always found that when the rot sets in, that's it.

I've normally ploughed on for a bit longer hoping things will improve, which is what they've never done!

You normally get a vibe when things are going down....listen to your little voice, and do what makes you happy.

[quote name='spongebob' post='1189313' date='Apr 5 2011, 05:16 PM']listen to your little voice, and do what makes you happy.[/quote]
probably get arrested if i were to do that - seriously i know what you mean.

that said i got home and there is an email from the guitarist expressing love for the band and saying how good it was to talk...i am a bit confused.

I think i will keep an eye out for another project in case things go tits up. Thanks for your thoughts.

[quote name='spongebob' post='1189313' date='Apr 5 2011, 05:16 PM']I've always found that when the rot sets in, that's it.

I've normally ploughed on for a bit longer hoping things will improve, which is what they've never done!

You normally get a vibe when things are going down....listen to your little voice, and do what makes you happy.[/quote]

+1. It's happened to us over the past few years and to be honest we should probably have packed it in ages ago but we are rather adept at flagellating a deceased equine. I'm in a similar boat to you in some ways, including not really knowing what to do, so all I can say is good luck!

[quote name='4000' post='1189430' date='Apr 5 2011, 06:23 PM']+1. It's happened to us over the past few years and to be honest we should probably have packed it in ages ago but we are rather adept at flagellating a deceased equine. I'm in a similar boat to you in some ways, including not really knowing what to do, so all I can say is good luck![/quote]
The strange thing is is that the horse is still going with lots of um, fields to plough in the near future :)

Crikey, forget that metaphor...