Why become a member? ×

New Toy!!!!

MythSte

[quote name='ste_m3' post='136108' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:06 PM']okay, heres the best i can do in this light... this bass is bloody gorgeous!!

And the best bit? Its a Cort Curbow and cost £300 brand new... plays and sounds fantastic... im still in awe!!

more to follow at the weekend when i have good light![/quote]
My jaw dropped, literally! That's never happened before... I want a 5-string one!!!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='136137' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:44 PM']Cool! I do like that particular finish. Did you get this one off eBay from one of the US dealers that advertises them, or more locally?[/quote]
If it was from [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Cort-Curbow-4-String-Bass-Fretless-Bartolini-PkUp_W0QQitemZ290202176637QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem"]here[/url], I'm very slightly tempted to go for one myself - I've bought a couple of Trabens from this shop and the guy's a pleasure to deal with :)

You know, i was never actually intending to buy another bass!

But i walked into a small store in preston, saw this and simply thought i HAVE to have that bass!

For anyone wondering, for the £300 i payed, i simply couldnt be happier. It looks even higher quility in the flesh, and feels it too! Really light tiny body, which i love! The same Bart pickup and leccys as in my lakland and yeah! Really nice fast neck.

Still sat here looking at it :)

These things really are Cort's secret weapon - wear it high on a strap, tucked under your arm and you'll hardly know it's there. Super comfortable, and the necks are pretty sleek and slim, too. And best of all, it's about ten times cheaper than the real thing.... They need to bring back the six-string version, fast!

Enjoy Sir!

• 4 weeks later...

I got a blue curbow 4 recently.

Originally it was as a backup bass for gigs, but its not uncommon for it to go as my main weapon for the evening.

Bartolini pickup, beautiful neck, nice tone, pretty stable tuning and less then £300 (think I paid about £250, new with a decent padded bag, but I had to do without the smexy marble). Unbeatable, would recommend them to a beginner or seasoned bassist alike... they're freakin awesome!

--
Martin

Hmm, seem to be seeing a lot of this kind of thing recently... Took a guitarist friend of mine to buy a bass last week, and he made straight for a 5-string, fretted one of these -

(This is the 4 string fretless to directly compare) When I saw it I thought 'Curbow', but it's actually a Hudson Project Bass. Unfortunately, Guitar Guitar in Glasgow only had a 5 and a 6, and Allan was after a 4.

Then, I was in another Glasgow shop and saw a Tanglewood Curbow (£129 S/H) and had to resist the urge to try it, knowing GAS would get the better of me.

So, we have the original Curbow's, the well known Cort version, the lesser known Tanglewood & Hudson..! IIRC, there were actually a lot of Cort/Tanglewood crossovers. Seems like it was Cort in the U.S. and T/wood in the U.K.

Anyway, the only place that seems to sell the Hudson's in the UK is Cranes in Cardiff, though they do have an eBay store - [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Cranes-Music-Store"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Cranes-Music-Store[/url] -

I'm thankful that I have no money, and am fairly happy with what I've got...

KotS

p.s. Gorgeous finish on that Cort, mate..!

Edited by kingofthestuntmen