Why become a member? ×

nice bass video

ian

Yeah this guys is monster - check out his profile - if Jaco is your bag then this guy has totally nailed the Havona solo, the ENTIRE transcription of Jaco's Donna Lee note perfect and a damn fine version of Portrait Of Tracy:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeTRB"]http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeTRB[/url]

I just want to hear some of his own stuff now.

M

A bit too fast and complex for me but I can appreciate the skill - I will let one youtube user's typically eloquent reply say it for me:

"thats balls good" (sic)

The camera/mic on his Nokia n76 is quite good! Maybe I will make a little video on my Viewty to try it out

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136029' date='Feb 7 2008, 08:06 PM']No. I wish there was a way to ignore crap like this. There is some cool stuff on YouTube like The Ox isolated bass and Jamerson but bedroom w***ers do nothing for me. Can he entertain people for an evening like ian at his Motown revue. I know what I think.[/quote]

Absolutely fair comment - Wooten's 'Classical Thump' is not IMO a great listen just a very technical exercise - but I still think his Jaco stuff is very well done - if you don't like it fair enough

Mike

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136029' date='Feb 7 2008, 08:06 PM']No. I wish there was a way to ignore crap like this. There is some cool stuff on YouTube like The Ox isolated bass and Jamerson but bedroom w***ers do nothing for me. Can he entertain people for an evening like ian at his Motown revue. I know what I think.[/quote]

How is this crap??

If he's the guy I think he is then he's from your neck of the woods and held down a resident gig nearby for a couple of years- so he can play solo and ensemble bass whereas I can't.
Getting tired of people being knocked when they "show off"
Is this guy a bedroom w***er?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLmQRUq7l14&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLmQRUq7l14...feature=related[/url]

He's at home having a good old w**k on his bass but as he isn't playing 'Midnight Hour' do we presume he can't groove? The truth is he's one of our most talented young bassists.
Joe isn't in his league but he executes some tricky stuff brilliantly.

Ian was right- it's a good bass video.

[quote name='chardbass' post='136107' date='Feb 7 2008, 10:02 PM']How is this crap??

If he's the guy I think he is then he's from your neck of the woods and held down a resident gig nearby for a couple of years- so he can play solo and ensemble bass whereas I can't.
Getting tired of people being knocked when they "show off"
Is this guy a bedroom w***er?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLmQRUq7l14&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLmQRUq7l14...feature=related[/url]

He's at home having a good old w**k on his bass but as he isn't playing 'Midnight Hour' do we presume he can't groove? The truth is he's one of our most talented young bassists.
Joe isn't in his league but he executes some tricky stuff brilliantly.

Ian was right- it's a good bass video.[/quote]
Well said that man.

I am an old fashioned soul who believes music should have rhythm and melody. If you cant hum it, it is not a tune and if it is not a tune then it becomes a random selection of notes, sometimes played very fast and with great technical ability, but it is not music.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136245' date='Feb 8 2008, 07:18 AM']I am an old fashioned soul who believes music should have rhythm and melody. If you cant hum it, it is not a tune and if it is not a tune then it becomes a random selection of notes, sometimes played very fast and with great technical ability, but it is not music.[/quote]

Fair enough fella but I can hum/sing Donna Lee - I can't play it as good as Joe that's for sure! But the point is it's all a matter of taste - if you don't like this stuff no one is forcing it on you, I don't want you to like any of the music I like - but I'm not offended by that - the rhythm and melody argument in music can be applied to just about every style - even free jazz - there are melodies and rhythms galour - they just aren't the ones you like! :)

Look let's keep this civil as I've seen a million threads like this on TB and a few on BC that end up being those that like chops players and those that don't - I like all types of bass playing from in the pocket reggae to stupidly fast jazz fusion - each have their place and each have their audience - comparing Jaco's Donna Lee or Wooten's Classical Thump to a classic Motown tune is comparing completely different musical styles - but BOTH can make the listener (if that's the style thhat they love) feel something - technical bass wan*ery is boring most of the time but I still think - if it's well done - it has its place. Feel free to disagree - but like I say it's all down to taste - and no one is bashing your taste in music - you have good taste!

M

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136245' date='Feb 8 2008, 07:18 AM']I am an old fashioned soul who believes music should have rhythm and melody. If you cant hum it, it is not a tune and if it is not a tune then it becomes a random selection of notes, sometimes played very fast and with great technical ability, but it is not music.[/quote]

I'm in bed with you but with one leg out :) Not my precise cup of tea but I'm open to almost everything.

As you live in the past, do you still have all your gear insured for witchcraft, fire and Luddites :huh:

Hamster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='136245' date='Feb 8 2008, 08:18 AM']I am an old fashioned soul who believes music should have rhythm and melody. If you cant hum it, it is not a tune and if it is not a tune then it becomes a random selection of notes, sometimes played very fast and with great technical ability, but it is not music.[/quote] +1 i appreciate his skill, but its very boring to watch.(this is prob because ive seen alot of this type of playing) i find most technical showcases like ultra fast slapping and tapping, double thumbing, on You Tube tiresome and obnoxious. These techniques are to be used sparingly(IMHO). I much prefer to hear a melodic groove(some of the Gospel cats) or an ORIGINAL solo..

This is nothing personal to this guy in particular, as im sure hes got alot up his bass sleeve, but there is just to much, 'look at what i can do' on the net..(IMHO) :)

And Bass Ferret is not living in the past hes believes in the bread and butter that every bass player should base there playing around..The Music!!

Oh what would a pianist do without all there special techniques!!?? i guess they would have to go back to playing melodic structured music!!

Edited by bubinga5

Top of their tree players, good luck to them!

not for me either, but I'm a lazy sh**e bag on bass anyways!

like this young guitar player though - really enjoys playing...I like that! He's also played in a duel with Paul Gilbert.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qwCwonP00"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qwCwonP00[/url]