Why become a member? ×

Discovered a great band last night - Laid Blak from Bristol

xilddx

Played a gig last night and Mr DJ put this on while we were setting up. I went, sh*t! What's the f*** is this, baby?! He said Laid Blak, good aren't they!

They certainly are! I bought the album today.

Some lovely bass on this too, and, well it's all good. The lyrics are interesting too, not what you think they might be at the start.

Also check out Bristol Love, another great number of theirs with an official video.

EDIT: I just found the official video so I've replaced the previous fanboi one with it. I've not stopped listening to this album since I got it yesterday, it's really, REALLY GOOD!

Edited by silddx

The keyboard player in my band Zang Tang is also the keys player in Laid Blak!!

I will pass on your comments to him tomorrow.

[quote name='silddx' post='1183775' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:42 PM']Played a gig last night and the Mr DJ put this on while we were setting up. I went, sh*t! What's the f*** is this, baby?! He said Laid Blak, good aren't they!

I bought the album today.

Some lovely bass on this too, and, well it's all good. The lyrics are interesting too, not what you think they might be at the start.

[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1183940' date='Mar 31 2011, 09:23 PM']The keyboard player in my band Zang Tang is also the keys player in Laid Blak!!

I will pass on your comments to him tomorrow.[/quote]
Christ, brilliant! Please do. I've been listening to the album on my mp3 player all night tonight :) Love it!

The DJ was DJ Postscript who's the resident DJ for Cargo in London, and for Unstable Promotions who we played for last night at Proud Galleries Camden. [url="http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115710658506586"]http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115710658506586[/url] He was really good!

I will check out Zang Tang too mate!

All the best.

I can find out what he uses but we share the same rehearsal room and last week I saw a Peavey TNT Bass combo in there!!!

[quote name='Flanker' post='1184298' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:35 AM']I downloaded 'Red' this morning. Nice track, maybe download the album.

Anyone know what bass gear he's using...............I somehow doubt it's a Skjold through Genz Benz? :)[/quote]

[quote name='Flanker' post='1184298' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:35 AM']I downloaded 'Red' this morning. Nice track, maybe download the album.

Anyone know what bass gear he's using...............I somehow doubt it's a Skjold through Genz Benz? :)[/quote]
Not sure but it's a fairly big rig he's using live. Lovely bass tones on the album. He plays a lovely line on a ska track, really nice! In fact the whole production is great, clean and deep and very nice on the ears. I had the album on the headphones for about four hours last night and never got tired of it, no stupid maxed out mastering.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1184307' date='Apr 1 2011, 09:43 AM']I can find out what he uses but we share the same rehearsal room and last week I saw a Peavey TNT Bass combo in there!!![/quote]
Ahh, the classic rehearsal room combo. The one we use has a puke-worthy Behringer stack. Does the job for rehearsal though.

Thanks.

Just interested really. Lovely tone.

Turning everything Treble related [b]Off [/b]and everything saying Bass [b]On[/b] I can get close but not quite..........:)

Quite good considering my HiFi gear.(Skjold /Glock/ Berg)

Edit:On the You Tube video Looks like a standard P bass and Eden 410 cabs with large amp containing Valves.

Edited by Flanker

[quote name='Rasta' post='1184329' date='Apr 1 2011, 10:09 AM']Niceness, ras it up. Great vibes :)

Think i may look for the album mi self :lol:[/quote]
Haha! I thought you would like it :)

I was thinking of PMing you with a link to this thread.

Glad you found it :D

I've been meaning to get their album, top stuff, thanks for reminding me.

I've been working in an office with an old mate the last couple of weeks listening to his playlists and I've got a huge number of albums I need to buy as a result. Then I need to send The Skints some money to finish their next album, it's all go in pop music isn't it? And people say there's no good records any more. Pfft.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1183940' date='Mar 31 2011, 09:23 PM']The keyboard player in my band Zang Tang is also the keys player in Laid Blak!![/quote]
Ah jack, he's a good guy, great player too. Had a sweet funk jam with him (and a second bassist!) at the end of one of his mr wolf nights.

Edited by ZMech

Yeah he is pretty handy, good song-writer too.

[quote name='ZMech' post='1236523' date='May 19 2011, 12:36 AM']Ah jack, he's a good guy, great player too. Had a sweet funk jam with him (and a second bassist!) at the end of one of his mr wolf nights.[/quote]